Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The place is honestly a write-off at this point.
IT's all about the time of day you get there (I was later than intended today). But that was the only prob I had the whole ride. It's "crowded" there now, but I've been lucky enough to not have too many incidents. Had enough to know not to ride there during peak hour though.

Once I've rebuilt my fitness I'll ride out back more as I don't expect too many fools out there.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You can only learn bombing the D

What is the current etiquette here. I always give newbies a bit of space to enjoy the trail and do expect them to pull over when they hit a trail junction.
Pretty much it, I reckon. Be respectful - unlike the woman referenced above - give a little, expect a little, etc.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Conversation heard as I got to the top of Stromlo, just before you hit Wedgetail and all the fast sections. Discussion had between two mothers of some family groups riding new shiny bikes, fairly decent Treks/Giants, all OEM specced:

Mother #1: When we're going down, if somebody faster catches up to us, we don't have to stop and let them pass, do we? (said with that touch of condescension towards people who want to ride fast and not a family-friendly cruising speed that best suited her preferences)
Mother #2: Some people do, but you don't have to.

I chose not to uphold the standard of etiquette that suggests those who summit first descend first.
I'm always slow so I'll always give way. Most of the time I get a "thanks", once I got told off though. They said "you shouldn't have to stop and let people past, we'll just go around you". Yeah but, they tell me they're there and I'll tell them when I'm stopping to let them past. Besides, I don't need witnesses to my shit riding!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Nearly ran straight over someones trail dog the other day, it was running up a downhill track on a blind corner. Literally inches in it. The owner was down the trail looking at a trail feature.
I really dont want to end up in hospital because someone cant leave their dog at home.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nearly ran straight over someones trail dog the other day, it was running up a downhill track on a blind corner. Literally inches in it. The owner was down the trail looking at a trail feature.
I really dont want to end up in hospital because someone cant leave their dog at home.
And dogs shouldn’t be off-leash in the bush either.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a go at some prick at my local trails for this. I love dogs, but tried to explain to him that the dog off a leash in a park where they're banned is a bad idea in the first place. Then I explained to him that there are snakes everywhere here, and he responds that he's seen them everywhere also and that his dog kills them all the time. Then I responded that it will cost you a fair bit once you need to go to a vet to get the dog treated, and he just replied that he will buy a new dog. I nearly got off my bike to smash him in the face, his misses stood beside him apologising and also giving him a mouthful.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'll say it: trail dogs are as annoying and dangerous and anyone who takes their dog on a trail where you're bound to see other riders is selfish AF.

I don't care how smart and careful your dog is, I don't know what your dog is like, meaning I have to be risk averse around it no matter what. If fucks other people around and puts the dog in danger. Keep them off the trails and out of the national parks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I fuck and love dogs...but...

I used to get into people about it at my local, as there is plenty of signage saying no dogs and the Rangers have taken the time to make signage explaining why dogs aren't permitted. Now it is so prevalent that I have just given up. But fuck I hate it when I come across them on the trail!

mark22

Likes Dirt
I had a go at some prick at my local trails for this. I love dogs, but tried to explain to him that the dog off a leash in a park where they're banned is a bad idea in the first place. Then I explained to him that there are snakes everywhere here, and he responds that he's seen them everywhere also and that his dog kills them all the time. Then I responded that it will cost you a fair bit once you need to go to a vet to get the dog treated, and he just replied that he will buy a new dog. I nearly got off my bike to smash him in the face, his misses stood beside him apologising and also giving him a mouthful.
Here here!
I've seen a few doing this at Ironbark SE Qld it's a really stupid move as far as the dogs welfare is concerned one of the trails is 2.3 km up and 2.7km down.

Poor muts are hot and stressed as after that, also no way any of them are as fast down the trail as a reasonable rider.
Personally I don't care if folk have their (well behaved) dogs off leash anywhere in the bush as long as it's not on single track MTB trails.
Dogs are great animals, if you are the alpha of the pack, act in their best interest please and take them to the dog beach/river, that shit is next level dog heaven.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Here here!
I've seen a few doing this at Ironbark SE Qld it's a really stupid move as far as the dogs welfare is concerned one of the trails is 2.3 km up and 2.7km down.

Poor muts are hot and stressed as after that, also no way any of them are as fast down the trail as a reasonable rider.
Personally I don't care if folk have their (well behaved) dogs off leash anywhere in the bush as long as it's not on single track MTB trails.
Dogs are great animals, if you are the alpha of the pack, act in their best interest please and take them to the dog beach/river, that shit is next level dog heaven.
It's not that simple even if they are well-behaved, the dog's scent actually scares off wildlife. These weren't trail dogs either, just a bunch of local idiots, the dogs nearly ended up under my wheels then go off into the creek chasing something in full view of us all. There has been wild dog baits and traps laid in this park also, just irresponsible fuckwits.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dog should not be National parks and the greenies in my local area tell me mtb riders should not be there as well.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'll say it: trail dogs are as annoying and dangerous and anyone who takes their dog on a trail where you're bound to see other riders is selfish AF.
I'll take a well trained Trail Dog over most riders any day of the week and I'm more than happy to be called selfish AF as a result.
Fairly ironic given this thread is about poor trail etiquette of humans, but again poor dog behaviour is not the fault of the animal but the human.

madstace

Likes Dirt
I love dogs (maybe not as much as @pink poodle), so while I know generally their being in a NP is meant to be a no-no, if they're on a leash which has a responsible owner at the other end, I'm usually pretty happy to see it. It's where the leash is there for show, sometimes literally as the owner doesn't even have a hold of it, that I get pretty shitty (with the shitty human that is). Trail dogs are another thing, but ultimately while the owner may have a handle of their training and abilities, when a rider comes across them on the trail, it's only ever going to appear to them as a dog off a leash that they need to worry about.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
the dog's scent actually scares off wildlife.
Exactly. I took my last dog for a night walk on my local trails once a very long time ago with a (a the time) special lady. We all had a blast and the dog absolutely loved the chance to run fairly wild and free through the bush. Not long afterwards I found out about this issue and didn't take the dog there again.

The area is in a fairly constant state of ongoing rehabilitation as it is after a long history of mining, land clearing, pollution, and being used as a tip. What few animals have rented there don't need the added pressure of my dog so I can feel good vibes.

Shorsau

Likes Dirt
Forestry SA allow dogs off leash in certain areas, as long as they are under effective control. These are generally areas with 4wd track access and not single tracks. Not sure what other states forestry rules are? I take my dog to these areas 3-4 times a week and have seen about two other bike riders there in the last year...a few horses though.

Attachments