PC + Stereo - Audio Problem

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
I have a Panasonic mini system connected to my PC for all audio. Using the red/white ports on the mini system and the green audio port on the PC. Today I moved the mini system to another location, and noticed that I was only getting audio from one speaker.

I swapped the cord for a spare I had to check if it was the cable or the actual port on the mini system (Been using a 4m one, the spare is 1m) and found the same problem – only reversed – only audio from the other speaker.

I'm not sure what caused the problem initially, and why the problem is reversed when I use a different cord?

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check your computer is outputting in stereo, and then check if both speakers work on the system with a diferent source, ie radio or something (just be careful because fm radio with poor recpetion isnt in stereo)

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Bumping this, because apparently I hadn't actually fixed the problem.

plug your mp3 player in to the stereo using the headphone connection and see what happens.
I get normal/proper sound when I have my MP3 player connected. However with PC, I'm still only getting proper sound from one speaker.

Activating it's 'Surround' setting gives me audio from the 2nd speaker - but not correctly, as it's evident it's missing elements of the music ie. distinct guitar pieces are absent.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
...why the problem is reversed when I use a different cord?
I'd say it's just because the two cables are wired differently.

If you're MP3 player works perfectly then it has to be the PC. It sounds to me like the jack on your PC is flakey - they're notoriously flimsy. I've had some that comes good when you partially pull the jack out of the socket.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Replacing/Buying a new sound card should fix this then? I've had no luck adjusting the jack/socket so far....

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Might fix it, but I couldn't say for sure - it just sounds that way from what you're describing.

Another test would be to touch the PC end of the jack whilst it's plugged into the stereo - you should get a semi-nasty buzzing/humming sound from the speakers when your finger comes in contact with the right part of the plug. The very tip of the plug will be left or right, and the next contact (shaped like a ring) should be the other side.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Taking the stereo out of the equation completely - using a pair of known functioning headphones connected directly to the PC yields the same result. ie. audio from one side only.

New sound card seems my best bet...

del

Likes Dirt
HAve you tried looking in audio settings to make 100% sure that its outputting in stereo? My computer used to mess up when I output my mixing until I fiddled with it, and now its fine.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
before you buy a new one, take the existing one out and put it in a different slot on the inside of the computer - in addition to re-seating it, this will force the computer to see it as new hardware and reinstall the drivers, hopefully fixing the problem. i'm guessing reseating it will fix it, but it could be driver related too.

it's really easy to do.. if you don't know how i can walk you through it.

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
before you buy a new one, take the existing one out and put it in a different slot on the inside of the computer - in addition to re-seating it, this will force the computer to see it as new hardware and reinstall the drivers, hopefully fixing the problem. i'm guessing reseating it will fix it, but it could be driver related too.

it's really easy to do.. if you don't know how i can walk you through it.
Using on-board/motherboard sound at the moment :eek:

Daneel

Likes Dirt
righto. yeah, as said, reinstall the drivers and see if that fixes it. if not, you're probably up for a new sound card.. a reasonable cheapie will be around 100, although you can pick up a low end one for sub-50.. if you have the available cash, go for a half-decent one and just keep it for years.

what i wouldn't give to spend 400 on a card though... ohhhh...