pumpkins and QOTSA

Bakes

Squid
Smashing pumpkins touring with Queens of the Stone age for a hundred buks! bloody bargain... anyone going to the adelaide gig? should be huge!

rhyno

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna see them at the Melbourne V Fest. Along with Modest Mouse and Hot Hot Heat and CSS! WOOO!

Rik

logged out
They're both about 10 years too old. QOTSA were ok with Nick, but now it's just tripe. They've even reworked the old songs to make them fall in line with the shitness of later albums.

V fest is funny- watching a bunch of 30-something professionals get moist over bands they grew up with and throwing dumb amounts of money at a half arsed festival to live experiences they missed out on the first time around :p

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix
They're both about 10 years too old. QOTSA were ok with Nick, but now it's just tripe. They've even reworked the old songs to make them fall in line with the shitness of later albums.

V fest is funny- watching a bunch of 30-something professionals get moist over bands they grew up with and throwing dumb amounts of money at a half arsed festival to live experiences they missed out on the first time around :p
shit, that's a bit rich Rik...

I better make sure I sell my tickets to Phantom of the Opera, and throw out those KISS tickets I have for the GP, not to forget trying to get a refund to The Police gig I saw the other week??? Know when the Rocky Horror Show comes back to Aus, I'd better make sure I'm not wasting my time by getting tickets to that :rolleyes::eek:

History is just that, not something to even give "two-hoots-of-a-shit" about :rolleyes:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Would love to see QOTSA, but not in a half arsed festival atmosphere. Dammit.

Oh well, Pennywise, Blowling for Soup and The Vandals will have to do (April, yay!)

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)

I'm still six years off being 30, but you have summed up the reason for me having a ticket in posession very nicely thank you very much.

I was 14 when the pumpkins toured last. Even if they suck this time round (which I suspect they will - Billy and Jimmy can't hold it up alone) I can still say I've seen them.

QOTSA in it's current guise should be a good filler while waiting....

Mind you, Air will be there, first Aus tour, and I am tragically looking forward to that....

Bakes

Squid
And to think Josh Homme was in Kyuss.

I wouldn't go if they paid me one hundered buks.

kyuss was one of the best bands in the world at that time... josh homme has moved on and is still writing better riffs than any touring guitarist in todays shit pop, commercial world!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
kyuss was one of the best bands in the world at that time... josh homme has moved on and is still writing better riffs than any touring guitarist in todays shit pop, commercial world!

Josh Homme certainly has moved on. Right smack into todays shitpop commercial world. I can't even believe it's the same guy. Just another radio friendly pop rock act.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a Nickelback tour next.

Bakes

Squid
Josh Homme certainly has moved on. Right smack into todays shitpop commercial world. I can't even believe it's the same guy. Just another radio friendly pop rock act.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a Nickelback tour next.
when he is supporting great alternate musicians like UNKLE, he is far from sold out...when he is playing with people like Joey Castillo, Trent Reznor and other heros, he is far from sold out... josh home is still recognised as a musical genuis in the 'real' music industry.

Remember...this man you call a radio friendly pop rock act, still rubbs shoulders and gets ideas from legands like, brant bjork, john garcia, Mark Lanegan ect ect ect ect

Last edited:

Bakes

Squid
ahahahaha true true,

didnt mean to put that name there, it will be deleted,

Obviously they dnt get along anymore.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

The dude has managed to alienate just about everyone who helped him to get where he is today.
Yeah, I won't speak to him anymore since he didn't return the inner tube I leant him.

Happy happy happy post, la la la :):):)

Bakes

Squid
i have explained nick olivari, i understand they dnt get along, im not sure about brant bjork tho?? i wouldnt mind reading something about that if you find anything, i just think josh homme isnt worth bagging out, he can write great riffs and id much rather listen to QOTSA than simple plan or any other shitty "rock" band these days.

the most suprising outcome of this is i have finally met a kyuss fan! they were a big band but most people dont no who they are...

my dream come true a few years ago when i was lucky enuf to see brant bjork in adelaide, it was amazing!
sad thing is there were only about 50 people there and he has never come to SA again... dont blame him!!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
i have explained nick olivari, i understand they dnt get along, im not sure about brant bjork tho?? i wouldnt mind reading something about that if you find anything, i just think josh homme isnt worth bagging out, he can write great riffs and id much rather listen to QOTSA than simple plan or any other shitty "rock" band these days.

the most suprising outcome of this is i have finally met a kyuss fan! they were a big band but most people dont no who they are...

my dream come true a few years ago when i was lucky enuf to see brant bjork in adelaide, it was amazing!
sad thing is there were only about 50 people there and he has never come to SA again... dont blame him!!
You're in for a treat here then because there's at least half a dozen regular posters who are Kyuss fans. One (danv I think) has the cover of 'Blues for the Red Sun' as his avatar!

Brant is simply an amazing musician. I saw him and his band (with Alfredo Hernandez on drums) at the end of 2006. One of the most laid back, grooviest shows I've ever been to.

The problem I have with Josh Homme is that he really seems to be sucking the corporate cock hard. The first couple of QOTSA releases were ok, but they seem to have been on a downward spiral ever since. It's quite easy to draw a parallel between Josh's and Brant's solo careers. Most of Brant Bjork's stuff is laid back, groovy and mellow, and I'd consider it to be radio friendly, except that it never gets played on the radio! It's also exactly the music that Brant wants to play. I get the feeling that Josh is trying way too hard. The man has an undeniable talent, but IMO he's just wasting it, and he seems to be a bit of an arsehole. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he gets out of his contract with Interscope.

Here's some reading material for ya.

http://www.exclaim.ca/musicreviews/generalreview.aspx?csid2=850&fid1=26355&csid1=112

I think Brant's being quite diplomatic here!

Some more threads about music from this here site:

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=90337

Please contribute to this one. I started it as a way to make amends for my criticism of everyone elses taste, but no one seems to have taken me to task yet! It gets better in the latest pages after embedded videos were allowed.

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=112572

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=112173
Documentary you might be interested in. Just got released in America. Can't wait to get my copy!

And yeah, it it came to a choice between Simple Plan or QOTSA, I'd take QOTSA. But I'd take any of the other Kyuss members bands before QOTSA (Check out Scott Reeder's solo stuff if you haven't already heard it. Almost Pink Floyd ish)

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Hmm, if I have a burning need to hear Billy Corgan off his face on drugs and whingeing though his nose I guess I'll contemplate going.

Oh, hang on, no, even something good by QOTSA wouldn't be enough to distract me from wanting to ram my head though a brick wall from listening to Corgan.

The last listenable, non self-obsessed album the pumpkins made was Gish. I'm over it.

Yes, they milked the gen x slacker gloom thing very nicely but lots of people can play jangly guitars and sing through their noses.

Move on, nothing new to see/hear here.