SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

dl79

Likes Dirt
I used the EVO Ralphs and had multiple sidewall tears on rocky trails. Binned those and bought the full UST versions, did not get one flat over 12 months and had the tyres until the tread wore out. Just get the UST versions and don't play around with the so-called tubeless ready EVO's. I found that the UST version resisted my best efforts to rip it off the rim during hard cornering and it held it's shape better when riding hard. The EVO would burp air out quite regularly when riding hard.

I was using the UST version on the last tear as i was informed that was the stronger of the 2. Trying the snake skin atm and it made it through the race and i won so hooray for that!

0psi

Eats Squid
Schwalbe tyre system

Hey hey. Anyone here remember the ad Schwalbe ran a while back that had a little table that showed the best tyre combo depending on the course conditions. It was based around the Nobby Nic, Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. I've tried to find said table online but haven't had any luck. Anyone know where I can find it?

0psi

Eats Squid
You rock my world. I just got a bunch of Schwalbes and was curious to try what they think works. Cheers.

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
I'm curious to know why the rocket ron isn't included into the table?

I'm currently Running a NN/RoRo combo and swear by it!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably was made before the Ron came out which was 2008?

How does the Ron rear go? I thought they would wear out very fast. I'm a Ron front, Ralph rear fan.

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
I haven't done a huge amount of K's with the RoRo on the rear but it hooks up really well on climbs. Can't really tell you about what it's like through mud. It wears quicker than a NN though due to the smaller knobs. FWIW if I bought my tyres locally I'd be a bit more worried about wear as Schwalbe's are way more expensive at a LBS. I can't justify it on my income.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I'm curious to know why the rocket ron isn't included into the table?

I'm currently Running a NN/RoRo combo and swear by it!
I just changed to NN/RoRo combo and love it. Was running standard Spesh Captain/Fast trak before so totally different.

Went for a ride that ended up quite muddy and found both the Nics and Rons cut straight through the top layer of mud and found grip easily. Powered me up a hill like they were velcro.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ron's are brilliant, but schwalbe make a point of the fact that they are not as tough as the others in the line up (race design). As an example I used a set of rons on the falls creek to mt beauty alpine assault course and although they held up, the rear was trashed (cuts everywhere, 3 decent bulges and a few missing tread blocks) and the front was only marginally better. Both were toast at the end (not surprising and what i sort of anticipated). I've since run nics on that ride and they didn't show any damage, mariginaly slower climbing and not as comfortable as the ron as a back tyre, better up front is what i find. I like the Ron's, but I wish they would do a more robust version.

Old C

Likes Bikes
I find the RoRo to be OK on the rear on wet days, but very unreliable on the front in almost all conditions. If it is dry pack, the RoRo are terrible on both ends. If you are on a 29er, they are better, but not great IMO. They are very light though.

Ive been running the triple compound snakeskin premium Racing Ralphs on my Spearfish front and rear. I've found they are great new, but around 40 to 50% worn they turn loose and ugly. Even tyre pressure drops don't help much either. A lot of tyre goes to waste when others at similar stage still give good grip.

As an experiment I moved my wheels from my Niner which are fitted with Crossmarks to the Spearfish. The front was about 10% worn and the rear at around 30 to 40% worn. They have out gripped the Racing Ralphs for sure. My thoughts are keeping a new set of RaRa for use in endurance races where weight and grip do count. At $90 each they are a little out of my day to day riding budget when they go off before 50% wear.

bh78

Likes Dirt
2013 schwalbe TL ready rocket rons

So we all know that Schwalbe TL ready evo sidewalls leak and are considered hard to set up tubeless.

Just tried my new RR 2013 2's (different tread and lighter as well). The side wall is different and it held pressure instantly with my usual two cups of Stans.

Good news for schwalbe fans.

Just thought I'd share.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had a Hans Dampf and Racing Ralph tubeless for the last year without issue, they aired up fine and have held pressure fine maybe losing max 1-2 psi a week...

frensham

Likes Dirt
So we all know that Schwalbe TL ready evo sidewalls leak and are considered hard to set up tubeless.
Really? I have had Nobby Nics TL ready on my bike for 2 years now. Couldn't be easier to install (track pump used, no need for a compressor) and have had no problems with them holding air (usual 2 scoops of Stan's).

mxdame

Likes Dirt
I run wicked wills tubeless with no goo for DH,they drop some pressure over a few days but had no real issue with them, if I ran goo I may not get that air loss

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found the only thing tough about getting these things (RaRa's) to work tubeless was getting the bastards on my UST rims. I got them seated with a track pump, and seal straight up with the usual 50ml of the Spex sealant. From what I understand the 2012/13 casings are different, perhaps the higher density rubber makes them less prone to sidewall leakage or bleeding.

I love the Schwalbes, I am looking forward to trying the RoRo up front as I'm currently running RaRa's all round.

bh78

Likes Dirt
Are yes, the usual Burner sarcasm and wit.

Might just be the older Ron's that took a bit of mucking about. Hopefully the new sidewall is a tad tougher. Whilst I've never had a leaf take me out I've lost a tyre to a flinty rock garden.