P platers driving V8s in QLD

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've recently started noticing an abundance of P platers driving V8 commos and falcons up here in toowoomba. The local fuzz just drive past them not even giving them a second look. What's the go? I was under the impression that turbos and V8s were banned for P platers.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
You can get an exemption* from the QLD Department of Transport which allows you to drive either V8's or Turbo Petrols...

Last edited:

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I've recently started noticing an abundance of P platers driving V8 commos and falcons up here in toowoomba. The local fuzz just drive past them not even giving them a second look. What's the go? I was under the impression that turbos and V8s were banned for P platers.
There are a few ways you can drive one:
1) If it is part of your job (brother was an auto elec, had to drive them every so often to test things), you can apply for an exemption
2) Get an exemption as its the only car you have access to (ie its your parents only car)
3) Bought the car before exemptions came in (would be hard to get this now)
4) Re-badge the car like a true bogan
5) Just drive it "cuz the 5-0 can't touch me bro"

From what I've heard, getting the exemptions are pretty hard (have to provide documentary proof).

Would be a good guess that either 4 or 5 are applicable

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think that's the case guys. I was just talking to a mate and apparently the QLD laws go by power to weight nowadays. Also the throaty grunt of a snarling V8 is quite hard to mistake for a rebadge.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Not power to weight, still can't drive petrol turbos or anything over a v6. Read the transport website.

edit - taken from website.

High-powered (performance) vehicle restrictions apply for the duration of P1 and P2 licence periods for licence holders under the age of 25 years.

These restrictions also apply to probationary licence holders who return from a disqualification to a P1 or P2 probationary licence, where at the time of the offence they were under 25 years of age. These limits apply for the duration of the probationary period regardless of age.

High-powered (performance) vehicles include those with:

eight or more cylinders
a turbo-charged or super-charged engine that is not diesel powered
an engine that has a power output of more than 200 kW as per the manufacturer's specifications
a rotary engine that has an engine capacity of more than 1146cc as per the manufacturer's specifications
a modified engine that must be approved under section 13 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management — Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010.

Your mates are wrong

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You sure there not SS badged SV6's?

V8's aren't allowed and exceptions are very rare.