Post up ya 4WD!

This is me and my toy.
4.2 turbo diesel GU II set up as a serious tourer (2 seater nowadays)
the-gu.jpg

this is my old toy. a 4.0 non-turbo diesel troopy 2 1/2 seater (always so cosy with 3 across the front)

sunset1.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
Thousands hey.. prepared to share your findings? or at least be able to back that statement up..... and yes I own a 3lt patrol
Early 3lt had a host of critical faults, including undersized sumps. Thousands was a conservative comment. If you need proof, google it or jump on a troll forum. That said, your 05 has had most bugs ironed out.

the 3.0 had their problems and are deffinately more sensitive to poor maintenance, especially the early ones but the later models aren't as bad.
I am personally aware of 3 x 3.0's that belonged to friends that grenaded. now thats 3 out of 5 mates that had 3.0's. They were all earlier models and they all were taken off road most weekends.
The reason i searched for and found a 4.2 is little to no electronics to fail when in remote areas (think water crossing), potential reliability issues (again for remote areas)
the 3.0 engine is a lot more stressed having to propel 3500kg plus, whilst the 4.2, which produces similar power figures (at lower revs) is just plodding along. This lower stress relative to the size of the motor should lead it to have a significantly longer life if maintained properly.

void

Likes Bikes
Early 3lt had a host of critical faults, including undersized sumps. Thousands was a conservative comment. If you need proof, google it or jump on a troll forum. That said, your 05 has had most bugs ironed out.
Wrong guy but any way....

the 3.0 had their problems and are deffinately more sensitive to poor maintenance, especially the early ones but the later models aren't as bad.
I am personally aware of 3 x 3.0's that belonged to friends that grenaded. now thats 3 out of 5 mates that had 3.0's. They were all earlier models and they all were taken off road most weekends.
The reason i searched for and found a 4.2 is little to no electronics to fail when in remote areas (think water crossing), potential reliability issues (again for remote areas)
the 3.0 engine is a lot more stressed having to propel 3500kg plus, whilst the 4.2, which produces similar power figures (at lower revs) is just plodding along. This lower stress relative to the size of the motor should lead it to have a significantly longer life if maintained properly.
yep more that aware of the problems.Always interested when people keep going on about thousands of them blowing up. Then again Land Rovers don't have the best rep either. BTW - I am not here to start a internet battle.

Currently own a Series 2 (2001). it has done 180K, of which I have done over 100K of them. I have had the same issues as my old man, who owns on 07 CRD (exhaust manifold requiring machining, alternator etc). At the end of the day look after them and I am sure they will last.

moorey

call me Mia
The 4.2TD is an ancient, but bombproof and brilliant motor. When i had a GU, I couldn't afford a coveted 4.2TD, so settled for the 4.5 petrol (temporary vehicle). Wasn't touching the 3.0 diesel with a barge pole, even if MOST had their original problems fixed. Most of my associates in the 4x4 world simply call them 'tick ticks' :roll:

i got lucky with mine. happened to look at the right time and scored a very good low km version for the price.
Mine was a stocker, 6 years old at the time with 80,000 country km on it and the previous owners definition of off-road was the gravel roads around the area.

I had to go to portland (near SA VIC border) from melbourne to get it and bought it for $30k from a dealer.

I reckon i'll still be driving it in 20 years time as i'm a bit of a techno-phobe when it comes to 4wd and dont want all the computer controlled stuff so will continue to look after it.

The techno-phobe part is quite ironic as electronics and computers is what i enjoy and do for a living.

The bikes are a new thing and thanks to George at isi, the bikes are coming with me on the next high country trip :)

Zam

Likes Dirt
Interesting in peoples opinions with going for the older models with less electrics (which i actually agree with), considering i drive a 91 2.8d dual cab lux.

I was recently speaking with my sisters boy friend who is a mech engineer with Holden and basically the way diesel technology is going they are all becoming high performance engines, which will be interesting to see if they last as longa s the older diesel do before needing a rebuild. As consumers have a want for more power with greater fuel economy the only way to achieve this is making smaller engines with greater output therefore increasing the stress on the motor and potentially reducing its life.

with these new breed of diesel engines also comes the requirement of more refined cleaner diesel fuel which is fine if your driving around Europe, but here in Aus the diesel is far less refined let alone the chance of picking up some dirty fuel in the outback.

