Newly Released Bikes General

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Bigger tyres help, I can only fit 28mm on my road bike but it does take a bit of the sting out of the potholes and rough surfaces. Commuter has 35mm and it's even better. Can you get a decent size tyre in the old Defy?
Im already maxed out at 28mm sadly. I shouldn't be shopping a new bike, I've only ridden it twice in the last 6 months! But am trying to get into commuting again now I have an office to go to. I've ridden on the road into town a couple of times and its ROUGH!! And Hobart council likes to leave services access covers in the bitumen sitting a couple of centimetres below road level - makes for an interesting moment on the roadie if you're caught out by surprise!

I should get an alloy gravel bike and beat on it.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can see Hobart's godawful roads sending me towards a gravel bike!
If you are headed to the CBD, just turn up Brushy Creel Road, take the first left into the cul-de-sac, through the gate make your way to Pottery Road. Then you can ride fire roads all the way to South Hobart and down the Rivulet Track to the city. Yvonne rode that way for year. *BONUS* Guaranteed to increase fitness due to steep roads. You can thank me when you catch your breath.

Haakon

If you are headed to the CBD, just turn up Brushy Creel Road, take the first left into the cul-de-sac, through the gate make your way to Pottery Road. Then you can ride fire roads all the way to South Hobart and down the Rivulet Track to the city. Yvonne rode that way for year. *BONUS* Guaranteed to increase fitness due to steep roads. You can thank me when you catch your breath.
Ha, yes i have scoped that route out. Feels a bit excessive for a morning commute, at least at my current fitness levels! Im thinking more along the lines of down Creek Road to the rail trail and a gentle cruise in on the roadie.

Will be good to have a dedicated bike lane on Augusta and Creek roads though.

Haakon

Dammit. Now I'm going to have to trial that route with the promise of this https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/revolt-advanced-2-2024

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
down Creek Road to the rail trail and a gentle cruise in on the roadie.
Yvonne rode that one as well. I think about 10-12 years into the 20 of commuting she wanted something different. Not a winter ride. Too many hoppin' thangs and too dark after work.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
This looks like a hoot
The 600 spec with Z2s and 12s Deore looks like a great starter bike, and very upgradeable

First Ride: Merida One-Twenty - A Mountain Bike for Mountain Bikers - Pinkbike
ONE-TWENTY 600 - MERIDA BIKES (merida-bikes.com)
It's surprisingly heavy for a 130mm short travel trail (downcountry) bike, at 15.1kg. My brother has a 2016 Trance alloy and it's 12.7kg with 140mm of travel.
Bikes just seem to have gotten a lot heavier the past few years. Maybe that's just not what everyone is concerned about anymore.

Headset cable routing does ruin it a bit too. :confused:

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
It's surprisingly heavy for a 130mm short travel trail (downcountry) bike, at 15.1kg. My brother has a 2016 Trance alloy and it's 12.7kg with 140mm of travel.
Bikes just seem to have gotten a lot heavier the past few years. Maybe that's just not what everyone is concerned about anymore.

Headset cable routing does ruin it a bit too. :confused:
I reckon most of it will be down to components, despite the burly frame rating

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I reckon most of it will be down to components, despite the burly frame rating
Your probably right.
Just seem that it was only a few years back when most trail bikes were around the 13kg mark. Most are 15kg+ now.

Must be to make the Eeebs look lighter. ;)

Jabubu

let you google that for me
The 600 is 15.7kg. That's 300g lighter than my Spectral 29 (advertised weight) which comes with a Fox 36 Rhythm, DB8 brakes front and rear, and DHR II Exo+ tyres!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I think the new Trek Slash could be doing with one of those according to Lewis Buchanan.

Yikes. Wonder what is causing that. The chain on the Slash takes a fairly wacky path with all the rollers. My HP bike chain retention has been solid even in sloppy mud.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the new Trek Slash could be doing with one of those according to Lewis Buchanan.

I saw that. I've only ever had two very strange incidents where the chain became lodged at the idler and wouldn't move. I couldn't get it back without removing the cover and reinstalling it.
It happened on the same weekend of riding and hasn't occured since.

What Lewis is going through there would have me throwing the bike into a bush and walking off.
It'd be so distracting hearing the chain rattle around like a box of spanners.