Post your Roadie

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My latest project, A Repco Superlite that was given to me by my Brother & Sis In Law on Sunday. I don't think it will take much to get it going, just give it a clean and once over and a seat.

At the moment I seem to be into the vintage road bikes....getting old!

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sumgy's bike is awesome, but those pink levers do put me off a bit - just doesn't go with the rest of the bike.
Yep, you are right.
They dont match the pink Chris King headset, pink barrel adjusters or the pink chainring bolts.

:fat:

Last edited:

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
2004 ocr3 giant

My roadie - 2004 GIANT OCR3.

She doesnt get much love to be honest, but i decided to give her a face lift the other day. New SOUL S3.0SL wheelset and new Fizik saddle went on. I've also got a carbon bar and stem to go on which may give a little bit of relief from the full alloy (including forks) construction on some of the rougher road rides. Plus 8 years of putting up with that horrendous shaped bar is enough. She has seen so little love over the last 8 years that she still runs the original 8 speed Sora setup. When i have to buy a new cassette or chain these days, my line at the bike shop starts with 'back in the olden days, we use to ride these 8 speed setups' :)

Still not bad looking for a simple base level 8 year old roadie - she falls into that no mans land at the moment, certainly not modern nor a classic.

2004 OCR3.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
Mtb1speed, can you let me know how the Soul wheelset goes, when I built my roadie up last year, I looked long and hard at them. Sound good and other reviews are fine. Let us know how they go.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
Mtb1speed, can you let me know how the Soul wheelset goes, when I built my roadie up last year, I looked long and hard at them. Sound good and other reviews are fine. Let us know how they go.
Hey scblack - will do. Out of the box they seem to be good quality, nicer looking than I was expecting and the S3.0SL was only 6grams over the claimed weight - no complaints with that. On the bike they spin for a long long time when you roll then over with the hand. Will be doing a training ride on weekend so will give you some feedback at that point. Awesome service from SOUL as well. I had the wheelset at my door within five days of pressing the go button.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As long as you don't turn that repco into a fixie I'm happy :very_drunk:
Well this would be my first step from mtb to road, which is another learning curve (now that I even know all about bmx) The fixie thing is still strange to me though, but then again new things can be scary until they become familiar!

The Repco will definitely stay geared, it has 700c wheels already and gears seem to work (need a bit of adjustment). Mainly because I think it can be Hubby's ride if he ever becomes so inclined (or I convince him). He doesn't like having to put too much effort into riding if he ever does so he will need gears:fat: And probalby good to have a geared option as an option.

This one here definitely going SS (dropouts are much more suitable than Repco) and it's in worse condition so for some reason I think I like it more even though it's a heavier bike from what I can tell. The front spokes are totally buggered so I might even attempt a wheel rebuild myself (the hubs seem good still and dropout spacing is narrower to new ones). Really looking forward to cleaning this one up (already started), there is just something special about vintage road bikes!
Gordonson Spartan
photobucket-5719-1336284389343.jpg

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I really don't get the obsession with old steel roadies. I had a beautiful Reynolds 531 that fitted perfectly and rode for years but getting on a modern carbon/alu frame with 10sp was like seeing for the first time.

Does anyone ride something 'nostalgic' out of preference to a newer bike in their garage?

scblack

Leucocholic
I really don't get the obsession with old steel roadies. I had a beautiful Reynolds 531 that fitted perfectly and rode for years but getting on a modern carbon/alu frame with 10sp was like seeing for the first time.

Does anyone ride something 'nostalgic' out of preference to a newer bike in their garage?
Compared to cars, must be like driving an old MG roadster in preference to a new Porsche Boxster. I agree with you, I do not see the attraction.

On a slight tangent, I do not like the look of new titanium roadies either. The skinny tubing looks like an old school steel roadie. Will ride very well I know, but LOOKS old school.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I get it more than I get the guys with an obsession for old MTB's. :distrust:

HLC

Likes Dirt

I have a 1985 Hillman with 2012 Campag 10spd Veloce on it.

I love it.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I think the pleasure is in doing the work rebuilding/restoring or just making it rideable and seeing the end result. Probably even more so if you're on a tight budget. Yeah there is a bit of nostalgia thinking that the bike is like 30 years old and myself being 32 makes it almost as old as me!

A person like me is probably more into bikes than I am into riding, if I brought a brand spanking new bike I'd be staring at it, thinking about how to change it for the better and just wanting to customize and tinker anyway. Getting an old bike and then taking time doing it up on a budget is probably ideal, it provides a challenge and in the end a sense of accomplishment, so a bit more pleasure in riding it rather than having paid say 3x as much for a new bike and having the guilt trip of spending such a big amount of money where there is other more important debt to pay off :(

I can understand how some people would be passionate in a nostalgic way ( same as old cars or anything else). For me it's the fact that they're cheap or free and too good to just leave to rust away somewhere! Although I must say anything I can't see myself using I don't like to keep for too long, probably my downfall in the long turn, I hate stuff just sitting around only to later find I probably should have kept it!

For others I guess the obsession is probably a lifetime of different bikes hunting for the holy grail, the one that's worth a mint because it's rare or highly desirable!

al_

Likes Dirt
I like my steel roadie. It isn't very vintage though, as it has a new threadless fork, modern cockpit and mostly 7800/7900 group. I just buy bits when I see them, so it slowly evolved to what it is now.

Riding on the road is pretty boring at the best of times, so I would rather spend money on the mtbs, where upgrades seem to make more of a difference. I can't think of anything worse than a road group ride though, so I don't worry about how my speed/setup compares with others.

Worrying about how titanium looks like old steel seems a bit misguided. Just ride the thing.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
My latest project, A Repco Superlite that was given to me by my Brother & Sis In Law on Sunday. I don't think it will take much to get it going, just give it a clean and once over and a seat.

At the moment I seem to be into the vintage road bikes....getting old!

That was first real bike. One that I actually paid for with my own money. I used it in Perth as a Courier. Mine was yellow though. I loved that thing!

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Here is my "new steel roadie" :)

Cracked the frame in my Avanti Giro & decided I needed something a bit more practicle for commuting & general duties:

163344_452991891383002_100000165844761_1903887_229803963_n.jpg

So far I love it, yep its a bit heavier but not that much and the ride makes up for it ten fold.

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
@ scblack - hey bud, done two solid rides now on the SOUL wheels and I have NO complaints at all. Despite my 85kg they seem very solid and no flex through faster/rough corners. They spin up so damn easy compared to my old Alex wheelset and after a total of about 300klm now there is no hint of spokes coming loose at all. Even hit the fed highway with some pretty good cross winds and the 30mm rim didn't seem to catch to much wind. So all up so far I would recommend. Will try and give an opinion after 1000klm as well.