Post up ya 4WD!

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
A mate took us out last night in his new auto .bt50 and we were all very impressed with its off road capabilities and features like the hill descent. They might still be a little pricey though. Also might just be personal preference here but i wouldn't even consider buying a new 4x4 with a manual gearbox, the new autos are just too good

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Also might just be personal preference here but i wouldn't even consider buying a new 4x4 with a manual gearbox, the new autos are just too good
Yeah each to his own, I'm the opposite, love to drive the manuals, can roll start them for one on a flat battery. I think its just easier driving round the paddock in a manual, not on the brakes all the time down hills too which is handy in the wet.

floody

Wheel size expert
Lots of reasons why manuals are better in a true workhorse situation.

Stupid ADRs, needlessly complicated crap on all these modern 4WDs! Wish you could buy something with the good drivetrain (e.g. modern turbo diesel) and just simple everything else, e.g. manual gearbox, hubs and t-case shift, steel rims in a diameter that allows normalish tyre selection (e.g. 16" max), no abs, tcs, dsc, bluetooth, gps, airbag bullshit. I'd get finance tomorrow.

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
Yeah each to his own, I'm the opposite, love to drive the manuals, can roll start them for one on a flat battery. I think its just easier driving round the paddock in a manual, not on the brakes all the time down hills too which is handy in the wet.
Yeah don't get me wrong i love manuals too but anything late model with a turbo just seems to go much better with an auto an not just 4x4s either. I bought an xr6 turbo and wouldn't even consider a manual in that.
Going down hills is where the hill descent feature comes in handy as it's like tractoring down in first gear in a manual but you can adjust your speed with the cruise control buttons. But i think the bt50s and maybe the rangers are the only ones that have it.
Definitely personal preference but yeah after driving plenty of both I'd go auto every day

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Yeah don't get me wrong i love manuals too but anything late model with a turbo just seems to go much better with an auto an not just 4x4s either. I bought an xr6 turbo and wouldn't even consider a manual in that.
Going down hills is where the hill descent feature comes in handy as it's like tractoring down in first gear in a manual but you can adjust your speed with the cruise control buttons. But i think the bt50s and maybe the rangers are the only ones that have it.
Definitely personal preference but yeah after driving plenty of both I'd go auto every day
Yeah I got the hill creep in the Ranger, don't use it much as I have a manual, it's also in the later model Colarados. Thanks for the hint on the cruise when using it, never knew that and it goes so slow otherwise. We had an SS commodore at one stage, way more fun to drive in a manual, but a pain if you drive around the city.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Excuse my ignorance, but how can an alternator swap cost 2k? Is it buried away somewhere stupid in the car, or is it cnc'd from platinum? Or am I totally missing the point?
Yeah there's something wrong there.
Not a 4wd, but my maxima has it's alternator in the worst spot - just below and to the side of the engine, so it get's nice and hot. It's near the bottom (but not quite there) of the engine bay, so it collects all the shit but is almost impossible to get at from the top, but still hard to get at from the bottom.

$300 for a new alternator and to get the old one out and new one in at my local auto electricians. (Coincidentally, you get about 200k's out of an A32 alternator).

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
Yeah I got the hill creep in the Ranger, don't use it much as I have a manual, it's also in the later model Colarados. Thanks for the hint on the cruise when using it, never knew that and it goes so slow otherwise. We had an SS commodore at one stage, way more fun to drive in a manual, but a pain if you drive around the city.
I'd have a manual in a v8 too but auto xr6ts are faster than the manuals.
I wasn't sure if the manual rangers had hill descent, seems kinda of lazy

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would gladly trade my GQ for a 130 defender. Love this, regaurdless of how crossed up old mate gets he continues to give it the berries.

[video=youtube;maRKWCODnKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maRKWCODnKo[/video]

rollingrambo

Likes Dirt
I would gladly trade my GQ for a 130 defender. Love this, regaurdless of how crossed up old mate gets he continues to give it the berries.

[video=youtube;maRKWCODnKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maRKWCODnKo[/video]
Dr harry cooper doing a house call in the bush? Haha have only heard good things about defenders

taquar

Likes Dirt
In the much more modest spending category...

...Looking to move into a 1998-2004 Hilux. Probably 2.7 petrol, 3 litre turbo diesel is too spendy. Want single cab, styleside tub.
How are they to own? Preferably I want the absolute base spec, e.g unpainted bumper/grille, semi-bench seat, vinyl floor, manual, steel split rims etc.
Prone to any particularly major failures in daily and occasional light trail use?
I've got the 4x4 dual cab LN167. 3L diesel with no turbo. It goes hard considering the lack of power when overtaking up hills, but I've never heard many bad things about the 2.7. Apparently it does have some balls to it.

