SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

n00b

Likes Dirt
I got new set of Schwalbe city jets (26x1.75) and I have a couple of questions:

1)Are they any good (abit late for that I know)
2)The maximum pressure is listed as 65 psi, would it be ok to run say 75? as it still feels abit squishy at 65.
3)I paid $18 each for these is that reasonable? (they werent purchased from a bike shop)

Last edited by a moderator:

manny24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its a good price i guess. ive used tht brand b4, they were ok. tire pressure? i sed to put 75-80psi in my comuting bike tire! there fine, any tire will comfortably take a heap more pressure

luckyphil

Likes Dirt
dont worry aboout over-pumping your tire.
the way companies determine "max tire pressure" is by gettin a, electric pump, and pumping the desired tire full of air until it pops. they get that pressure, and halve it. so thearetically, u can pump you tire to about 120 without gettin to worried.

*do not blame me if this doesnt work*

Rik

logged out
To answer your questions: yes, yes, yes... too easy
luckyphil said:
the way companies determine "max tire pressure" is by...
Uhh, do you have anything to base this statement on?

daisyhilldude

Likes Dirt
schwalbe XC tyres

ive bought some schwalbe tyres for my road bike and am reasonably impressed

i get the impression that u either love them or hate them

my question is- has anyone tried schwalbe mtb tyres like little alberts, racing ralphs or fast freds or nobby nic's or any other schwalbe tyres (who thinks of these daft names?)

http://www.bti-usa.com/list.asp?cat=TR&sec=TRTS&mfr=SW

if so what do u thinkof them??

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got Racing Ralphs on my F600, they are sweet but too bloody expensive.
They roll fast and hook up very well, I'd get more but alot of other tyres are just as good for half the money.

The_Hoff

Likes Bikes
Schwalbe tyres

I have been using Schwalbe tyres for while now and love them. I mainly use the Jimmys as they roll damn well for a knobby XC tyre and hook up really well. They are the kind of tyre you can rock up to any race with and know they will be good for the job.

I have used the Fast Freds a few times in races that are predominantly fire road and they seem pretty damn quick, not the grip levels of the Jimmys or Racing Ralphs though as they are pretty close to being a semi-slick.

If I know the race course and it is not going to be too muddy or too loose then I usually chuck on the Racing Ralphs, these things are fast and seem to offer more grip than they should. The tread on them is quite a low profile design and nice and soft so they don't last too long if I use them all the time.

All my tyres are tubeless, they are a few $$$ but so are most good UST tyres so it doesn't bother me too much.

I have never tried their road tyres though, might be next on the list of purchases.

rone

Eats Squid
I use Big Jim 2.25's and they're awesome. I ride mainly in northern NSW but have used them at Daisy and they hook up really well. You can lean on them right up to the point where you think they will let go and they just carry on gripping. Buy some. You will not be disappointed.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have used the racing ralphs in the past & loved them only negatives were the price & wear, The rr wore within about 3months of racing roughly 10 events(I only used them for race events due to cost etc) they were worn pretty bad. As everyone else has stated they are awsome tyres but costly.

Hud

Likes Dirt
I have Racing Ralphs and they are great. Big air volume, light and fast rolling with good grip in dry conditions. In the wet or mud they are not real good they don't climb in the wet either. They wear too quickly for the average punter, and for that reason I won't be buying them again. They are a race tyre though, so this should be expected.

gaunty

Squid
I'm running the cheap wire bead Big Jim (2.25s) which are pretty good all round. Unfortunately the importer is yet to recognise the market for this size AM tyre and you cant get the UST version here in Aust.

The Jimmy would be good for XC only (in a smallish 2.1)

Havnt tried the Ralphs, Freds, Bettys etc

gaunty

Squid
Hud said:
I have a 2.4 front RR and 2.25 rear.
What kinda riding you doing on those big RRs. I was considering the same but was a bit worried about the thickness when crossing over from XC to light FR/DH

Beena

BSC Bikes
gaunty said:
I'm running the cheap wire bead Big Jim (2.25s) which are pretty good all round. Unfortunately the importer is yet to recognise the market for this size AM tyre and you cant get the UST version here in Aust.

The Jimmy would be good for XC only (in a smallish 2.1)

Havnt tried the Ralphs, Freds, Bettys etc
I met with both the importer (Groupe Sportif) and a representative from Schwalbe Germany last week and they do now realise the market for those tyres. In germany they sell more of the really wide tyres in all models than the narrower ones.
I think it will be a slow shift as we convince people that a wide tyre doesn't have to weigh more and be slower and can afford you alot more grip!
But we'll get there...

tuner

Banned
Schwalbe Table Top

i just want to no what Schwalbe Table Tops go like because the side walls fell offaly thin and just what some feed back on them if they blow out very easy and if they roll nice and fast for skate park but still bite down on dirt and dose stuff get stuck in them like glass

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
I herd that they are pretty much the same as Maxxis Holyroller (if im thinking of the right ones) but are a fair bit lighter.
Think there pretty good.