Anyways, just thought i was interesting on peoples choices when looking for a new 4by and some tending to with the older engines, i would hate think how stressed these new 2.4 twin turbo engines in the Amarok go in a few years with a lot of KM's on them.....

Ant27

Likes Dirt
Thousands hey.. prepared to share your findings? or at least be able to back that statement up..... and yes I own a 3lt patrol
Dude go onto the patrol forums and look at all the threads on how to change 3.0ltr head gasket. nissan 4.2>3.0 /thread

floody

Wheel size expert
I think the 3 litre patrols being grenades is more hype than reality. I know quite a few people with them and none have had any issues, regular servicing, all dealer bulletins implemented etc and no problems. My partner's sister has daily driven one since 2006 (think its an '03 build) with no issues.

And as for modern diesels being fragile...lets see how that pans out. I certainly wouldn't be holding up a gutless, head cracking Toyota 3L as a model of reliability and efficiency. Time will tell.

Meanwhile my unopened 31 year old 18R-C soldiers bravely along with its worst quirks being timing chain rattles and, well, 90-odd hp on its best day...

Last edited:

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Don't own this one any more, but man you should have seen the look on my wifes face when i brought it home...priceless...1988 ln65 2.4 diesel. When looking to buy one they were all flogged and crap, so i brought one that had fallen over, and rebuilt it - end price was the same as someone else''s POS, but i knew every nut and bolt; with new OME suspension, air, trim, stereo, rad, injectors, pumps, hoses, belts, brakes, glass and tint, headlights and lenses, wheels/tyres, hubs, fr/rear tailshafts and bearings -other than block, gearboxes and diffs, nothing else was left untouched. had it about 4 years after, went everywhere and did about 100,000kms without laying a finger on it. sorry for the crappy images, scanned copies of actual photos...

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
I think the 3 litre patrols being grenades is more hype than reality. I know quite a few people with them and none have had any issues, regular servicing, all dealer bulletins implemented etc and no problems. My partner's sister has daily driven one since 2006 (think its an '03 build) with no issues.
Anecdote doesn't equal evidence. That said, hundreds of anecdotes start to form a picture. Have you looked at the patrol forums, Floody? Whole forums dedicated the the problems. Even by 2003 most of the problems were largely sorted.....well, relative to the previous 6 years.

floody

Wheel size expert
I have read more talk about problems, than people talking about actually having problems.

No doubt they have issues with the EGR etc but they're not a fundamentally bad engine.

Nice work 4dabush.
Jealous of the split rims, think I can find a set to refurbish for my Hilux?

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Nice work 4dabush.
Jealous of the split rims, think I can find a set to refurbish for my Hilux?

haha, could even give them away and I had 6 of the buggers... cost me about $10 each to leave them at the recycling yard. Thought somone might have wanted them for a trailer - they all had legal tread even!

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Yeah, cheers. I did heaps of research before buying, and we (the boss & I) still decided on the Troll. I'm researched all the common faults, their symptoms, and what is required to rectify them.

That, and I don't drive like I've just got my P's anymore :)

floody

Wheel size expert
That, and I don't drive like I've just got my P's anymore :)
LOL, unlike about 75% of 4WDers, regardless of age, who seem to think the throttle is an on-off button, speed limit is a dare, tailgating is essential, and wheelspin, speed and the biggest motor possible are the key to success off-road.

haha, could even give them away and I had 6 of the buggers... cost me about $10 each to leave them at the recycling yard. Thought somone might have wanted them for a trailer - they all had legal tread even!
I know right! Man I cannot find a set of pre-90s splits anywhere. Really want to refurbish a set and fit some Simex MP-Trekkers on. Every man and his dog puts undersized 31x10.5" tyres and 15" sunraysias on their lux (750-16s are roughly 32") yet they're just non-existent.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
LOL, unlike about 75% of 4WDers, regardless of age, who seem to think the throttle is an on-off button, speed limit is a dare, tailgating is essential, and wheelspin, speed and the biggest motor possible are the key to success off-road.
Solve all of those urges with an old defender like mine. :clap2: