Saddle Bags

bazza

look at me
the topeak bags are awesome, get the clip in ones and they don't move. and suprisingly only get minimal water in them, after taking one on a decent wet ride i found this out! super tough, never had a problem with zips, always easy to remove, organiser pockets etc etc. but i got over saddle bags and went back to back pockets recently.

thompo

Likes Dirt
I've never liked the idea of strapping valuable items in those things but from reviews i have seen i don't think its a problem.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
So clip in over velcro? I was just a bit worried that off a small drop the plastic clip could break... But if theyre tried and true, then ill give it a shot. Im not a heavy rider (63 kgs)

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used velcro and clip ons, I prefer the velcro. It only takes an extra 10 seconds to take on and off, and when it's off it's really off, no clip mount left on the bike.

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
I use a cannondale one, its really small only just fits my tube and a patch kit, but at least it takes the tube out of my jersey. It uses a strap to stay on the seat. I don't like the clip on ones ever since I broke one as it makes it no usable .

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
torpeak

I have used the Torpeak clip style one for ages. The Med will fit a minitool, patch kit and MTB tube.

The micro is good for a road tube, patch kit and levers. Also have the large with an expanded section (it unzips to become bigger). Good for the epic rides when you want to carry extra gear.

I have not had any problems with them coming off, and love the fact that they are easily interchangeable between bikes.

Phantom sell the med and small quite cheaply. 20-25 from memory.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I use a Topeak in medium. There's a loop on the bakc you can fit a rear flashie to, the internal pocket on the back flap will fit a multitool and a ziplock with spare chain links and sram joiner links easily and the pod will fit two mtb tubes, tyre levers and a puncutre kit (or one tube, levers and a CO2)

Have never had the velcro loop at the front of the clips fail on me. Stay put, doesn't flap. All god as far as I can see.

djslow

Likes Bikes
Saddle bag thigh contact

I've read the saddle bag comments with interest but the main problem I've had with the saddle bags I've tried is that they are too wide at the front end and rub on the inside of my thighs. Tolerable for about 5k then progressively more annoying.

Maybe it is my thighs that are the problem not the saddle bag, but has anyone had a similar issue and managed to find a bag that works.

At the moment I'm using an old Look road saddle bag from the late '80s that is skinny and doesn't rub thighs but does swing about a bit. It is also 20 years old so it might not last much longer.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clearly your legs are just big you can't fit a saddle bag there :p.

Seriously though, have you tried a Topeak small or micro clip on? The Topeak bags taper so they are thinner closer to you. The clip on style should place the bag further back too.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use the small Topek clip on. Love it. Can handle a multitool, spare tube, some bling, and if needed a repair kit (getting a bit jammed by that point).

If I need any more I'm usually doing some decent km's so am wearing a hydration pack so it all goes in there.

Cheers,

Coaster

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
another vote for velcro, works well.

always check your sizing, particularly for mtb as I have bought some before that don't fit enough stuff in them.

bazza

look at me
ok, so topeak not so good, or does rotorua just kill saddle bags? the clip one broke on the bag itself and the strap one tore at the stiching. this was only with a fairly small camera inside it. sucked heaps. only 2 things i broke on the trip!

akashra

Eats Squid
I've got two Topeak Small (I think, might be medium) Aero Wedges, one for XC and one on my road bike, and neither have had any problems (except for last weekend when, in a moment of typical me being an idiot, I left home with it completely open, and lost a tube and set of Park tyre levers).
But they've never come open on their own, nothings broken, I've never even seen them ondone when I've gone to take them off or get anything out... and they're not overly expensive either.
Been great.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I've read the saddle bag comments with interest but the main problem I've had with the saddle bags I've tried is that they are too wide at the front end and rub on the inside of my thighs. Tolerable for about 5k then progressively more annoying.

Maybe it is my thighs that are the problem not the saddle bag, but has anyone had a similar issue and managed to find a bag that works.
Are you talking about a triangular frame bag that fits in front of the seatpost under the top tube, or a saddlebag which sits beneath the saddle behind the seat tube? I'm yet to see any saddlebag (aside from the horizontally positioned Brooks ones) that would hit my thighs if the saddle wasn't hitting them already.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
i don't get any thigh drag from mine on either bike. i do rub my tube from time to time (which is taped to the seat post). since i don't flat too often, i imagine the tube that's been on there for close to a year will be cactus by the time i need it :D

Macr

Likes Dirt
Are you talking about a triangular frame bag that fits in front of the seatpost under the top tube, or a saddlebag which sits beneath the saddle behind the seat tube?
No more like this

Funnily enough I haven't found an image of the old Look saddle bags.