Rim width?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I want to build some slightly stronger rims for my Reign. My plan is to reuse spokes and hubs and just change rims. I'm looking at either the DT Swiss EX471 (25mm) or EX511 (30mm). I won't be running any wider than a 2.5 so which would be better suited? There is a lot of info out there and either would do the job but I'm looking for some first hand experience.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I want to build some slightly stronger rims for my Reign. My plan is to reuse spokes and hubs and just change rims. I'm looking at either the DT Swiss EX471 (25mm) or EX511 (30mm). I won't be running any wider than a 2.5 so which would be better suited? There is a lot of info out there and either would do the job but I'm looking for some first hand experience.
On a 160mm bike I found the EX471s to be made of soft cheese. Why would you not go wider? Or LB carbon rims for around the same price (or slightly more)? As long as the rim profiles are in the ballpark (+/- a mm or two) you can still use the same spokes.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What rims are you currently using? The spokes may not be reusable if the ERD is more than a few mm out.

Go the 30s, I changed from flow ex to mk3 flows, the 2.3 and 2.5 dhr/DHF I'm running work perfectly, the 2.3 DHR is huge on the bigger rim.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.

DMan

On a 160mm bike I found the EX471s to be made of soft cheese. Why would you not go wider? Or LB carbon rims for around the same price (or slightly more)? As long as the rim profiles are in the ballpark (+/- a mm or two) you can still use the same spokes.
Just more what I read about too wide negatively affecting the tyres footprint? I looked at carbon but 2 rims would cost me around $160Eu if I can reuse the spokes and hubs. My plan is to stay with the same ERD so they should all fit. I'll just be careful to keep them in the same arrangement.

DMan

What rims are you currently using? The spokes may not be reusable if the ERD is more than a few mm out.

Go the 30s, I changed from flow ex to mk3 flows, the 2.3 and 2.5 dhr/DHF I'm running work perfectly, the 2.3 DHR is huge on the bigger rim.

*the views expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of a sane well adjusted human.
The reign came with a DT Swiss XM1501 wheelset. 22.5mm. So the spokes and hubs are good. They flex a bit though so I'd like to go something wider and stronger. So maybe the EX511 then.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just more what I read about too wide negatively affecting the tyres footprint? I looked at carbon but 2 rims would cost me around $160Eu if I can reuse the spokes and hubs. My plan is to stay with the same ERD so they should all fit. I'll just be careful to keep them in the same arrangement.
Personally I much prefer the tyre profile with a wider rim, 30s are good, 35s even better. You can also run less pressure as you get less squirm.

There's often deals to be had on carbon rims, I got some on here for next to nothing last year.

Great idea keeping the spokes in the same arrangement, I've done that many times using tape to hold them in place and it makes for a super speedy wheel rebuild.

teK--

Eats Squid
Out of those two, go the 30mm wide if you are running fat tyres.

EX471 are the ones that Aaron Gwynn rode to the bottom with no tyre and they stayed in one piece so I wouldn't say they are soft.

DMan

Personally I much prefer the tyre profile with a wider rim, 30s are good, 35s even better. You can also run less pressure as you get less squirm.

There's often deals to be had on carbon rims, I got some on here for next to nothing last year.

Great idea keeping the spokes in the same arrangement, I've done that many times using tape to hold them in place and it makes for a super speedy wheel rebuild.
I'd love to try carbon but I'm a bit nervous about buying second hand carbon rims.

DMan

Out of those two, go the 30mm wide if you are running fat tyres.

EX471 are the ones that Aaron Gwynn rode to the bottom with no tyre and they stayed in one piece so I wouldn't say they are soft.
No wider than 2.5 but I think 30 is the way to go for a few extra euros

Z

Zaf

I've gotta say my experience with the EX471's has been the exact opposite. Running a handbuilt set on my Stumpy at the moment and they have proven extremely resistant to abuse. I'm not sold on wide rims for the rear either, my LB (internal 31.6mm) slash and pinch out dis-proportionally more than any of my other wheels. Could just be bad luck, but I'd personally be going 471 on the rear and 511 up front as my go to setup.

DMan

I've gotta say my experience with the EX471's has been the exact opposite. Running a handbuilt set on my Stumpy at the moment and they have proven extremely resistant to abuse. I'm not sold on wide rims for the rear either, my LB (internal 31.6mm) slash and pinch out dis-proportionally more than any of my other wheels. Could just be bad luck, but I'd personally be going 471 on the rear and 511 up front as my go to setup.
That's quite an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of going that way.

DMan

Which is important to match by the way if I watch to reuse spokes. The ERD or ETRTO? The reign is 584-22.5

moman

Likes Dirt
I'm also running some EX471s in 29er guise. I'm probably 95kgs and like to smash through s$@t. I've found them solid and far less dent and scratch prone than the Stans Flows I was running previously. They were hand built. I'd only change to get the same thing but wider ;)

teK--

Eats Squid
This is good advice.

I considered this as well previously; Mavic did it with their crossmax enduro wheelset which JC raced with quite successfully.

(Assuming tubeless) you would need to run more air pressure, stiffer tyre, or some type of rim strip (Huck Norris etc) to reach a comparable level of resistance to burping. The last 2 options negate the weight savings of a narrower rim. But at least it reduces the risk of rim damage since it seems it's often the back that cops a lot more rock damage than the front.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ people pay so much more attention to what is happening at the front than the back.

Get the widest strongest rims you can. You don't want to be rebuilding wheels again any time soon. I've had great experiences with DT rims over the years on dh, dj, and freeride style bikes. Get the wider rims, have a big smile, and ride like a boss. You'll not regret it.

As for your "too wide Wi mess with my foot print..." maybe, but fat was the g-o in dh for years and years and years. I'd take that as a good recommendation for wider set ups on grip. The down side is rolling resistance may increase as well.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Go the 30mm internal width. I went from Flow EX to Zelvy 30mm internal. 2.4 HR2 front and 2.4 Ardent rear are nice and big. Running 22 psi front and 24 psi rear with no problem (a couple of psi more on rocky trails for safety).