Pub Trivia - AKA things that may be beyond the scope of Moorey’s knowledge

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Great question. Anti backwards device so all those viable options! Some sort of winch thingy so if these guys are wrong I will say boat winch. When? Egyptians used winches on their lags so maybe 3C?
A boat winch or capstan was where I was going, and the century was 1600s from where I was googling.

However @cokeonspecialtwodollars @Haakon @moorey made me realise I'm in over my head on my history and did some digging.

It is noteworthy that medieval cranes rarely featured ratchets or brakes to forestall the load from running backward.[19] This curious absence is explained by the high friction force exercised by medieval treadwheels which normally prevented the wheel from accelerating beyond control.[16]

I'm thinking that a pawl is slightly too sophisticated to be on a torture rack, but I can see the drawbridge angle.

So I'm going to say that @Dales Cannon got the answer I was looking for, but that @cokeonspecialtwodollars or @Haakon or @moorey could well have it also!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A boat winch or capstan was where I was going, and the century was 1600s from where I was googling.

However @cokeonspecialtwodollars @Haakon @moorey made me realise I'm in over my head on my history and did some digging.

It is noteworthy that medieval cranes rarely featured ratchets or brakes to forestall the load from running backward.[19] This curious absence is explained by the high friction force exercised by medieval treadwheels which normally prevented the wheel from accelerating beyond control.[16]

I'm thinking that a pawl is slightly too sophisticated to be on a torture rack, but I can see the drawbridge angle.

So I'm going to say that @Dales Cannon got the answer I was looking for, but that @cokeonspecialtwodollars or @Haakon or @moorey could well have it also!
Everyones a winner! Participation awards all round :)