Riding with mp3player

Mandy

Likes Bikes
Hey,
recently i tried riding with my mp3 player because i get lonely when i ride by myself haha:D And i was jsut wondering if anyone rides with their mp3 player? I had it in a thing around my arm but i found it kept getting in the way??
Anyone have any ideas on how to wear it without it getting in the way and long wires hanging everywhere

|Matt|

Banned
Hey,
recently i tried riding with my mp3 player because i get lonely when i ride by myself haha:D And i was jsut wondering if anyone rides with their mp3 player? I had it in a thing around my arm but i found it kept getting in the way??
Anyone have any ideas on how to wear it without it getting in the way and long wires hanging everywhere
Yeah I ride with my iRiver, its fairly small so it doesn't get in the way. I keep it in my right pocket (easier access, I'm right handed) and i seem to stack on the right most often, but from all the stacks, it hasn't got anything wrong with it. Except, the back cover fell off and when down a drain when I dropped it in a puddle but it still works. Meh.

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
I used to ride with a smaller 256mg mp3 player; stuck the player in my pocket, and then ran the headphone cable up the inside of my shirt. This kept everything out of the way quite nicely.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick the mp3 player in either side pocket, then run the earphone wire upi your back.
This way excess doesn't get caught on your knees or aything, and when the wire extends when you turn your head or something it isn't all in front of your face, it should slide back down your back a bit.

For this though, amke sure you have earphones that fit your ears well, otherwise you could be having them come out all the time.

Also, it's easier to take them out and walk around like this, as the earphones will just drop over both shoulders and no be in the way, and they won't fall as far down as possible like they do when up the front of the shirt.

d3zm0nd

Likes Bikes
mp3

my friend was riding with his video ipod and he ran over a box, jolted and hit his pocket (with the ipod in it) into the handlebars and it broke.
bummer

S.

ex offender
Live2dietrying is on the right track I reckon. MP3 players are best off in a pocket IMO, but it doesn't really matter. You want to route the wires up under your shirt or something (so they don't tangle on stuff), and have them HELD somewhere at neck height so that movement of the wires under your shirt can't pull all the slack out of the wires (otherwise every time you turn your head it pulls the earphones out of your ears, which is a pain in the arse). Try getting a lapel clip thing (like they use for those microphones which clip to your collar) and using that to hold the wires up against the collar of your shirt, or failing that, use a safety pin or something and wrap the wire around it a couple of times so it has enough friction to not go anywhere. As long as you've got enough slack in the wires above your collar, running the wire down under a shirt (or jumper - it actually works best between two layers of clothing IMO cos it doesn't stick to your skin when you get sweaty) and into a normal front pocket in your pants shouldn't give you any dramas. Front pockets also have the advantage of being relatively difficult to land on.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What sort of player do you have?
I use an iPod shuffle and have it in one of these.
It's hard to see in the photo but it comes with a neck strap which can be shortened with one of those sleeping bag toggles.
I run, ride, go to the gym etc etc and it's awesome. For activities like running you have it really short so it doesn't bounce around.
Add to that the player is protected from sweat and rain, it's all good.

There might be a version for whatever your player is.

Last edited:

fattyandthepiemakers

I ride an STP
The only way you can ride legally on the roads is if you use a set of buds with a XC/DJ lid, quite annoying at times. Save up and buy a Mace trigger solo, only other legal way to ride with your music. It comes with a cable (two input plugs) and they plug in to your MP3 player then straight in to the back of your helmet.

Arete

Likes Dirt
wraparound headphones, MP3 plyer jammed in my front, right pocket cause I table to the left and broke one belting it with the bars.

tinto

Likes Dirt
Slightly OT - have you guys seen the new Shuffle?
Integrated clip, Height: 2.73 cm (1.07 inches),Width: 4.12 cm (1.62 inches)
http://www.apple.com/au/ipodshuffle/

I commute with a standard shuffle - all wires (and player) tucked under my shirt (using the neck string). Works fine for that sort of riding. I don't listen to music off-road - I like the sound of popping gravel/rocks too much :)

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That new shuffle looks stupid. It almost looks like an accessory for the Ipod mini.
But It having a clip is a good idea.

