Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

moorey

call me Mia
Perhaps but wouldn't it be easier to say nothing if the product isn't up to scratch? It's not like we know these people personally and we'll find out either way.

When I tow a camper trailer I'll let you know.
Unless I know the person…and sometimes particularly then…I ignore people’s praise on expensive toys or new purchases.
Almost no one drops coin then says bad things. It reflects on them personally making a poor purchase.
I’m not saying your Ute isn’t good, just that people on an FB group who have all bought one, praising it (or anything for that matter) means squat to me.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
5-star crash test ratings are a farce these days anyway (IMO) About 2 stars are the actual body structure/crash deformation performance, and the rest is for how many electronic safety assists it has. Don't get me wrong ABS and ESC are good to have, but losing stars for not having lane keeping? FFS... The most powrful computer safety assist is using the ol' noggin to look through the windscreen and constantly assess the driving conditions! [End old-man rant]
This is I suspect more a reflection of diminishing returns on body design etc on safety. They’re mostly about as good you can get - any crash that collapses a passenger cell is up in the realms of the maximum deceleration a human can survive anyway. So more focus now on avoiding the crash…

The Guilietta got top marks when it came out in 2012 or whatever, only 3 stars now because it lacks lane keeping, blind spot etc etc etc. Cabin holds up just as well though when smacked.

Haakon

I’m currently loving mine more than I have in years…..more so after returning it to full 26 after a mullet experiment.
Im not regretting mine. It’s still (and always will…) has more talent than me.

Haakon

Anyhoo, I don’t think you can rag on Chinese cars much anymore.

My next car (Model 3) will be Made in China, and the Polestar is a good thing by all accounts. As is the Xpeng. Hell, even the cheap and cheerful MGs are meant to be ok.

moorey

call me Mia
Im not regretting mine. It’s still (and always will…) has more talent than me.
If the Transition project doesn’t work out (ie, the new Scout is also mullet), and I’ve already resigned to spending $3500 on my first new frame in 17 years, I’m not discounting the idea of a new orange.

My 2002 Patriot still has more talent than me.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Unless I know the person…and sometimes particularly then…I ignore people’s praise on expensive toys or new purchases.
Almost no one drops coin then says bad things. It reflects on them personally making a poor purchase.
I’m not saying your Ute isn’t good, just that people on an FB group who have all bought one, praising it (or anything for that matter) means squat to me.
Most people say nothing that outright lie, especially on groups their friends aren't likely to be on. I wouldn't waste my time if I thought it was a duffer.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Anyhoo, I don’t think you can rag on Chinese cars much anymore.

My next car (Model 3) will be Made in China, and the Polestar is a good thing by all accounts. As is the Xpeng. Hell, even the cheap and cheerful MGs are meant to be ok.
Minlak's questions were fair though, it wasn't about being Chinese but instead focused on the reliability and strength of the components.

Haakon

Minlak's questions were fair though, it wasn't about being Chinese but instead focused on the reliability and strength of the components.
As you said, mostly mainstream OEM component suppliers. That’s a common feature of Chinese cars.

Last edited:

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Is that how you ended up with 8 oranges and a bunch of cracked tranistions?

Haakon

Yep. Cuss those guys. Patrol is mullet. I ordered, with plans of unmulleting, then canceled order. Waiting to see about Scout shenanigans.
Yeah, looks like they’ve built the geo around it and making un-mulleting not a thing…

Haakon

If the Transition project doesn’t work out (ie, the new Scout is also mullet), and I’ve already resigned to spending $3500 on my first new frame in 17 years, I’m not discounting the idea of a new orange.

My 2002 Patriot still has more talent than me.
Maybe one day a rotorburn meet at Harcourt will be a thing when I’m back home and you can have a go on mine. May not make it easier to resist a new one.