Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That just sounds like idiots. Thats not the academic process im referring to.
yes they are idiots. in academic environments. There are physicists using metaphorical airhorns to do the same. Eric Weinstein was laughed out of harvard in the 90's due to some proposed equations that solve a lot of theoretical problems. Those equations didnt fit the narative of the work at the time. Several years later, Witten proposes the same equations and won $3M in recognition for that work - IN FRONT OF WEINSTEIN. So.... yeah Silencing debate or discussion because it doesnt fit with a narrative is unhealthy. Its the proces sof debate that progresses us, not the ridicule.

Remember when the US govt used to laugh and ridicule people for UFOs? yeah, well...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Evidence shown by by hordes of american uni students that use airhorns to rally against views they dont like while crying about free speech. In any case i think you misinterpreted my intent with that comment.
Nah I don't think I did at all.

Maybe there are some, but I bet there aren't 'hordes' of students disrupting events with air horns. And besides, student protest dates back long before 'woke culture', which is a vapid generic whine against dissent, ironically embodying exactly what it's trying to criticise.

point somewhat proven..
lol, what point have you 'somewhat proven'?

That I need to have tried the diet to have an opinion on it?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
yes they are idiots. in academic environments. There are physicists using metaphorical airhorns to do the same. Eric Weinstein was laughed out of harvard in the 90's due to some proposed equations that solve a lot of theoretical problems. Those equations didnt fit the narative of the work at the time. Several years later, Witten proposes the same equations and won $3M in recognition for that work - IN FRONT OF WEINSTEIN. So.... yeah Silencing debate or discussion because it doesnt fit with a narrative is unhealthy. Its the proces sof debate that progresses us, not the ridicule.

Remember when the US govt used to laugh and ridicule people for UFOs? yeah, well...
There are always examples of silliness, but I think you're falling victim to cherry picked examples being used as "proof" of some wider malaise that I don't think exists.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
lol, what point have you 'somewhat proven'?

That I need to have tried the diet to have an opinion on it?

No that you'd just criticize someone based on the cover of a book without knowing anything about the content of that book because it seems stupid or crazy. We can debate the benefits or the pitfalls of the keto diet, but its unfair to post a cover of a book "lol" ing at it as if thats the all encompasing argument beacsue you dont agree. Thats the point i proved.

like i said for every keto study that says "bad mmm'kay" theres another one that says "maybe not bad after all" . This is a topic that received much attention over the last decade or so, because as a fatloss tool, it works. Science proven. As to long term health impacts, still debatable.

The book cover says how to cure disease and depression with meat, right? The study i linked explains the mechanism on the molecular level how thats been shown to work in patients with neuro degenerative diseases. All of a sudden, maybe not so crazy. .

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
There are always examples of silliness, but I think you're falling victim to cherry picked examples being used as "proof" of some wider malaise that I don't think exists.
personally i think this happens more often than we think. The UFO example is hardly cherry picked - thats been going on for 50 years. Youre all crazy, tin foil hat wearers, conspiracy theorists etc.

"uh guys, theres something in our skies, and we dont know what it is. its not ours and we dont know what it is and it makes no sense as it seems to defy the laws of know physics" is now the offical stance. It used to be career suicide to even talk about this stuff seriously in academic circles...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
like i said for every keto study that says "bad mmm'kay" theres another one that says "maybe not bad after all" . This is a topic that received much attention over the last decade or so, because as a fatloss tool, it works. Science proven. As to long term health impacts, still debatable.
This is a direct quote from the conclusion of the study you posted:

The Implication of Physiological Ketosis on The Cognitive Brain: A Narrative Review said:
it is still undetermined whether high-fat intake associated with KD and MCT consumption can eventually lead to cardiovascular risk [115] and liver damage (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease; NAFLD) [116], and whether prolonged ketosis can lead to adverse events. Future studies must therefore determine the safety of prolonged interventions and weigh their benefits.
There is no sensible medical justification for me to try this diet. And for Peterson to peddle a simplified explanation of it to a vulnerable cohort like people suffering depression, is a fabulous reason for me to
post a cover of a book "lol" ing at it

Jpez

Down on the left!
A couple of posts into this little giggle fest I thought to myself any moment now Squiddly is going to mention aliens. And he did!
Keep going with the little green men thing Squiddly . I’m having a real slow day at work so this is perfect.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
This is a direct quote from the conclusion of the study you posted:

There is no sensible medical justification for me to try this diet. And for Peterson to peddle a simplified explanation of it to a vulnerable cohort like people suffering depression, is a fabulous reason for me to
risks still undetermined - literally what i said. Some of the benefits proven. whether the risks outweigh those benefits - more study needed. Anecdotal evidence from 100'000s of people who follow these regimes privately (not in studies) is pretty strongly on the positive side. Many of those undergoing their own testing regimes to ensure no pysiological damage. All online. all searchable. In the meantime, pharma is pushing semaglutide as a weight control solution (wegovy), but may cause thyroid cancer. It does in mice, we don't know if it does in humans. More study needed. Approved. if you needed a solution, which path would be more palatable to you?

I'm not asking you to try a diet, just merely pointing to an example of when people ridicule something without any background on the content of said thing being ridiculed.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
A couple of posts into this little giggle fest I thought to myself any moment now Squiddly is going to mention aliens. And he did!
Keep going with the little green men thing Squiddly . I’m having a real slow day at work so this is perfect.
meh its not even a debate anymore. glad you're entertained :)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'm not asking you to try a diet, just merely pointing to an example of when people ridicule something without any background on the content of said thing being ridiculed.
I quoted 'background' for you from your own reference and Harvard Medical School, after you intimated that the fact I hadn't tried it meant I didn't understand it.

I'll ridicule what I like, on my own terms.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I quoted 'background', on my own terms.
The only background I need:

(Always wondered why this has a big black square over it to be honest. Is @Scott in the witness protection program, or was it just @Dozer riding in the nude before he got trade deals on apparel?)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The only background I need:

(Always wondered why this has a big black square over it to be honest. Is @Scott in the witness protection program, or was it just @Dozer riding in the nude before he got trade deals on apparel?)
It's a guessing game - identify the bike and you get a free froghurt.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Rotorburn Trance. Back when that was still the Banshee Spitfire (V2), not the Deviate Highlander like now. :p
Have to go back further than that... I'm guessing those are a set of early Fox 40's up front going by the size of the adjuster cover in the shadow. Also no sign of a low chain stay, so maybe something like an '06 223?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Have to go back further than that... I'm guessing those are a set of early Fox 40's up front going by the size of the adjuster cover in the shadow. Also no sign of a low chain stay, so maybe something like an '06 223?
Or have I gone back too far and need to line it up with the name change in '09 (I think)? Maybe it's a Stab Supreme...