Niner E.M.D Build NOW with Body Art to Match

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Fellow Burners

After receiving some wonderful news about 6 months ago that we have our first bub on the way I had to pause and think about the serious amounts of cash I've had stored up in bikes. I decided to sell my Scott Scale 29er, a wonderful carbon creation that I'd only bought 8 months earlier, my Masi fixie and of course the Wifes MTB to buy all the requisite supplies for the impending addition to our family.

Every things been bought and with change left over. This left a modest budget to go out and build a replacement for the Scott. Something certainly not as flashy but no doubt every bit as fun. I found a Niner frame through the beauty of eBay and the purchase was made. Now everything else that follows required the usual searching of the internet forum sites and God forbid LBS's.

FRAME 2012 Niner E.M.D Medium
FORK FOX F29er RL 100 taper with 15mm
BB SLX external
BRAKES Avid Elixr 5 160mm
CHAIN SLX 10 speed
CHAINWHEEL SLX 10 speed
CRANK SLX
DERA-F SLX High Mount
DERA-R SLX shadow
GRIPS ESI Chunky Black
H/BAR Xlite Carbon 710mm
STEM Specialized 75mm run at -13 degrees
H/SET FSA
HUB-F Hope Pro 2
HUB-R Hope Pro 2
PEDALS Shimano M520 Silver
RIMS Stans Crest & Flow
SADDLE Charge Spoon
SHIFTERS SLX
TYRES Front Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 Rear Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 both Snake Skins. Set up tubeless of course.

Final weight 11.5kg.

Feel free to give me thoughts or comments.

All that remains to be said is Pedal Damn It!

Attachments

Last edited:

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
With the brakes arriving on Friday and a drunken Friday night preventing installation the build was finally finished this morning.

Cant wait for the shake down run at Stromlo tomorrow!

Oh Final weight 11.4kg on my home scales so nothing to write home about and about 1kg heavier than my old carbon Scott but that's as good as i'll do on a $1900 budget!

Last edited:

hairyone

Likes Bikes
ride?

This bike sounds just like a new build I am thinking of doing- how does she ride??? Would you recommend the EMD frame???

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
This bike sounds just like a new build I am thinking of doing- how does she ride??? Would you recommend the EMD frame???
Hey mate

Well I'm about 150km's into this bike and I've got to say I love it. Its actually now my goto bike instead of the Anthem which for me says a lot about the comfort and handling of the bike.

The biggest difference I've noticed is my confidence on the Niner is so much better than on my Scott Scale. I'm assuming the Niner guys have the geo well dialed.

It would be great if it were lighter but that's my only gripe after owning a sub 10kg Scott 29er.

The EMD isnt what I'd call a race bike but just a good old fashioned reliable ride that should do me for a long while. I ride it very comfortably over the Pork Barell, Luge, Skyline any of those All Mountain type desents without hesitation and faster than most guys on dualies.

SLX kit has been faultless so far, stans rims pretty solid and schwalbe tires grippy as always. I'd say the wheels will need some love soon because I'm pretty hard on them and they are quite light.

I dont think you'll be disappointed with a Niner. Good luck with the build.

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice bike.

Interesting cable routing on the right side of the top tube.

They ride really nicely. I can only imagine how plush it is as opposed to my EMD, as yours actually has suspension !

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Nice bike.

Interesting cable routing on the right side of the top tube.

They ride really nicely. I can only imagine how plush it is as opposed to my EMD, as yours actually has suspension !
Interesting or annoying with the cable routing. I'm not a big fan of it merely for asthetic reasons.

I cant believe how well it rides for the cheapest frame in the Niner range. I was doubtful when I bought it about how good it maybe but all those concerns have been put to rest. I love riding it.

I dont think I could do the fully ridgid setout I tend to plow through must things and enjoy downs more than ups.

avanti_rider

Likes Dirt
If I had to get rid of all my bikes bar one like you, this would be the one in my garage too! I have done 2 x 100km+ races on mine and it's a dream to ride! It took a lot of convincing to get me onto 29" wheels, but so happy with the end result! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
If I had to get rid of all my bikes bar one like you, this would be the one in my garage too! I have done 2 x 100km+ races on mine and it's a dream to ride! It took a lot of convincing to get me onto 29" wheels, but so happy with the end result! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!
Yeah I cant believe how well sorted the Niner guys have got this bike. Makes me think the better models would be even nicer to ride.

My Niner now owns nearly all of my Strava PR's up and down hill and I'm grinning the whole time well on the downhill bits.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the detailed report. Sounds like something I might give a go.

Cheers mate.
If you're over 80kgs maybe go for some Stan's Arch wheels. Managed to bend my front Crest this morning without even falling off just a wash out and then gripped suddenly. Great tubeless wheel just must be a bit soft because they are lightweight XC wheels.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Decided to update the Niners pics as well.

Still an amazing ride for an Aluminium hardtail and I think an Air 9 Carbon will make its way into the garage very soon. Well I got the ink so I'm stuck with Niner for life now. Well maybe it means a bit more to me than that. Pedal Damn it is my new mantra for life no matter what happens.

I've been through a bit in my time and I think if I hadn't kept on pedaling I dont know where I'd be.

Attachments