Saddle Bags

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Thanks MACR, that's what I thought...

Never had one of them get even close to rubbing the thighs if the saddle itself didn't

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I have a Topeak Aero Wedge Micro (the strap attachment one) - http://www.topeak.com/t8/products/bags/aerowedgepacksstrap.php.

Admittedly I only use it for commuting (I use the Camelbak to stow everything off road) but it has withstood the rigours of that without a problem, including a couple of torrential downpours. All contents remained dry :). There's no rubbing on the legs either as it's tucked away neatly under the saddle.

If I were to use one for off road I'd probably get a slightly bigger version as a WTB 29er tube won't even look like fitting but I think the idea certainly has some merit...

bazza

look at me
what do people do to stop the saddle bag rubbing through the tube? i just leave mine in its box. anyone else do anything differently?

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
what do people do to stop the saddle bag rubbing through the tube? i just leave mine in its box. anyone else do anything differently?
use the snap lock bags from the kitchen or put the tube in an old sock....

plus allen key tool kit goes in a snap lock bag, so it keeps dry and doesnt rub holes in the tube etc..

djslow

Likes Bikes
Saddle Bag rubbing thighs - follow up

Thanks for all the feedback on the saddle bag rubbing the thighs issue. Love that pic of the pink one thanks Macr. Looks gorgeous but I'm just not fast enough to wear pink.

As a note of clarification the pink one is similar to the design of the Look saddle bag I've been using and I don't have any thigh rub problems with that one. I have problems when I try those that are more square in design similar to the shape of the Topeaks described in earlier posts.

After reading this thread I hunted down a Topeak at my LBS and compared this with my more recent saddle bag purchase. The Topeak was definitely more tapered towards the front suggesting it would be an improvement. I was just about to slap down some hard earned on a Topeak when I discovered a very similar looking item (velcro fixtures) branded Schwalbe. It was the only one on the rack and unpriced. The LBS happily let me have it for the bargin price of $15.

I'm happy to say this Schwalbe version has been perfect. Just the right size for a tube, tyre levers and multi tool with no thigh rubbing. Clearly my previous saddle bag purchases were just poorly designed.

Bazza - I haven't heard of problems with the saddle bag rubbing through the tube but I have heard about multi tools wearing holes in tubes. I've recently seen a 'tip' in a magazine (can't remember which one) that suggested separating the tube from the multi tool with a piece of plastic cut from a take-away food container to minimise damage of this kind.

My new saddle bag came with a little velcro baggie inside for the tube to reduce the chance of damage. Seems to work OK so far.