Newly Released Bikes General

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I wonder how much power loss there is by adding an idler? My gut feel is that the idler, it's bearing and shaft would all have to be fairly beefy to efficiently handle redirecting all of your power at 90 degrees or more (combined with the misalignment you get from wide rear cassettes/chain angle.

If idler bearings are wearing quickly then that'll be a clear indication that they or other components in the idler system have been under dimensioned.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Why have a high pivot when two is betterer, maybe. Interesting mad science project.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first...f-before-it-happens-on-the-trail.html?trk=rss
There isn’t 2 idlers. The jockey wheel by the chainring is acting as the tensioner for the derailleur. He’s separated the derailleur into 2 seperate functions of shifting and chain tensioning to gain ground clearance and protection.
Watch the video in the article
Because the more drag the better. Duh.
There is no more drag than a high pivot with a single idler or a conventional bike with a chainguide pulley. If anything the fact that the idler wheel is larger will mean there is less drag compared to ur crafty.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Add all the idlers.
If anything the fact that the idler wheel is larger will mean there is less drag compared to ur crafty.
The less, the better.

The top idler takes full load of everything pushed through the pedals.
Same as bb and freehub, a bit more thought needed in the future I reckon.

Putting an idler of any size needs to be well engineered with decent bearings that spin really free.

The top idler also delivers a perfectly straight chain to the chainring, so the idler takes all the chain line angles from 10t to 50t.

Decent fat bearings instead of little pissy things should be the way forward for high pivot bikes.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
There isn’t 2 idlers. The jockey wheel by the chainring is acting as the tensioner for the derailleur. He’s separated the derailleur into 2 seperate functions of shifting and chain tensioning to gain ground clearance and protection.
Watch the video in the article

There is no more drag than a high pivot with a single idler or a conventional bike with a chainguide pulley. If anything the fact that the idler wheel is larger will mean there is less drag compared to ur crafty.
Yup. Forgot the tongue emoji. Cool concept and be cool to try but as old fashioned as it is the rear derailleur is it does work well. Good to see someone think outside the box but wouldn’t a gearbox be better?

moorey

call me Mia
Lol. You really do have your period lately. Try a hot water bottle.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Yup. Forgot the tongue emoji. Cool concept and be cool to try but as old fashioned as it is the rear derailleur is it does work well. Good to see someone think outside the box but wouldn’t a gearbox be better?
I dont think so. A pinion has noticeable drag, everyone hates gripshift ( I thought it was good tho.) you can run the same cassette, chain and shifter (at least that was what he was hinting at) price wise the gearbox needs to compete only with his tensioner and derailleur
Lol. You really do have your period lately. Try a hot water bottle.
Hambo isn’t here to give shit to anymore, so I’ve only got u and safreek left.

edit: also ur running 6 different aliexpress cassettes to make ur 1 drivetrain work, you’d never buy a gearbox m8.