sensual seduction

Ty

Eats Squid
still not sure about the whole thing. cool clip though

I haven't seen a vocoder tube used in a long long time (Vocoder tubes are more disgusting than a tuba spit valve)

NCR600

Likes Dirt
who ever thought snoop dogg would be making this stuff?!
Snoop Dogg makes whatever his manager and marketing consultants tell him will sell low quality Mp3 downloads on Itunes.

Ty, I think it's a talk box, a vocoder is purely electronic and I think was originally used for scrambling phone calls etc until various electronic artists started using them for vocal effects in movies and music. I haven't got the faintest idea how either works, but I know the talk box produces a similar, but less extreme effect using much lower technology (possibly not even electronic. I don't really know, but someone here will)

Matt H

Eats Squid
Ty, I think it's a talk box, a vocoder is purely electronic and I think was originally used for scrambling phone calls etc until various electronic artists started using them for vocal effects in movies and music. I haven't got the faintest idea how either works, but I know the talk box produces a similar, but less extreme effect using much lower technology (possibly not even electronic. I don't really know, but someone here will)
I think talk boxes work by the sound of the instrument comes out of a speaker and into a tube that goes into the musicians mouth. It means that changing the shape of your mouth changes the way the instrument sounds... or something like that.

I remember reading about some musician who was recording with one that wasn't working properly without putting it further down his throat, thus producing a gag reflex... lol.

Ty

Eats Squid
a talk box is closer to what is used in the background of fat boy slims, weapon of choice, which is a fully electronic generated voice triggered by key strokes or programing (basic midi sequence normally).

vocoders (voice encoders) uses a real voice/sound imput simlar to any other effect such as reverb, echo, etc etc. in this case the tube would go to a PZM mic possibly in the keytar. The most common use of "vocoders" these days is to pitch correct (shhh).

of course in the video it's just a prop and it would all be done in post production (hopefully with alot less spit/dribble).

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Here's the real answer from the vocoder page of wiki

"More recently, the combination of using vocoders and pitch-correction software can be heard in many of T-Pain's songs, as well as the 2007 single Sensual Seduction by Snoop Dogg."

So it is just a prop. You wouldn't believe how many comments on the youtube page for that video believe it is meant to be some sort of bong!

That'll learn me to read articles before posting them up!

Last edited:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I'm not so quick to bag out Snoop after seeing him do some freestyle, and little insult battles on an MTV show. He just stood there and destroyed the entire opposing team - no pauses, no doubt, just obviously superior and smooth. The man is good.

Strangely, I don't mind that song/clip (seen it before).

ps. Hai Anderson a/s/l? ;)