Newly Released Bikes General

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
New Druid, nice update.

Changing the suspension design so thoroughly is a surprise, as are the CS lengths - they're now longer than the Dreadnought. But it generally looks like a solid update on the first gen one. Only (minor) issue is potentially weight, with the design and new linkage it'll likely be pretty chonky.

Edit: lol the XL is massive, looks a lot different to the V1:

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5tdGItbmV3cy5kZS92My8yNy8yNzI2LzI3MjYyNjYtOHpkbGNrMmhpdWJkLWFsX2ZvcmJpZG...jpg

I want a go on one.

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Changing the suspension design so thoroughly is a surprise, as are the CS lengths - they're now longer than the Dreadnought. But it generally looks like a solid update on the first gen one. Only (minor) issue is potentially weight, with the design and new linkage it'll likely be pretty chonky.

I want a go on one.
Unless it’s a XC bike modern bikes seem to be on the weighty side. A few comments on forums for both Forbidden and Deviate talking about brake jack but I haven’t noticed it so 4 bar will help with this. Local pricing will be interesting as V1 frame was getting close to $6k. Agree looks to be a solid update.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Carrying over what SRAM learned about the angled derailleur cage on their high-tech Transmission drivetrain, Forbidden offset the angular position of the idler wheel to 0.69-degrees to align perfectly with the middle of the cassette. This is optimized for both 52 and 55mm chain lines.

From what I've seen the bike industry doesn't have much idea about precision carbon manufacturing, .69 degrees is more like the allowable tolerance. As in, the idler could be +/- .69 degrees out of alignment and we don't GAF. More marketing hype.
Also, the colour guy from Santa Cruz has a new gig at Forbidden it seems.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
A few comments on forums for both Forbidden and Deviate talking about brake jack but I haven’t noticed it so 4 bar will help with this. Local pricing will be interesting as V1 frame was getting close to $6k. Agree looks to be a solid update.
I definitely noticed brake jack on mine initially but just learnt to adjust my braking technique. It's probably made me a better less shit rider.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Unless it’s a XC bike modern bikes seem to be on the weighty side. A few comments on forums for both Forbidden and Deviate talking about brake jack but I haven’t noticed it so 4 bar will help with this. Local pricing will be interesting as V1 frame was getting close to $6k. Agree looks to be a solid update.
The brake Jack is very noticeable on my Deviate. If it’s steep, rooty and janky, brake dragging has the rear firming up. Very much have to change my braking style which is a good thing.
The new Druid is a nice looking frame. I’ve always thought both Forbidden and deviates were unco looking frames and this looks much more refined to my eyes. And no headset routing is good obviously.
No cable derailleur routing though….

Carrying over what SRAM learned about the angled derailleur cage on their high-tech Transmission drivetrain, Forbidden offset the angular position of the idler wheel to 0.69-degrees to align perfectly with the middle of the cassette. This is optimized for both 52 and 55mm chain lines.

From what I've seen the bike industry doesn't have much idea about precision carbon manufacturing, .69 degrees is more like the allowable tolerance. As in, the idler could be +/- .69 degrees out of alignment and we don't GAF. More marketing hype.
Also, the colour guy from Santa Cruz has a new gig at Forbidden it seems.
The Deviate idler is kinda loose so it almost pivots in line with the chain line line anyway. So yeah. Mucketing.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I definitely noticed the brake jack on HSP bikes. The Forbidden more than the Deviate but they both had it.

Like others I just learnt to stay off the brakes in key situations.

The Druid updates look very good. I don't think it looks as nice but it's the ride that counts.
And the rear end is very long. I love proportional sizing but that might be a challenge to thread through tight trails.

And I must admit I was expecting more travel. Revisions usually/often mean a bump in suspension numbers.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The brake Jack is very noticeable on my Deviate. If it’s steep, rooty and janky, brake dragging has the rear firming up. Very much have to change my braking style which is a good thing.
The new Druid is a nice looking frame. I’ve always thought both Forbidden and deviates were unco looking frames and this looks much more refined to my eyes. And no headset routing is good obviously.
No cable derailleur routing though….

