New XT.

Andrey

Squid
Smitsone, is the chain damaged?

The chain looks suspect at the point where it is staring to lift off the chain ring. Are you using a quick link. Is it fully seated?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Easiest way I've found to get them to click in is to rotate the chain so the link is above the chainstay and between the cassette and chainwheel, hold rear brake on and put weight on pedal so as to stretch the link. You should hear a definate click as it goes into position.

Hope that helps mate.

Glad im the only burner to get the boost spacing buy accident hahaha.

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
Yep ok the missing link was fully clicked in and that problem has been solved..The lower half of the block is shifting ok, it's the top half that is the problem.In the 42 the chain line angle does seem a bit severe,chain is making a fair bit of noise on the chainring and if you back pedal chain falls halfway down the block

Smitsone

Likes Bikes
IMAG0190.jpg

Just checked chain line , I plum bobed from chain ring down to cassette, falls in middle of cassette. Had another thought that maybe I have shortened the chain too much ?. In the smallest gear I cannot get any near the recommended having the top derailleur pulley 1 finger width above the bottom section of the chain ?

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
Bit annoyed they don't have the small bump/knob on the outside of the downshift (harder gear) lever, it was great with the 10sp xt and xtr. Easy to downshift without moving your thumb all the way over to the main lever face.

Just slapped one of the 1x rings on, looks great and won't be a pita to clean like narrow wides are.
1 ride so far including some semi hectic stuff with no drops.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's probably just coincidence, welgo pedal on XT crank in wifes bike, it was tightened correctly.

I've seen two others do the same, those pedals have been on saint cranks for the last three years, no issues, just seems strange that this is the 4th XT crank / welgo pedal that has gone bad.

Wife kept pedalling hence the epic damage, gripsport put in a helicoil, fixed perfectly.

View attachment 319800
Shit, it really chewed out the crankarm. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cromo axle in a alloy crank? I got some pedal washer through velogear so hopefully it all good now. I am still dubious on the welgo pedal, maybe I'll swap the welgos onto my X1 cranks to be safe.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I wonder if it has anything to do with the cromo axle in a alloy crank?
Given that the vast majority of pedal spindles are cro-mo, and the vast majority of cranks are aluminium, no. Otherwise everybody would have pedals falling off all the time.

Most likely something up the shit with those pedals, maybe the thread is off-square or something.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Given that the vast majority of pedal spindles are cro-mo, and the vast majority of cranks are aluminium, no. Otherwise everybody would have pedals falling off all the time.

Most likely something up the shit with those pedals, maybe the thread is off-square or something.

I think Ducky's onto it.

Theres a problem with either the pedal or the crank threads.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's probably just coincidence, welgo pedal on XT crank in wifes bike, it was tightened correctly.

I've seen two others do the same, those pedals have been on saint cranks for the last three years, no issues, just seems strange that this is the 4th XT crank / welgo pedal that has gone bad.

Wife kept pedalling hence the epic damage, gripsport put in a helicoil, fixed perfectly.

View attachment 319800
What model are the pedals ? I have had the same flats on three sets of cranks (XT, SLX and FSA) without any issue. I'm not a fullon rider like some on here but I still jump, do lots of drops and weigh in at 77-80kg.

teK--

Eats Squid

Mmm I thought all cranks had a steel insert at the pedal threads... or maybe it's just a zee/saint thing

Minlak

custom titis
Anyone using the new xt trail pedals? Feedback?
Me ..... The 8020's love them.. I found them easy to clip in and out and my foot doesn't get that numb pressure point spot I was getting with my old ones. I think the wider platform helps.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
Anyone using the new xt trail pedals? Feedback?
Don't know if the new ones are any different to older model, but I had a pair for a few years on my GP bike and going strong. The XTR version on trail bike get more use though. On my second pair of them, but that's because I stuffed up servicing the first pair. Bought a second pair of XT's at the same time, but still sitting unused waiting for a bike to put them on.