Scientists Break the Speed of Light (apparently)

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find this hard to believe/understand, But I have no idea, really.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=475587

It was supposed to be the one speed limit you cannot break.

But scientists claim to have demonstrated there is the possibility of travel faster than the speed of light.

The feat contradicts one of the key tenets of Einstein's special theory of relativity - that nothing, under any circumstances, can move faster than 186,000 miles per second, or the speed of light.

Travelling faster than light also, in theory, turns back time. According to conventional physics, an astronaut moving beyond light speed would arrive at his destination before leaving.

But two German physicists claim to have forced light to overcome its own speed limit using the strange phenomenon of quantum tunnelling, in which particles summon up the energy to cross an apparently uncrossable barrier.

Their experiments focused on the travel of microwave photons - energetic packets of light - through two prisms.

When the prisms were moved apart, most photons reflected off the first prism they encountered and were picked up by a detector.

But a few appeared to "tunnel" through a gap separating them as if the prisms were still held together.

Although these photons had travelled a longer distance, they arrived at their detector at the same time as the reflected photons. This suggests that the transit between the two prisms was faster than the speed of light.
Dr Gunter Nimtz, of the University of Koblenz, told the magazine New Scientist: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."
Note 7 has a link to the paper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunneling#_note-nim_1

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I don't know about quantum tunnelling(barrier penetration),but if they are right,then 100 years of knowledge on this subject is wrong,this theory of einstein (theory of relativity)has been tested under lot's of different circumstances and has been proven correct every time,even the cosmological constant that einstein called " his greatest blunder " has started under testing to be looking true.
I don't beleive that this german thing will be true,it has been proven too many times that you cannot violate this rule,even in quantum mechanic's where E=MC2 is vital.
We need absolute proof otherwise i for one will not beleive.
Just my opinion!

RCOH

Eats Squid
^^ You forgot to carry the 2. :p

Does this mean intergalactic travel is only around the corner?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I don't know about quantum tunnelling(barrier penetration),but if they are right,then 100 years of knowledge on this subject is wrong,this theory of einstein (theory of relativity)has been tested under lot's of different circumstances and has been proven correct every time
WARNING! Nitpicking Alert!

Actually, I think what you'll find is that the experimental results have supported the theory and not contradicted it. That's not the same as proving it correct.

Terry Pratchet long ago postulated that the only thing that moves faster than light is Royal Succession. They tried torturing a small monarch multiple times to a near death condition in order to modulate the signal but could never produce a functional transmission using the system.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
the speed of light limit only applies locally, ie to things close together and the speeds are relative to each other

But on a big scale it doesn't apply ie the opposite sides of the universe are expanding away form each other much faster.

Last edited:

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
the speed of light limit only applies locally, ie to things close together and the speeds are relative to each other

But on a big scale it doesn't apply ie the opposite sides of the universe are expanding away form each other much faster.
Sorry to be another nitpicker....

The objects arent actually moving away from each other, its the fabric of the cosmos is actually expanding... imagine sticking 10cent coins to the outside of a ballon (which represents the cosmos) then inflate the balloon. This is a 2D example of what scientists currently believe is happening with the expansion of the universe..

source = The Fabric of the Cosmos: Brian Greene

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
They cleaaaaaarly forgot to take into account alpha decay and optical aberrations aswell as total internal refraction. It's just simple physics. Anyone knows some super-mega-gama-alpha ray can go the speed of light..... Just that no-one knows that super-beta-alpha-gama-evanecant-microwaves can't go faster than a santa cruz v-10

OBVIOUSLY

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Sorry to be another nitpicker....

The objects arent actually moving away from each other, its the fabric of the cosmos is actually expanding... imagine sticking 10cent coins to the outside of a ballon (which represents the cosmos) then inflate the balloon. This is a 2D example of what scientists currently believe is happening with the expansion of the universe..

source = The Fabric of the Cosmos: Brian Greene
So are you saying that as time/space expands the objects within it stay the same distance from other?

They most definitely *are* moving away from each other.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
So are you saying that as time/space expands the objects within it stay the same distance from other?

I think you are right because that's how fred hoyle worked out how to use a standard candle ie; a red doppler shift means that it is moving away (star), a stagnant universe would have imploded by now,it has been proven that the universe is expanding which beg's the question that where did it start?
It started at a point(as in 1 tiny atom),then big bang,then ever since we have an expanding universe.
But i think and i may be wrong, is that we stay put and the outside is expanding?i am not sure on this but the universe itself is definitely expanding!

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I prefer blue doppler shift where when you drive fast enough towards a red light it changes first to amber and then back to green :)

scblack

Leucocholic
I prefer blue doppler shift where when you drive fast enough towards a red light it changes first to amber and then back to green :)
Thats the joke where the driver gets off running a red light, using the defence that he saw a green light.

..........So the judge booked him for speeding............:p

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Damn, I've independantly invented the wheel again!
Im writing this down for my next excuse for running a red light!
I can see it now,"but i saw a green doppler shift officer",Son you have the right to remain silent,blah blah blah.
Next thing you know phillip ruddock has called a press conference saying BM Epic we knew all along was a terrorist.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt

No not saying that at all.... As i said, again imagine glueing 10c coins to the outside of a balloon.. then inflate the balloon. You will see that all the coins move away from each other.

The coins represent the objects in the universe, and the balloon represents the fabric of the cosmos. As the fabirc expands the objects appear to be moving away from each other. This is the principle of cosmic inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_inflation This expands on the whole underlying theory, but if you really want to hurt your head about this and why it is so, grab yourself a coffee, some panadol and a copy of "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.
Its an amazing read, though has some concepts in it that take some time to get your head around, and more often than not you will need to re-read sections to take it all in : )
http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Cosmos...2542855?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187657830&sr=8-1