What are you gonna use it for? Mines got a 2" lift, extractors + 2 1/4 exhaust, 31" muddies and its awesome fun.

floody

Wheel size expert
I plan to be using it pretty much as our second car, daily transport for me (99% of the time, just me), occasional off-road daytrip, snow wheeling trips, shuttles etc. For me single cab, tub tray works the best, and the simpler/lower spec and options, the better.
Ideally want to keep it mechanically close to stock, probably set of new shocks and flexy no-load leafs, index the torsion bars up a safe amount, set of 235/85R16 mud tyres on the stock steel riims, maybe a rear air locker since it won't flex like my RN46.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I plan to be using it pretty much as our second car, daily transport for me (99% of the time, just me), occasional off-road daytrip, snow wheeling trips, shuttles etc. For me single cab, tub tray works the best, and the simpler/lower spec and options, the better.
Ideally want to keep it mechanically close to stock, probably set of new shocks and flexy no-load leafs, index the torsion bars up a safe amount, set of 235/85R16 mud tyres on the stock steel riims, maybe a rear air locker since it won't flex like my RN46.
The older 2.7's are pretty bulletproof too as long as they're serviced regularly. A mate of mine has owned a 2000 style sided single cab since new and has used it predominately as a work vehicle doing long hauls with heavy loads. I can recall him regularly doing ~200km trips to and from their farm carrying a tray load of hardwood firewood whilst towing a large bobcat bucket, up over ranges with pretty solid ascents and descents. The thing has just hit 350xxxKm's and is still going strong.

My brother has a single cab 2.7 tray back and holy shit is it rigid making the ride pretty ordinary. I'd definitely be looking at different leafs especially if you're not going to be carrying loads. I had a steel tray on my last Hilux with stock rear leafs and I found it rode so much better, not just because the heavier tray made for a smoother ride but it definitely performed better in the wet and dry due to the heavier arse end.

And as far as my current vehicle goes, I fitted a turbo kit, FMIC and 3" straight through to my td42 gq and couldn't be happier. My fuel consumption has gone down but have seen a welcoming boost in power. It makes driving the thing so much better, even when not offroad. By no means is it a rocket but it just makes the vehicle feel so much lighter.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Lots of reasons why manuals are better in a true workhorse situation.

Stupid ADRs, needlessly complicated crap on all these modern 4WDs! Wish you could buy something with the good drivetrain (e.g. modern turbo diesel) and just simple everything else, e.g. manual gearbox, hubs and t-case shift, steel rims in a diameter that allows normalish tyre selection (e.g. 16" max), no abs, tcs, dsc, bluetooth, gps, airbag bullshit. I'd get finance tomorrow.
76 series Cruiser is pretty close to that. Probably the most sparsely mod-conned new 4x4 around.

ajay

So I was in the market for a dual-cab ute last year, but I'm likely getting a work ute. Something like a BT50/Ranger/HiLux. Great news! Except the likely hood of it being a dual cab is very small. At best I think I could get a super cab as tray space is important. With the prospect of a family looming, things like the ability to put a baby seat in this thing is something I need to consider. Does anyone know if its possible/legal/practical to put a baby seat in the rear seat of a super cab? The info I've read seems mostly anecdotal.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
So I was in the market for a dual-cab ute last year, but I'm likely getting a work ute. Something like a BT50/Ranger/HiLux. Great news! Except the likely hood of it being a dual cab is very small. At best I think I could get a super cab as tray space is important. With the prospect of a family looming, things like the ability to put a baby seat in this thing is something I need to consider. Does anyone know if its possible/legal/practical to put a baby seat in the rear seat of a super cab? The info I've read seems mostly anecdotal.
As somebody with a 1 year old. You do not want to be putting a newborn baby in and out of a 'super cab'.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
I've got a PX Ranger Super Cab with a tray, it has provisions for a baby seat in the back, but if you live in a city/place with busy car parks I'd be wary opening the suicide doors if there's a car next to you, you'd have to open them wide to have easy assess to a baby.

photo 34.JPGphoto 35.JPG

ajay

I've got a PX Ranger Super Cab with a tray, it has provisions for a baby seat in the back, but if you live in a city/place with busy car parks I'd be wary opening the suicide doors if there's a car next to you, you'd have to open them wide to have easy assess to a baby.

Thanks for that, I guess if it's got the lugs there then it's "legal", but so far doesn't look like its overly practical... We do have a new Corolla which would do most of the run about stuff, but the versatility of 2 vehicles would be great.