Nokia Sports Tracker - Phone + GPS + HRM = Bike geekism

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Worth starting a dedicated thread, I've seen it mentioned a couple of times here.
Nokia have the Sports Tracker program/service for GPS S60 phones, which logs your workout and allows you to upload it to the site.
Speed, distance, route, and heart rate (with appropriate sensor) are all monitored and then viewable on graphs. It's pretty nifty, and worth playing with if you have a compatible phone.
http://sportstracker.nokia.com
I've just signed up to a plan almost solely to get an N79 with bonus Polar bluetooth heart rate sensor, and having used it a couple of times already I'm very impressed with the concept. This is much less hassle than a dedicated bike computer, and being phone-based and having the phone on me all the time allows me to track all my riding without having to put extra thought in to swapping computers around, taking them off when locking up the cheap commuter, and is one less thing to have on the bike.
Whilst I haven't played with the autolap function yet I bet it'd be usable as a good alternative to freelap/similar too. Using the GPS map you can even find new training/commuting routes and race yourself or others.

Since we're a strong "community" on this forum I thought it'd be good to promote discussion and sharing of Sports Tracker info, allowing people to compare data for their rides, for virtual riding/racing partners and just for plain gloating about stats :D
Check it out here:
Rotorburn Sports Tracker users

Do pay attention to the privacy settings of rides to/from your home, work or friends places when uploading, I have my commute as a set route to compare times but it's set to private as the detail is accurate enough to see which door of the house I leave from :eek: You will also have to select "share with group" from the share menu on each workout's page.

I'll be updating this as I learn more about the program, if you have a GPS Nokia then download it, log a few routes and upload them to the server. The registration is pretty easy and once you're set up it only takes a few button presses to get the info online after each ride. I'd upload my commutes before I'd even clock on in the morning!

Check it out, nothing quite like a geeky information overload. Even better when geeks get together to share and learn off each other. I have confidence that we can create an active user group based on this forum, and it'll be great tool for training and riding info.

Last edited:

CeeBrady

Likes Bikes
also polts course on google earth

i often ride in plenty gorge between south morang and doreen (sort of remote with no real trails) i use this software to track where i have been, the software can plot your course on google earth which is pretty cool (in that nerd way) but it does help with finding short cuts and learning where you are in relation to the closest roads and that type of thing.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i use sports tracker for everything!

auto lap works okkk, but i need to change the sensitivity of it, as some times, when a track cuts back on it self a little, it says i started a new lap, and can be quite anoying!

ive used it at the snow, of which it was quite accurate,
i frequently use it on my kayak while fishing to see where i am, where i went, and to see what i caught where!
i use it running,
and i use it road riding

i don't use it on my bike for DH, as its not accurate enough in elevation to give good readings, on such short runs. ill get variance of 150+metres perrun in elevation i traveled.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd dig up this thread up!
I've been really happy with Sports Tracker give or take the odd black out of coverage down in a valley.
Always keen to add a few of you forum folk so look me up- loc81 or Lachlan Northridge depending on how you search.
Cheers!

retep232

Cannon Fodder
sports tracker

I have used sports tracker on a few occaisions love the idea, shows exactly where i rode elevation times speeds etc. download to internet get a great view of work out.
easy to compare to previous days. Depends where you carry the phone sometimes cuts out if loses satellites. Should have had it on Sunday at Aireys Inlet rode up Loves rd to currawong creek falls bloody good work out, next time!

hayden222

Squid
and its not just for nokia, i use it on an iphone. Its also available for android and windows based phones.

the link above to the website is old so heres the new one-
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/home

i use it regularly but on my iphone 3g (no GPS) the speed isnt the most accurate, very laggy. but for 3gs and onwards it should be alot better.