publishing a book

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently went on a trip overseas, that turned out to be a complete disaster and wrote my account of what happened, it turned out to be about 30000 words. I would love to read it in future and remember the trip but I really do not like reading on electronic mediums, I am looking to put it in print. Does any of my fellow farkiners / rotorburners know of companies that will print a single book for a reasonable price?

hayd

Likes Dirt
Have a look at the companies that do thesis binding. There are heaps of them around, so I'm sure that you would be able to find someone that fits the price and quality you're looking for.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
Even places like Officeworks do binding. If you have it in an electronic format, MS Word, etc. they can print and bind it for you. I'm not sure exactly what styles of binding they have available but it could be worth looking into. Probably a cheaper option as well.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Officeworks + thesis binding place.

When I finished my post grad thesis (300+ pages), Officeworks turned out to be the cheapest to print on 80 gsm paper for both back & white and colour. I had a fair few colour pages too.

For that behemoth I paid around $200 each, printed and bound.

Officeworks printed off 5 copies and I got the call to collect only a few hours after I dropped off the CD.

wombat

Lives in a hole
From memory I think I ended up printing my thesis at home and then having it bound by All State in Marrickville. Mine wasn't a terribly normal layout though, it was all landscape, double page spread with a pretty tight crop. Completely outside the uni's specs, but my supervisor said "you're meant to be studying design, so design."

I took that as an invitation to have it bound it bright-orange, crocodile-skin vinyl.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah give us a 5 dot point highlight reel.

i live by "bad decisions make good stories"

mitchy_

Llama calmer
woah! the last bad experience i had may have had 30,000 expletives.. but certainly not that many words in an comprehensible story! 300 at best.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

The book is basically a light hearted way of recounting my Mongol rally as well as ticking the box to have a published book.

Such Highlights include as the mother of cluster fucks, Having all my possessions stolen, my passport, clothing, duffel bag everything while in the Czech Republic at an official rally event. All I had was a jumpsuit that the only should of been burnt after that party. Dealing with a Czech police officer who spoke no English but 6 other languages and trying to get an emergency passport.

Buying a automobile in the UK sight unseen and it turning out to be a woeful excuse for a lawnmower, I can't even bring myself to call it van. If you think I am kidding google Fiat Doblo, 1.2L diesel. It held oil like a sieve. Other fine features as a rear door that lock was broken and had to manually reach in and slide the latch to lock it and the rear drive seal split on our way to Berlin along with sump . It had locknuts but no key. I could go on for days on just how awful this car was, but I won't here is a picture of it as it was abandoned between Russian and Ukrainian border

Loosing my emergency passport 2 days before I flew back to Australia

Being the reason we missed the last bus up to Eagles Nest and having to walk 3 hours gruelling hung over hours to get up there.

And a whole bunch of other problems caused by dumb decisions, drink, drugs and well being me.

abandoning the Doblo.jpg

Hew

Likes Dirt
I'm with the others, that sounds fantastic. Would love to have a read if you ever decide to publish it.