Registering an MX bike

WiLD

Squid
hey guys,
not sure if this has been started yet, but just wondering if anyone has any idea on the rules for registering motorbikes in NSW, in the near future i will be getting an MX bike (250cc)... but im not sure if its possible to register a bike without headlights etc?
i only want the license to get to tracks and will not be driving in the dark, is this possible?

all input will be much apprieciated
cheers WiLD

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Short anwser, nope. Doesnt have any of the required ADR gear. Maybe think about gettin an enduro (250 should be fine?) instead if your gonna do some riding on the road. You get the best of both worlds really ;)

*edit* if you want a two smoke, look around for the wr250yz i think its called, basically a (turned down) YZ engine in a chassis with ADR gear.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
No.

Even with the new rec rego, you'll need a headlight and still won't be able to ride on the road.

floody

Wheel size expert
No.

No compliance plate, no road rego, end of story*. Even rec rego normally requires you to at least trailer to the bush.

Get a cheap ute/van/trailer.

*Well once upon a time, in Victoria, you could transfer from primary producer (aka farm use) rego to road rego at time of sale but they put an end to that a decade ago or more.

Last edited:

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Were you planning on racing, or just hitting the tracks in the bush? If youre not gonna do some MX, and enduro will be perfect, as i said before! :D

IronPony

Likes Bikes
NO! really really no, those things aren't dirt bikes by any stretch of the imagination, I wouldn't ride one to the letter box let alone off road.
For 2k you can't go wrong. A mate has done 30,000 kms on his and its still going strong

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you aren't doing mx you are better off with an enduro bike. A mx bike, especially something like a YZ450 or 250 is far more hardcore than the WR series. The WR are much nicer to ride and less harsh. One fewer gear but better engine tune. Go the WR450F if you can. Great bike.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
HELL YEAH! YAMAHA FTW! ;)

As said, the WR is an awesome bike, so reliable. My dad has the 450, had a few little goes on it, it ummm.. shreds my ttr230 to pieces! Sellin the ttr, for a 2002ish WR 250f --- cant wait!!! :D

aidan84

Squid
A yamaha WR250f is an excellent bike, great for a beginner, but will not limit your riding as you get quicker. Actually one of the fastest blokes I've ever ridden with was on a WR250f, they are such a forgiving bike and the engines are extremely reliable.

Plus if you want to hit the motocross track they'll take anything you can throw at them.

Most of the enduro models are derived from motocross bikes, just with wider gear ratios and the bits to make them road legal.

Bermshot

Banned
A yamaha WR250f is an excellent bike, great for a beginner, but will not limit your riding as you get quicker. Actually one of the fastest blokes I've ever ridden with was on a WR250f, they are such a forgiving bike and the engines are extremely reliable.

Plus if you want to hit the motocross track they'll take anything you can throw at them.

Most of the enduro models are derived from motocross bikes, just with wider gear ratios and the bits to make them road legal.
Moments, this fella is correct. There are a 'few' people that can serve Supercross too Motocrossers on an Enduro machine.

Same as MTB, it's how you set your bike.

brettjon

Likes Bikes
Moto vs. enduro are worlds apart.

I race supercross and can tell you now that the frame geometry, suspension characteristics, power delivery and rider stance are completely different. if you're on a moto track you will destroy an enduro bike in 25 laps.

If you're racing moto's or supercross tracks get the right bike and the right way to transport it.

If you're trail riding get a trail bike and a ute/van/trailer.

I'd hate to see you buy a bike and not get the most out of it. I've ridden/broken enough enduro nbikes to be able to tell you they're rubbish on the track.

Any other questions hit me up in PM and I'm more than happy to discuss!!

BW