Rock n roll lube, what's better

safreek

Ok, just recently I have been riding in the wet and have been noticing the chain is getting surface rust on the inside after a day or so.
I am assuming this is not normal as I have not experienced this before.

I use rock and roll extreme lube fairly frequently but it obviously does not stay on the chain very well.

Would the triflow chain lube be better or should I just spring for the real good shit that supposedly stays on for 2 or 300 kms.
Or does it just sound like I have bought a counterfeit chain

Screenshot_2024-02-18-10-21-27-06_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-18-10-18-57-64_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

LPG

likes thicc birds
I think an oil based lubricant is better at protecting from corrosion, the wax based like r&r is better in dry dusty conditions as the dust doesn't stick to the wax like it does oil lubricant.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sometimes it's the quality of the chains but proper wet lube is the best for riding in the rain but all the crap sticks to it. You can squirt a bit of wet lube in the RnR and it will help somewhat.

safreek

I think an oil based lubricant is better at protecting from corrosion, the wax based like r&r is better in dry dusty conditions as the dust doesn't stick to the wax like it does oil lubricant.
Sometimes it's the quality of the chains but proper wet lube is the best for riding in the rain but all the crap sticks to it. You can squirt a bit of wet lube in the RnR and it will help somewhat.
Cheers fellas, wet lube it will be with winter coming up.
Any recommendations.
So much for the bloody drought

LPG

likes thicc birds
Honestly I don't feel there is much difference in oil based chain lube, maybe I just don't think about it enough.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
ProLink is the best of the wet lubes but it doesn't deal with dust well.

The trick to rust is don't leave the chain wet. If you go for a damp ride, wipe the chain down and reapply lube. I do this with RnR Blue and it works well.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

safreek

ProLink is the best of the wet lubes but it doesn't deal with dust well.

The trick to rust is don't leave the chain wet. If you go for a damp ride, wipe the chain down and reapply lube. I do this with RnR Blue and it works well.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I guess you are right with the wipedown, just never struck such quick rusting

Flow-Rider

Burner
I guess you are right with the wipedown, just never struck such quick rusting
The R&R Blue is more oily, that's all I've used lately, and been riding in the wet. Probably when you rode through salty water or the ocean spray the other week from Coffs.

Last edited:

safreek

I always imagined you as a big Aussie muscle head.... Still looking good mate !
Well I've gained 17.kg since the illness so relatively happy. Another 5 or 6 would be good, the onky says no peds so it may be difficult.
Bike shop is getting a few different lubes in this week so shall peruse the selection then

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Well if you're looking at different brands, @DMan put me on to this and I really like it

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
To confuse things even further been using Wolftooth WT-1 lube for the last year. Works great in all conditions. Need to wipe the chain regularly to keep the build up of gunk at bay. Otherwise chain just ticks along and when it gets noisy re-lube.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Does anyone know where I can get Dumonda Tech pro X locally? I bought it from MTB direct once but they no longer seem to stock it (always says out of stock) and I can't find it anywhere except the states of the UK and shipping is a killer.

It was my favourite while I had it.

EDIT - checked the dumonde site for distributors and found Two up bike co is the Australian distributor...