Shed workbench designs

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Had one of those multi-direction vices at my old work. Bluddy awesome thing, well worth getting.

When the shop was getting renovated a few years back, Bossman took me to Bunnies to go vice shopping. I wanted something useful for suspension servicing, looked at a few others but as soon as I saw the multi I knew it was The One.

Can't remember which, but it was either a Dawn or Record, not some cheap shit house-brand. Boss said "go nuts, Giant are paying for it" or something to that effect, so had the freedom to get a good one. :D

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not trying to go one better but my old Porsche was inherited 3 houses ago and been moved each time, only added the Bunnings special a few weeks ago as old 911 turbo doesn't grip bolts too well. Haven't used new Bunnings yet apart from tapping shock hardware in on the flat surface. It was $39 vs $249 but you have to draw the line somewhere.

View attachment 398956
You’ve got teenage kids, my oldest is 5. Time is on my side!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I need my head read, sold an offset 150mm dawn for waaaaaaay too cheap a decade ago when I thought it was too big for the workshop.

If you’re going to beat the snot out of things in the vice, don’t get a multifunction variant, no matter how hard you try, it will spin on you.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I say yes too, I watched this the other night and started having crazy ideas of bending pipes for a 2 into 1 for the new Ducati project bike but have serious multifunction vice envy.and started having crazy ideas of bending pipes for a 2 into 1 for the new Ducati project bike but have serious multifunction vice envy.
Ha ha, back in the day, I’d watch a local Cooper S tuning guru bend up heaps of trick extractors for souped up minis. He’d bend some welding wire into the correct shape and then go to work… perfection every time.

He also taught me how to dial in cams, how to grind desmo shims, how to port heads… though I fucked one learning. And tons of other stuff too.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Questionable quality longspan racking owners unite! Mine was from Creek Brothers in Victoria.

It's functional but the steel certainly isn't as thick as the proper industrial stuff (but at that price it's functional)

I bought 4x2m wide kits and set up these in the "Bike shed" (which was taken over by other stuff) and 1 set in the garden shed

Pegboard and Hardwood "project Panel" from Bunnos and screwed into the cross members.

Bunnos even cut it all to size.

Still need to actually finish the peg board and tidy the place but I've been prioritising "training"

PXL_20230108_231157967_copy_2016x1512.jpg
PXL_20230421_012458046_copy_2016x1512.jpg
PXL_20230421_012503911_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
The joys of having a level flat floor... I'm going for a timber self built shelf as well just to maximise use of the space available and deal with the stupid sloped and stepped floor.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The joys of having a level flat floor... I'm going for a timber self built shelf as well just to maximise use of the space available and deal with the stupid sloped and stepped floor.
There are varying degrees of "level" in my floor...
Hidden under the gym mats is a 4 way seam where all 4 slabs have a different level.

FWIW the gym mats have been a great investment for sound deadening and for dropped items

At some point I need to semi line the roof at a minimum as it gets direct afternoon sun

Haakon

Went to perve on some vices, 125mm ones are going to be too big. And Dawn dont make the funky multi purpose one in 100mm. Further research required...

teK--

Eats Squid
Went to perve on some vices, 125mm ones are going to be too big. And Dawn dont make the funky multi purpose one in 100mm. Further research required...
Check my setup! 150 jaws in 100 vice FTW... I also found the 150 vice to be way too long for my bench.

Haakon

Check my setup! 150 jaws in 100 vice FTW... I also found the 150 vice to be way too long for my bench.
the 125mm ones are just too big overall. Overkill for what I need.

Suspect I might be overthinking it, a normal style Dawn 100mm is 170 bucks, should just get that and move on! I'd never heard of the multipurpose ones before, so not something i was missing!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Get an offset vice is my advice.
Soooo nice.