Edit:
Just loking at the Apple site, they've re-done the nano, now it looks just like a small/slim Ipod mini, which IMO looks terrible. The mini's never looked good, so they decided to change a relatively good looking thing into a bad looking work of crap.
The mini is also gone from thier lineup, I guess it was replaced be the Nano...

Again:
Has the Video model always had an 80gb model, or is this another new thing? The pictures also show a tetris game. Now that will be a great feature to have in your Ipod. Maybe the first good thing?

Last edited:

cellardoor

Likes Dirt
Just get a rack on the back of your bike and ockie strap an 80's style boombox to it. No cords to get tangled up in. Has the added bonus of knowing you are taking music back to streets. Everyone you pass will say "there goes a man who knows how to keep it REAL" You'll spend alot on D-cell batterys but its worth it IMO

If you insist on using a DAP then the bit with sound coming out of it goes in your ears. The other bigger bit goes in your pocket. I got it wrong the first couple of times But I got there in the end.

Mandy

Likes Bikes
I have a mrobe, which i only bought because i know someone who works at dick smith and he said people were constantly bring all versions of the apple ones back. Wish i hadnt as you cant buy accessories for it :( I will try the pocket thing thanks guys :)

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its all good until you crash and brake it or it falls out of your pocket..
I also dont like not being able to hear what is happening around me. I like to listen to my bike and listen to what it tells me and also to my souroundings...You wont hear a car honking at you as your veer onto the highway

|Matt|

Banned
Its all good until you crash and brake it or it falls out of your pocket..
I also dont like not being able to hear what is happening around me. I like to listen to my bike and listen to what it tells me and also to my souroundings...You wont hear a car honking at you as your veer onto the highway
Then don't veer on to the highway...

Your music isn't that loud (if you have one earphone in) that you can't hear your surroundings.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(if you have one earphone in)
I HATE it how people do this, and in some cases, expect me to do the same!
Isn't the point of having a STEREO signal to hear the difference between the 2 channels?
At school people do it all the time. They'll have the one earphone in, and say 'listen to this' and I'll have to do the "what's going on in the other channel? I can't even listen to it properly like this."

I prefer to have both earphones in, and have the music a bit quieter. This way I'm still hearing the whole thing, and I can listen and talk to others.

What's more disrepectful - One earphone in and it being loud so you can hear thier music, or having both in and having the volume down?
I prefer to talk to people with both in aswell, because I know they'll either take them both out, or turn it down to a better level.

My friend told me he rides home with 1 earphone in. To this I laughed.
There's already enough disruption to the music by the air rushing past, let alone having 1 in, where the music isn't even worth listening to.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Just be careful if you're riding trails. Lots of people riding solo with Ipods etc. are prone to being totalled if they're bringing their bikes up trails/down trails if they can't hear anything.

|Matt|

Banned
I HATE it how people do this, and in some cases, expect me to do the same!
Isn't the point of having a STEREO signal to hear the difference between the 2 channels?
At school people do it all the time. They'll have the one earphone in, and say 'listen to this' and I'll have to do the "what's going on in the other channel? I can't even listen to it properly like this."

I prefer to have both earphones in, and have the music a bit quieter. This way I'm still hearing the whole thing, and I can listen and talk to others.

What's more disrepectful - One earphone in and it being loud so you can hear thier music, or having both in and having the volume down?
I prefer to talk to people with both in aswell, because I know they'll either take them both out, or turn it down to a better level.

My friend told me he rides home with 1 earphone in. To this I laughed.
There's already enough disruption to the music by the air rushing past, let alone having 1 in, where the music isn't even worth listening to.
Yeah, but I have my mp3 player set to play only through one. This is because my earphones were designed by a fucking retard and the left ear one is about 5cms long.

So I have set it so no sound comes out of it. I may as well cut it off.

danv

Likes Dirt
What always works well for me is having it around my neck, on a strap. Like a necklace. The same as you see alot of key rings or usb flash memory sticks. I tuck the excess headphone cord under my shirt. Highly recommend neck straps for using an mp3 player anywhere, not just riding.

extreme_ride

Likes Bikes
just plug it in your ears and put it through your shirt and then clip it on your pants or in your pocket. just dont ride in the middle of the rode with it to loud so you can't hear cars etc because it gives you a fright :eek: