Newly Released eBikes and eComponents General

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
View attachment 409104

Nicolai have released an e-bike with the pinion gearbox/motor.

This is a very er, functional looking bicycle. If it were April 1st I'd be slappin' my thigh and saying good one boys, that's some fine photoshopp.
Not going to lie, I would be tempted by one of them (I actually reckon it look alright tbh...) - but then I looked at frame-only prices for their Bosch drive framesets and concluded that in fact I would not. o_O

huge

Likes Bikes
Quick one, went looking at the intense bike range while having a nostalgic moment, ebs for 5000 not that I would ever indulge but it just looked like a good range of bikes , do they become two piece ? Or come with a please recycle sticker ....

Scotty T

Walks the walk

Not a major issue in quality e-bikes, but massive in the cheap ones, scooters and other battery powered things that currently catch fire. Maybe they should just mandate potted batteries in future?

It would make pack repair impossible, but actually nobody is repairing these anyway, it is near impossible to replace just one cell in a lot of the packs that exist without potting. The future for damaged or depeted packs is the full pack recycling like the video that was posted in the climate change thread so potting does make sense. Also can pot multiple modules that make up a pack, so partial pack replacement is possible.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Not a major issue in quality e-bikes, but massive in the cheap ones, scooters and other battery powered things that currently catch fire. Maybe they should just mandate potted batteries in future?

It would make pack repair impossible, but actually nobody is repairing these anyway, it is near impossible to replace just one cell in a lot of the packs that exist without potting. The future for damaged or depeted packs is the full pack recycling like the video that was posted in the climate change thread so potting does make sense. Also can pot multiple modules that make up a pack, so partial pack replacement is possible.
If everyone keeps using the one engineer who’s previous achievements were Subaru and BMW valve cover gaskets, potting might seem attractive. He’s already weaved his magic at Brose, insisting paper gaskets don’t need support on both sides for 100% of the perimeter.

Potting the entire pack and a heat sink out the bottom might be an improvement. Some potting compounds have great thermal coefficients.

Indeed it does destroys any repair possibilities. Hot swapping cells out of packs is achievable if you’re game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk