Pedal suggestions

wotsis

Likes Dirt
Been riding Times since the late 90s. One pair is still going strong.

They are fantastic for reliability and float.

I've used Shimano (also good, but a long time ago and I believe mud shedding has improved) and Crank Brothers (only for a short time as I got sick of the pedal-eject design flaw).

I'd suggest Time ROCs or Aliums- they have steel retention bars which last longer and an independent design that doesn't eject your foot when the pedal hits a rock. I believe that the Time XS pedals have aluminum bars and the ejection problem.

finksta

Likes Dirt
Ive been riding with CB Candy pedals for about 7 years now... only had to do one rebuild in that whole time... i dont know what you fellas are doing to your CB pedals - but ive got candy's on 2 bikes with no dramas ? i love my CBs. but i know there seems to be a bit of a CB hate club going on here for some reason ?
I don't see it as a hate club for Crank Bros, just telling it how it is. I actually love the design of CB products, it's just that they fall down in the area of reliability, and this is a widely known issue with CB products. I don't do anything with the pedals that they're not meant to do, I do about 3-4000 km a year, I lube and grease them when needed, yet I've had a couple of pairs completely go, and the pair I'm on now need rebuilding again. All this while my mates on shimano pedals seem to have absolutely no problems at all. You may be one of the lucky ones, I'm happy for you, but for me that's it for Crank Bros.

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
+1 on times.

Feel the same as shimano with the cleats set for a low angle to release but you can clip in with muddy feet. I have found they are more consistent once worn. The shimanos would noticeably wear and feel different to clip into once they wore a bit, the times are the same every time. I have Z STRONG's on the DH bike and will be getting some of the ATAC pedals for the 6" bike.

finksta

Likes Dirt
So after some deliberation, and much time reading reviews, I went against my better judgement and got some xtr trail pedals. They were on sale for $110 on CRC, bargain. It was price mainly which steered me towards the Shimanos. I know I was worried about knee pain, but after talking to a few people, it was noted that the knee pain was when I had just started riding, and maybe now that I am much stronger it won't be a much of an issue.

Well, first ride with them today, and 70km with zero problem. I actually like the more secure feel and the nice sized platform. Time will only tell if I've made the ride decision, but for now they seem fine.

Thanks for all the help, even though I went against my original thoughts.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2