Resume writing services - Melbourne

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hi All,

Looking to find out information on good to great resume writing services here in Melbourne. Someone that can take my resume to the next level.
Does anyone have any experience using this type of service, good/bad etc.
Any info would be great.

Cheers

Hux

moorey

call me Mia
I do resumes as part of my work with job seekers (both numpties and professionals). Happy to cast an eye over it and make suggestions for you to take or leave.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You shouldn't have to limit it to just Melb's now they have email on the internet's.
Hmmm, that's what those little things are that that pop up on my screen, and all this time I've been running to the letter box when it says..."You've got mail".:frusty:

While I know this and appreciate your reply, I'd like to keep it local incase I need to meet the person to provide more details, discuss my work history.
I do resumes as part of my work with job seekers (both numpties and professionals). Happy to cast an eye over it and make suggestions for you to take or leave.
Thanks Moorey, I'll PM you.

scblack

Leucocholic
OK, I've been through the job search process twice the last 12months, and also employing staff a couple of times (I am a CPA and employing clerical staff). So I have a fair idea of what works from both employer and employee viewpoint.

Here's a few quick tips:
FIRST PAGE

• Leave the page plain. I have seen photos, boxed sections, weird flowery fonts, text drifting across the page on a slant, changes in text size, powerpoint style accents. It just makes your eye work too hard and if I have to work hard to read it, I may lose interest. Leave it easily readable.
  • At THE FRONT - put your name, at least suburb where you live, age, do you have transport? When are you available? Put the basic questions up front. These are the basic things about you and if I don't get these facts, I'll ignore the resume.
  • List educational achievements, with the most recent FIRST. I do not want to read about your year 8 reading certificate first, if you just completed a Certificate IV Business Admin course at Tafe last year. And/OR most relevant first, if you have a business degree, list that before a first aid course you just did.
  • Some people put an Objective paragraph for themself- this can be good to explain what the person is hoping to achieve.
  • A few lines to list your work history. List the Employer, Dates employed, Role held. Just a line or two each role, to have a quick summary at the start.
  • Interests, eg reading, keeping fit. Not compulsory, but I like to add this. I like to receive it too. Tells me a bit about the person and whether it is someone I could feel comfortable working with.

SECOND PAGE

• Now start going into detail listing the tasks you manage in each role. List the most important or relevant items first. Maybe have two or three versions, so you can tailor the tasks relevant to the role you are applying for. Do NOT waffle or embellish too much, list the tasks not how it is done.
  • Add a line telling WHY you left each role so we know why you moved on each time. And do not make it "More Money" even if its true. Explain to me why you made the change, justify it somehow.
  • Dont make a resume longer than three pages - four at the limit.

Basically overall:
  • First page, list your facts so I can summarise your suitability quickly.
  • Then second page on, add the details of what you did, and achieved.

moorey

call me Mia
I disagree with quite a bit of what you say there SC, but its purely personal.
I agree with simplicity and ease of reading. Less is usually more if gone right. Obviously, depending on the position and vocation, most employers I speak to have 30 seconds max to scan a resume. If they can't find info quickly and clearly, you've lost them.
Make resume specific to the position/industry. Keep it relevant.
2 pages ideal. 3 pages absolute max in my opinion.
Its gotta look schmick. Bullets, headings, general formatting, all need to be spot on, small visual inconsistencies can put someone off immediately.

OP, I have no idea yet of your age/exp/background, but as per my pm, send me what you have and I'm happy to have a play.

moorey

call me Mia
Oh, and don't put DH, motocross and MMA on your 'interests'. Employers don't want injured and battered workers.

scblack

Leucocholic
Oh, and don't put DH, motocross and MMA on your 'interests'. Employers don't want injured and battered workers.
Do what I do and call it "Cycling", as I DH pretty hard, as well as the roadie.