The Deviate idler is kinda loose so it almost pivots in line with the chain line line anyway. So yeah. Mucketing.
To my eyes the Highlander looks awesome, will try to pay attention to what the rear is doing next ride through some rocks. Usually trying to focus so I don't die.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The Druid updates look very good. I don't think it looks as nice but it's the ride that counts.
And the rear end is very long. I love proportional sizing but that might be a challenge to thread through tight trails.
Looks are definitely growing on me. Thought it was a backwards step at first but that parallel line through from the downtube to the CS and similar from the top tube to the seat stay (ala Mondraker) are doing it for me.

Given the new suspension design, CS length at sag might be nudging 490mm on the bigger sizes??

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Nice sizing updates on the Druid and the chainstay lengths are great. Only thing I'd prefer was a slightly slacker head angle but if I was the market for a carbon trail bike this would be on the list.

EDIT Just noticed the shock size has shrunk too. Generally not a fan of this because when you shrink stroke you ask more of the damping and that narrows the window of goodness.

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's some seriously hard hitting riding in that release vid, 2:40 looks cool then you see the side/front profile and wow.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
New Druid looks hot. Interesting they went to a Horst link layout and the related comments from many about brake jack in single pivot high pivot bikes. My Kavenz isn't as high-pivot as some and uses a Horst link and I've never noticed any brake jack so it seems to be a good solution.

Can't believe how long the chain stays are though. Wow. On a size Rotorburn (XL) the rear centre is 466 and they grow by 20mm through travel. Rest looks pretty standard in terms of where geo is at these days.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Can't believe how long the chain stays are though. Wow. On a size Rotorburn (XL) the rear centre is 466 and they grow by 20mm through travel. Rest looks pretty standard in terms of where geo is at these days.
Personally stoked on the longer chainstay. Good to see a larger brand doing it. Longer the better in my books. I won't be happy until they get close to reach numbers:cool:

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Personally stoked on the longer chainstay. Good to see a larger brand doing it. Longer the better in my books. I won't be happy until they get close to reach numbers:cool:
I am yet to try long chain stays but am interested. Kavenz will soon release new seat stays with replaceable dropouts to extend the rear centre length and I'll be keen to try it out

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm usually the same, my Banshee Prime had 452mm cs length with 485 reach and I loved it.

Fastforward to my Paradox, Highlander and Fuel Ex-e with 425mm and 440mm (both FS bikes) respectively, which is the same for all frame sizes and they all ride exceptionally well.

I sometimes wonder about the Paradox and longer stays but it's such a fun bike that the thought doesn't linger for long.

As always, things can be taken to extremes so I wouldn't want them too long.
Would definitely need to ride the Druid but it's great to see the option exists.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Fastforward to my Paradox, Highlander and Fuel Ex-e with 425mm and 440mm (both FS bikes) respectively, which is the same for all frame sizes and they all ride exceptionally well.

I sometimes wonder about the Paradox and longer stays but it's such a fun bike that the thought doesn't linger for long.
I'm loving longer stays on my FS bikes, but did not find the same on my Waltly hardtails. The first one had 427mm stays and was heaps of fun (but a bit demanding to ride as you had to be concious of keeping weight on the front tyre), the last one had 444mm stays and while it was 'easier' to ride (less fussy about bodyweight positioning), it sometimes felt a little 'dead'/unresponsive because of it. I think the "directness" works well with the shorter stays on hardtails, the instantaneousness is easier to predict somehow.

Hard to describe the actual sensation - best I can do is say that with the long stays each impact felt like three seperate bumps. With short stays it felt like front wheel absorbed with the fork, then back-wheel bumped and pedals got jolted pretty much in time with the rear wheel. With the long stays it was like - front wheel bump/absorb, then slight pedal jolt as the fork rolls off the back of the obstacle and rebounds, and then the rear wheel hits and jolts the pedals again. A lot more subtle than that in practice obviously, and it wasn't hard to ride or anything like that - it was just a bit of a weird feel that I didn't enjoy compared to short CS hardtails. Maybe a flexier frame would hide it better, but the Waltlys were moderately firm (with a bit of springiness).

Basically those Paradoxes (V3's?) are freakishly good, you're not missing out on anything!