Second Hand Bike Recommendation

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
"The balmain of newcastle" if you're a real estate agent...

I all seriousness get the eeeb or at 6.2 feet and bang on your budget chase this up:

Fuck that's an ugly bike. It looks like a Haro impregnated a sausage then that sausage found the clam of a Mongoose Boot'R and they made stuff. Yuck.

Jpez

Down on the left!
We are also caring and understanding so realise there is a journey. Usually goes hardtail, cheap dually, upgrades, expensive dually, then upgrades. Then more upgrades and before you know it you’ve spent an unspeakable sum of money.
so to save you all that trauma we recommend you add a 1 onto the front of the budget figure and go all the way to the top shelf and order an Acto5 P train. Get it all over with. It is the way.
Thank us later.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
oh that's a damn fine deal on the Ripmo - I'd get that over the Norco.
I have this, but with the no longer available sram build kit (most of which will soon be stripped and sold), and it's great bang for the buck.

I haven't given it full send yet (fucking rain and work), but I'll not need more travel than it offers until I am riding a full blown dh trail. Even then I've gotten away with a lot less travel and old school 26 designs on various incarnations of ourimbah dh and the always challenging quarry of death.

Whispers are there's a new Ripmo due, so that may have something to do with it.

Pretty sure it's already landed. Use of straighter tunes in design really hurt my feelings.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Fuck that's an ugly bike. It looks like a Haro impregnated a sausage then that sausage found the clam of a Mongoose Boot'R and they made stuff. Yuck.
Doesnt look much worse than the new Trance X in carbon... Frame designers seemed to have not realised that every new model doesnt need to be different looking just for the sake of being different...

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Doesnt look much worse than the new Trance X in carbon... Frame designers seemed to have not realised that every new model doesnt need to be different looking just for the sake of being different...
But if they don't there's always someone in the comments that says "Looks like a (insert a slightly similar bike here)" ;)

mark22

Likes Dirt
Dunno if this will help, it's from 2021 so thing have moved on even more

You might find a "trail" version of an "xc" bike normally has around 120mm, will be closer geometry to what your used to, and maybe more suited to fire trail riding?

But on the geometry thing, I had a 20 year break from MTB and there was no "getting used to" modern geometry from my perspective. Modern bikes are way more capable than anything before.
The reach on bikes has increased dramatically in the Pinkbike comparison.
Even recently my new bike M has longer reach than my old 2017 enduro L.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The reach numbers have gone up but remember that's measured from the bb to the headtube. The steeper the seat angle the more reach you need to have the same effective top tube length.

The steeper seat angle and slacker head tubes of modern geo also means that frames don't "auto-adjust" was well as they used to. Eg. If you put the seat up on a medium frame and raise the bars then the room in the cockpit actually gets smaller.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The reach numbers have gone up but remember that's measured from the bb to the headtube. The steeper the seat angle the more reach you need to have the same effective top tube length.

The steeper seat angle and slacker head tubes of modern geo also means that frames don't "auto-adjust" was well as they used to. Eg. If you put the seat up on a medium frame and raise the bars then the room in the cockpit actually gets smaller.
And for us taller folk thank Fark for that. Running the dropper full height on older geos meant wheelies all day long but a shitful time trying to keep the front wheel on the ground during climbs. Steep ST’s all day long for me thanks.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And for us taller folk thank Fark for that. Running the dropper full height on older geos meant wheelies all day long but a shitful time trying to keep the front wheel on the ground during climbs. Steep ST’s all day long for me thanks.
As a fellow taller folk, can concur.

RastaRuss

Likes Dirt
Norco Fluid, more trail /XC or a Optic, more all mountain ish.
Good Optic's are coming up as Muppets go the high pivot wanky fest Optic.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All Terrain.... Im 6.2 189cm and will just be riding fire trails etc
Bugger. I’m gonna have a pimp spec Evil for sale pretty soon but you are a gazelle and I’m a wombat so it won’t fit.

I’d say any of the top manufacturers out there make solid bikes so like anything second hand it would come down to condition, spec and price.

I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know but don’t pay any deposits as it’s the latest Facebook scam.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
How people can (and more often can't) climb the steep techy stuff is a whole other ballgame, but the point I'd make with modern geo and tall guys is don't just rely on the reach figures. Yeah they seem huge but they don't tell the whole story of cockpit room. Steep seat tubes are great but you absolutely need to get the right size frame and this becomes a potential PITA when you are in-between sizes. eg. A higher seat on a large will not get you the same cockpit room as an XL even though the reach numbers on the 2024 large will be much longer than the 2014 large.

Put another way, if you're buying a modern geo bike get the right frame size. Putting the seat up, spacers under the bars, high rise bars etc. will all make the cockpit smaller.

Jpez

Down on the left!
How people can (and more often can't) climb the steep techy stuff is a whole other ballgame, but the point I'd make with modern geo and tall guys is don't just rely on the reach figures. Yeah they seem huge but they don't tell the whole story of cockpit room. Steep seat tubes are great but you absolutely need to get the right size frame and this becomes a potential PITA when you are in-between sizes. eg. A higher seat on a large will not get you the same cockpit room as an XL even though the reach numbers on the 2024 large will be much longer than the 2014 large.

Put another way, if you're buying a modern geo bike get the right frame size. Putting the seat up, spacers under the bars, high rise bars etc. will all make the cockpit smaller.
Very true. I think most of us here can read the geo charts snd make an educated decision. My last three frames I bought without a test ride. I poured over the charts and luckily all frames fit me well. But someone less nerdy than us might easily end up on the wrong size frame and blame the bike.
Especially when taking advice from the sales kid at the bike store that wants to move that bike on the floor that’s been sitting for too long or going off their prior experience a decade ago.