Rock Shox Reba leaking from the gate

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Hi all. I've discovered a problem after my last ride - there's oil coming from the top of the fork, on the right hand side, where the 'gate' adjustment knob is.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The forks are in perfect condition (apart from the leak!), and had only recently had new oil thrown in.

DIRTYharry

Likes Bikes
what year model are they?
the same thing happened with my totems and a certain year model had this problem through-out most of the rockshox forks... you may need new internals bud

frensham

Likes Dirt
Have you stored your bike upside down recently? If you do this you can expect a little oil to leak through the motion control internals - pretty normal. You may also have added too much oil with the service - too much will cause leakage at the top. I have always had a little leakage after leaving the bike upside down overnight.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
as it happens, just had a similar problem and fixed it the other week.

the leak was from where the gate adjuster sits in the lock out mech. i pulled the gate dial off (grub screw) and the lockout switch off (jesus clip) and swapped the original white spacer for an appropriately sized O ring with a bit of grease on it. i've probably only done about 60-70km on the forks since doing this but i havn't seen a drop of oil in that time.

good luck ;)

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Have you stored your bike upside down recently? If you do this you can expect a little oil to leak through the motion control internals - pretty normal. You may also have added too much oil with the service - too much will cause leakage at the top. I have always had a little leakage after leaving the bike upside down overnight.
Haven't left it upside down or anything, and when I removed the spacer to allow the full 115mm travel, I added 110ml of oil, as per the manual...

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt

the leak was from where the gate adjuster sits in the lock out mech. i pulled the gate dial off (grub screw) and the lockout switch off (jesus clip) and swapped the original white spacer for an appropriately sized O ring with a bit of grease on it. i've probably only done about 60-70km on the forks since doing this but i havn't seen a drop of oil in that time.

good luck ;)
Thanks mate, I'll give that a try asap, and let you know!:):):)

burkie

Likes Bikes
Have the same thing on my forks. LBS advised that it's a problem with o-rings in the damper. Said the damper can't be pulled apart to fix so would either need to be replaced (can't remember exact cost but think it was around 100 bucks or more) or I could just wipe the oil off after each ride. Took the second option.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

good luck ;)
w00t! Will try out this fix on a mate's bike.