Its been a good positive for me, cycling is replacing golf in a lot of business circles. A LOT of executives and senior people cycle, or see it in a positive light. Depends on what level/role you are after but for me its been a definite positive.

moorey

call me Mia
Do what I do and call it "Cycling", as I DH pretty hard, as well as the roadie.

Its been a good positive for me, cycling is replacing golf in a lot of business circles. A LOT of executives and senior people cycle, or see it in a positive light. Depends on what level/role you are after but for me its been a definite positive.
'Cycling', definitely. Its definitely the new 'Golf' for very important suit wearing glamour guy business men.....:pound:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I disagree with quite a bit of what you say there SC, but its purely personal.
I agree with simplicity and ease of reading. Less is usually more if gone right. Obviously, depending on the position and vocation, most employers I speak to have 30 seconds max to scan a resume. If they can't find info quickly and clearly, you've lost them.
Make resume specific to the position/industry. Keep it relevant.
2 pages ideal. 3 pages absolute max in my opinion.
Its gotta look schmick. Bullets, headings, general formatting, all need to be spot on, small visual inconsistencies can put someone off immediately.

OP, I have no idea yet of your age/exp/background, but as per my pm, send me what you have and I'm happy to have a play.
would have to agree with moorey

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
My wife is very good at this stuff. Every single person she has help has got an interview. Some blew it from there though.
She is really good with helping people apply for government jobs with all that criteria crap.
We are in Melbournes northern suburbs.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, if they are seeking 'selection criteria' thats a whole other matter. Rule of thumb, if they ask for it, and you don't submit it, you won't even be considered. Answer criteria fully and in detail, in a separate document.
I was on many selection panels working at the Uni in a previous role. Equity policy dictated that no matter how good a candidate looked/sounded, if they didn't tick EVERY box, they COULDN'T be even considered:
-Resume (including referees if requested)
-Cover letter
-Selection Criteria separately addressed
-Application sent to right person, on time
-Ring/email beforehand for PD

Miss any one of those, and your application went in the 'not so much' pile....even if you were well known to the panel, experienced/curruntly in that role etc.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
From personal experience all I can suggest is that if you are going to insist on writing it in a mixture of blood and human faeces, for gods sake DON'T use comic sans font!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
One thing I always do when applying for a job is specifically target that employer with a resume customized for the position.
If I am going for a Gov desk job I am not going to talk about my history on construction sites and vice verca.

Also check out the website for the company and get familiar with their mission statement or company goals and try to reflect this tone in your application, without sounding like a suckass though.
I have also been known to contact HR before doing a job app and asking them if they have a preffered format or style and was given quite clear intructions to keep it as simple as possible, and don't elaborate on anything that they have not asked to be addressed in the selection criteria.

There is nothing worse than being bombarded with masses of irrelevent information and having to sift through it to find what you asked for.
Be anal. I remember once applying for a job and it specifically stated 'Please attach your resume to the front of the application with a paperclip on the top left hand side'. I stapled it, Didn't get the job.

Use a nice font. Calibri is a great one for resumes. Jokerman, comic sans, chiller... Your'e fired.
Clip art... You're fired.
Family members as referees... Your'e fired.
Keystroke errors... Your'e fired.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Thank you every one for your feedback. I'm finding it very useful.
While I do have different resumes for thetype of work I am applying for, it just time for a refresh. I want to make sure I am keeping up with current standards and making sure I am putting the right stuff in.

Cheers again.

Hux

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The promise of a nice case of booze or tickets to a show works wonders.....they are all basically driven by money. One of my trainees recently landed a 260k p.a. role buy buying the recruiter a 3.5k watch in order to keep his name at the top of the list until a job became available. Staple a fifty to the resume and your in.

Naseem

Cannon Fodder
personal statement

[Hi
Could you please help me preparing the personal statement for my undergraduate studies. I made a statement but Iwant some more professional editiing and word fixing ets if reqiured. If you say yes, I will post my drafting to you.
I would appreciate and gratefull for this extended help so.
Thanks.
Naseem