Post up ya 4WD!

floody

Wheel size expert
I have a Rodeo (stop laughing) with one of the Super Cheap Auto winches in it. I did HEAPS of research and the basic conclusion is almost all winches are made in the same factory in China (I forget its name but do a bit of digging and you'll find it). As long as you take care of them they're all going to be pretty much the same thing. I got mine on sale for 377 bucks, and it rescued a patrol that was bogged to its axles with a single line pull. The rodeo's front suspension nearly bottomed out though!

If i could buy again I'd get a rope for my winch. My cable's got a few slight kinks or "bird cages" in it, makes me a bit warey of using it.

Winch blocks are the business, I've scraped my rodeo up a hill on its belly using just the winch with a winch block. For a light vehicle like a rodeo or hilux, 9000lbs is heaps.
Ah well, if you have a rodeo you must use the winch a lot, ergo they must be reliable! :p

dirty130

Likes Bikes
10042011031.jpg

My YN63 toyota 4 runner its been everywhere done everything even got me and all my stuff from brisbane to melbourne and its still got the 2.2 Y4 commonly found in fork lift trucks.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm inspecting an '02 Jimny this afternoon. Super clean with 150K on clock, ARB bullbar, spotties, under carraige has just been rust proofed etc. etc. for $8.5k.

Only drama is it's an Auto. Has anybody heard/seen/know any dramas that may come with an auto? I don't like the idea of the old burglar box but they do certainly have a few benefits, particularly when 4x4'ing.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So after an inspection I'm put off that particular vehicle. Although it was super tidy both inside and out I was really put off the auto transmission. In a car that doesn't have a whole heap of grunt to begin with a burglar box is the last thing it needs.

I also had difficulty when changing to and from 4X4. Even though I wasn't fully sure of the shift process (different to my hilux's manual locking hubs etc) I wasn't convinced the hubs were locking and 4X4 was engaging correctly. There were no clunking or grinding noises; it just felt like I had to force it too hard and the order of operation had to be changed various times to see the 4WD light to be see on the dash.

Anyway I'm still convinced I want a Jimny. Apart from leg space it felt roomier than my single cab Hilux. I reckon with the help of a moto trailer it will be able to do everything my Hilux can do whilst being cheaper to run and far more capable off road. Only thing I'll have trouble parting with is the power of my V6 Hilux and tray space.

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
More capable than your Hilux?!!!!! Nah man, you're doing it wrong! More economical yes, but a well set up Hilux will go anywhere off road that a little Jimmny can without flopping over for a nap as easily.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes and no. While I've taken my current Hilux a fair few places I would never consider putting too much effort into building it up given that it's IFS. I would feel a lot more happy to spend coin on a 3" suspension lift, lockers, winch, bar work/sliders and bigger rubber on a Jimny.

But if I were made of money an 80 series diff swap both front and back would be a dream!

DirtFix

Likes Dirt
AH! IFS! I have only owned solid axle ones. Although quite a few of my mates have the IFS models and have done the solid axle swaps for a reasonable price.

moorey

call me Mia
Enough of these townie toys.
Heres my 95 Defender 130 dual cab. Lifted, 35" tyres, detroit loccers both ends. Still a POS, but a very capable and fun POS:clap2:

Was even clean one day

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Picked up my 2005 Patrol ST-S 3.0L manual a few weeks ago... Wanna put some ATs on it when these wear down, then turn it into a tourer. Remove 2nd row seats (3rd row already removed for dogs) for extra storage. Other than that, pretty happy

143.jpg

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
oooh i fit right into this thread, when i gave up bike riding originally it was for 4wd's (and motorbikes) how ever i now have both, here is my other toy:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had a Jeep Wranger Unlimited, but it was Petrol and we quickly found it was a bit of a guzzler (or perhaps a lot of a guzzler) and not really ideal for touring (our longer camping trips generally involve lots of driving) so we ended up going back to Toyota. Having 2 kids this is the GXL model which means it's a 5 seater. Probably the vehicle we should have brought a long time ago in the first place, it will be good for now and good for when the kids leave home.
Problem is Hubby drives it to work so I still have no way of taking bikes anywhere anyway:distrust:

photobucket-6112-1328085791687.jpg
photobucket-7929-1328086744938.jpg

He's got some better wheels on it in that pic and this week it's getting new suspension! From memory it's a 2008 model V8 TD, the Jeep (2010 model) had an awesome turning circle but the Toyo has so much more power. DH is really happy now. I must say the Wrangler was rather woeful in power, even compared to my old Mitsi Lancer with 180km on the clock and what seems like a tempremental choke. Changing the diff ratios on the Wrangler did improve drive-ability but didn't help the petrol thirst. The Wrangler was a nice car but not for our overall use which is a shame.

At least there is no need for a trailer with the Troopy especially since we've purchase swags for all of us :D

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Does anybody know if there are any companies (mainstream ones!) making a winch bar for an RN46 Hilux?