Running the 1x drivetrain experiment

moorey

call me Mia
You won't, it'll either sit in the cleverly labeled box for ever or I'll end up buying it back after you chopsticks me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Pffft. I think it will go on the rune...eventually. I don’t ride it much, so should last 14 years on one chain.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Meh, I’d just throw some greasy loctite in there and sell it off with a hefty markup. Not worth waiting 14yrs

Reactions: Zaf

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Did the first proper ride on the 1x11 setup today. A bit over 100km, basically 50km out into the Brindies of which we managed to ride over 43km of dirt on the way out. Good mix of single track, fireroad and no-tracks. Used all of the gears. Average speed was over 20km/h but there were also short techo pinches that had the 48t come into play. Also a long climb with speeds between 10-20km/h (about 90 minutes of pretty consistent climbing). The spread of gears was fine but it's the jumps between them that make riding less efficient. If riding solo then less of a problem, but when following a wheel its especially noticeable as you try to match speed (sometimes cadence too fast, sometimes too slow).

Here's my current take on the 1x thing for the riding I do (everything except DH):
- short rides, single track, general cruising around: not a problem, chuck the 10 speed 11-34 cassette on and go (maybe the 11 speed 11-40?);
- long rides (100km, 2000m of climbing) and super techo climbs: do-able with the 11-48 but you know things could be better. Maybe the 1 extra gear of Eagle might make all the difference, but because it starts at 10t I doubt it. Gaps are still too big.
- ultra-long rides (200km, 4000m of climbing): 1x might mean the difference between not finishing or even worse having to walk some bits. Walking your mtb should be reserved only for times when it is not technically possible to ride something, not because you've toasted your legs smashing some hero gear combo. Also, walking is never faster than riding. Walking sucks (unless you're actually bushwalking, but that's a whole different activity). For these rides I'd love to have a front derailleur with 22/32 chainrings and 11-34 cassette.

Might try a 30t front chainring next. I think I can get away with a bit less top end although the descent from 1100 to 400m gave the 11t a pretty solid workout.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Quick update. I've ditched the Garbaruk 11-48 in favour of an XTR 11-40. For any of the single track around Carntburra I don't need the 48t and the bigger gaps in the smaller cogs was giving me the shits. The XTR 11-40 is like the 10 speed 11-36 but with another gear, so its got really good gaps between the gears for maintaining a consistent cadence and getting the most out of your legs.

I will, however, be chucking a front derailleur on at some stage. For bike packing through the mountains a 22t granny is essential.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love my 11-40 cassette. Perfect gaps for racing. Run the TRS 9-46 on my trail bike though as I'm not usually racing up hills with mates, but definitively notice it's harder to get into a more natural cadence with it