Prison Movies

bodgie

Likes Dirt
I dont really think any prison movie ive seen comes close to the Shawshank Redemption its my favourite movie of all time although "The Rock" was pretty good also. Other ones i can think of right now would be "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood, name pretty much sums up the movie and another I'd reccomend would be "Victory" although its not exactly a prison movie its a P.O.W. camp. Its got Michael Cain and Sylvester Stallone and basically the P.O.W's make a team and play against the German team with the idea of it being a spectacle for the Germans but a cover for an escape attempt for the P.O.W's

|Matt|

Banned
Chopper is a good one.

I visited a prison last year and spoke to some of the inmates. One was in for murder, one was for some sort of assault and one was in for something involving theft by deception or something like that...and they all said Chopper was the most realistic movie about prison.

Its a sweet movie too...

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Wedlock?
(sorry, taking the piss...) Yes, it's a prison flick but it certainly aint raising the bar for high culture. Interesting concept though. Try to escape and you'll die, so don't try...

My vote is for Shawshank. Enjoyed the Green Mile but Shawshank is great.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Mean Machine :p
following on from the Mean Machine posts ... Is this the original "Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds ?? ie, where he is the Quarterback ... or was that a remake as well?

Anyway, if I'm on the right track ... then agree ... Adam Sandler as a Jock just don't it and I like the vast majority of his flicks.

Animal Factory ... is that the one with the kid from terminator 2 ?

Agree with Wedlock ... have been refering to the Missus as the Warden for a couple days now without getting some smack down thrown out me :p

Yeah I enjoyed Chopper. ... |Matt| is there more to that story of yours ?

The Rock is that with Nicholas Cage ... ie the Chemical warfare one ? uhmmmmm thats stretching ... but it does have a prison in it ... so OK:rolleyes:.

Papillion is a classic (both book and flick) and it has Steve McQueen (Mr Bullit himself) ...

Haven't seen or heard of OZ so I'll have a look for it.

Stir Crazy one of the best Gene Wilder(sp) and Richard Prior(??) movies
Showing my age, that was one of the first movies I saw without adult supervison.

I've seen about 3 Escape from Alcatraz movies ... and I like the Clint one the best even though its the furtherest from the truth.

I'll chuck in Escape from New York with Kurt Russel, but axe Escape from LA ... that was just lame.

I didn't like the Green Mile first time I watched it ... but I'll give it a revisit.

Midnight Express is just scary.

The couple of WW2 prisoner ones mentioned I've seen and enjoyed ... but I think I'll park them for when the WWII bug hits me.

Thanks for the others as well ... I'll search for the one from the Country we can not mention.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
following on from the Mean Machine posts ... Is this the original "Longest Yard" with Burt Reynolds ?? ie, where he is the Quarterback ... or was that a remake as well?

Anyway, if I'm on the right track ... then agree ... Adam Sandler as a Jock just don't it and I like the vast majority of his flicks.
I think the original "Longest Yard" you're referring to is in fact the original. The "Mean Machine" I was referring to is a remake from 2001 centred around soccer instead of NFL, lead by Vinnie Jones who is one funny hard-ass (useless fact: apparently Vinnie Jones used to play in the English Premier League and holds the record for being red carded the fastest in a Premier League game. Not sure how true that is, but it'd be pretty sweet if it is in deed the case). The Vinnie Jones one is a good remake, the Sandler one makes me want to gouge my eyes out with forks.

|Matt|

Banned
What did you wanna know, Nerf? Why I was in a high security prison? It was for a legal studies excursion.

LIAM?!

Banned
What did you wanna know, Nerf? Why I was in a high security prison? It was for a legal studies excursion.
I want to know when you where in this 'high security prison', you asked the inmates what there favorite prison movie was...? silly if you ask me.

|Matt|

Banned
I want to know when you where in this 'high security prison', you asked the inmates what there favorite prison movie was...? silly if you ask me.
There was this program, I dunno what its called, but instead of the inmates doing shitty jobs like being a dish pig or whatever, while supervised, they can speak to groups about their experiences in prison. I did it at Barwon down in Geelong.

The reason I asked about Chopper was because I wanted to know whether movies were an accurate representation of what prison was actually like.

It was pretty awesome. The guys had to have a clean record (in prison) for an entire year. No fights, no nothing. I didn't feel unsafe with them, they seemed just like you or me.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
(useless fact: apparently Vinnie Jones used to play in the English Premier League and holds the record for being red carded the fastest in a Premier League game. Not sure how true that is, but it'd be pretty sweet if it is in deed the case).
Yeah your right there. Saw some show or internet site with an interview with him talking about it. I cant remember why he was pissed off but basically he timed his run up and took off straight after the whistle to start the game and ran over and decked someone within only a few seconds.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shawshank and the Green mile are my favourite two of the ones listed here. I saw Animal factory and apart from seeing Mickey Rourke in that interesting role I thought it was pretty rubbish.
Ghosts of the civil dead was just a head f#$k, I saw it when I was 13 and haven't sought it out again, for obvious reasons. Dead man walking was alright.

O brother where art thou, it's a stretch as they are out of prison the whole time but I really liked this one. Stalag 17, Hart's War, Great Escape for when that WW2 bug does get you again Al.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
There was this program, I dunno what its called, but instead of the inmates doing shitty jobs like being a dish pig or whatever, while supervised, they can speak to groups about their experiences in prison. I did it at Barwon down in Geelong.

The reason I asked about Chopper was because I wanted to know whether movies were an accurate representation of what prison was actually like.

It was pretty awesome. The guys had to have a clean record (in prison) for an entire year. No fights, no nothing. I didn't feel unsafe with them, they seemed just like you or me.
Sounds interesting ... was this a Uni thing ?? psychology or similar ?? Did you feel intimidated being in the prison at all.

I reckon your question re realistic prison flicks was a logical one ... I would have asked the same ... it gets you on to a similar level of understanding and gets you something in common to discuss.

I think the original "Longest Yard" you're referring to is in fact the original. The "Mean Machine" I was referring to is a remake from 2001 centred around soccer instead of NFL, lead by Vinnie Jones ...
Ahhhh ... thanks ... I'll have a look for it.

Shawshank and the Green mile are my favourite two of the ones listed here ...
Shawshank is just an uplifting film ... a well crafted and fantastic story ... Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were just right for the roles.