Pedal suggestions

finksta

Likes Dirt
I've been using crank bros pedals for about 3 years now, but I'm over the maintenance. I've chewed out 2 sets, and have rebuilt the set I'm on now twice. I don't like Shimano, I feel too locked in, and my knees get really sore when using them. I'm looking at Time Atacs, any one use them? How are they for longevity, and do they offer a reasonable amount of float?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BT180

Max Pfaff
+1 for Time Atacs. I've had the XS model on my Heckler for about 4 years and haven't had a single issue with them. They often cop rock hits and still work as good as the day I bough them.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not to be rude but a good pair of 5tens and a pair of meaty flats will do just as good and last alot longer

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+ 1 Time Atacs. Infinitely better than SPDs in everyway (float, mud clearance, clip in feel, pedal platform feel, etc)

Get the Atac XS which will allow 3 different clip strengths. Cleats can also be set to 10 or 17deg release angle.

Only bad thing will be everyone else on SPDs can swap bikes but you can't. No downside to this if you have the best bike :cool:

Shredden

Knows his goats
not to be rude but a good pair of 5tens and a pair of meaty flats will do just as good and last alot longer
Bullshit.

To the original poster, I am fairly sure you can get shimanos with 3 different levels of float, maybe look into that?

finksta

Likes Dirt
I'm no downhiller, I've tried flats, just not much chop for 6hr+ rides. Thanks for the other advise, seems like I should give the Time's a go. Pity about the CB's, I love the way they work....when they work. They're just too bloody unreliable. As for the price, I don't mind dropping some coin on something that's going to last. I've spent over $300 in the last 3 years on CB pedals, so $150 if they last few years is much better. As for swapping bikes with mates, I've just dropped the most I've ever spent on a bike I've been drooling over, so not too worried if my gumby mates can't ride it :heh:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm no downhiller, I've tried flats, just not much chop for 6hr+ rides. Thanks for the other advise, seems like I should give the Time's a go. Pity about the CB's, I love the way they work....when they work. They're just too bloody unreliable. As for the price, I don't mind dropping some coin on something that's going to last. I've spent over $300 in the last 3 years on CB pedals, so $150 if they last few years is much better. As for swapping bikes with mates, I've just dropped the most I've ever spent on a bike I've been drooling over, so not too worried if my gumby mates can't ride it :heh:
Aaron, I have a mate who was in the same boat as you. Fed up with all the dramas. He got some Time's and loves them. He said they feel and work like the CB's but don't have the reliability problems. Personally my biggest issue with CB is I keep snapping the wings on rock strikes. He said the Times don't have this issue.

Sounds like they will be what you are after...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
TIME atac XS. I have the carbons on my bikes, not cheap but the best pedals hands down IMO.

Float and locked in feel with no play is the best of any pedal that i have had and i put the ease of unclipping from these in an emergency down to the lack of crashes in the last 2 years.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive had both Time and also now running Shimano.
Time are a very good pedal. Well made, and the system just works.
Shimano i find ok, i like there new trail pedal and is probably a touch more user friendly with the action. But if your used to cleats then i think the Time (although pricey) is still a good bet. You'd be happy with either though.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BAHH!!! maybe for you but i've ridden 8 hour days on a cycling tour with mates and the flats did fine! single track, road, jumps everything, i even run full flats on the track bike no toe clips, or brakes, why? 1, i'm a mad man, 2 i have enough control to slow it down should a car decide it likes my front wheel

Hauffy

Squid
Hey Finksta, Have you taken the plunge and tried some Time pedals? Just wondering what you think of them.

finksta

Likes Dirt
No, haven't got around to ordering them yet, probably put in an order next week.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

landy_man

Likes Dirt
Bullshit.
so you've ridden with FiveTens and aggressive flat pedals then?? or is this just your opinion..

I like you also "believed" I had to ride clipped in until I saw the light.. I'd been riding clipped in for decades and decided to change a few months ago.. just to see what I was missing.. and was doing a CRC order so thought why not..

I can't believe I wasted all those years being clipped in.. sure, if you are a XC racer weight weeny.. I understand.. but for general trail etc.. I personally believe flats and 510's are the way to go..

Monks

Likes Dirt
Cell bikes has the Time Pedal ATAC XS Titan Carbon Pedals for $200, which is a great local price.

wembas

Likes Dirt
Ive been riding with CB Candy pedals for about 7 years now... only had to do one rebuild in that whole time... i dont know what you fellas are doing to your CB pedals - but ive got candy's on 2 bikes with no dramas ? i love my CBs. but i know there seems to be a bit of a CB hate club going on here for some reason ?