SA P Plate license in Victoria

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey everyone.

I'm driving to the next SA DH round which is in Ararat. I currently have my P's (SA license) but I'm wondering if, when I cross over into Victoria, if SA's P plate rules still apply (100k's max, etc) or if Victoria's apply to me?

If Victoria's apply, can anyone give me some main points? (eg. max speed, etc).

I emailed Vic Roads last week but I haven't got a reply so I'm hoping someone can help me out so I know if I need to do more research or not.

Cheers, Tim

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your state of licance restrictions still apply, but theres no 110km zones between SA and ararat from memory so it doesnt really matter. vic has stuff all 110 zones

Last edited:

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
Just keep in mind that your not allowed to drive a car on vic roads until your 18 unless your on your L's with a supervising driver.
If your not 18 then you might be in some trouble if the cops get you.

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that was one of the things I was thinking of. I'd hope there'd be some leniency, though, considering SA's laws, etc.

Hopefully Vic Roads gets back to me this week. If not I'll call them.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
Shmity is right, you follow vic laws once you cross the border, so if your speed was capped in SA it isnt in Vic =]

But BAC and what not is still .00 and speeding fines and demerits are still there even when your in another state (so gay) :rolleyes:

kizza01

Likes Dirt
My impression is that the Vic road rules apply, however you do not have the P-Plate restrictions that they have, ie your age.

Cya in ararat.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No thats the opposite of what i said. You hold a restricted license. You must follow those restrictions where ever you go. Its the same with NSW green and red p's, its the license that is restricted.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
No thats the opposite of what i said. You hold a restricted license. You must follow those restrictions where ever you go. Its the same with NSW green and red p's, its the license that is restricted.
Yes but the restrictions apply to the contract you signed in your state. Your licence is a contract you signed within your state to adhere to the rules stated, not another states.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes but the restrictions apply to the contract you signed in your state. Your licence is a contract you signed within your state to adhere to the rules stated, not another states.
The restrictions apply to the license you hold. They dont magically disappear when you exit the state. They granted you a license with certain restrictions, weather its passenger, speed or blood alcohol, those restrictions will apply where ever you go. Just the same as if a victorian P plater were to go to SA, the license they hold is not restricted to 100km/h so they are able to drive at the posted speed limits.

Wait you just agreed with me in entirety.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
The restrictions apply to the license you hold. They dont magically disappear when you exit the state. They granted you a license with certain restrictions, weather its passenger, speed or blood alcohol, those restrictions will apply where ever you go. Just the same as if a victorian P plater were to go to SA, the license they hold is not restricted to 100km/h so they are able to drive at the posted speed limits.

Wait you just agreed with me in entirety.
I know haha.

So to set it straight, gibbo can drive under the age of 18 in victoria because his SA licence permits.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know haha.

So to set it straight, gibbo can drive under the age of 18 in victoria because his SA licence permits.
Agreed.

This post IS NOT TOO SHORT

OHHHH i see where we got it wrong, i was replying to patto, but didn't bother to quote him. Silly me.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Ok then, seems like case closed...

sooooooo ararat.

it should be good, interesting to see if he drives.

gibbo4

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going for low key and inconspicuous.

Don't want to spend too much money on petrol. Got the Grip Sport all rigged up to the back and we're ready to go!

Not sure where to put my P plates though... I don't think I'll be hitting anywhere near 100 either :rolleyes: