New QLD ute laws

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, my dad was just telling me that he saw an ad on the television exclaiming that from now on, all unsecured loads, even as small as a pair of shoes in the tray, can now incur a fine. Anyone alse have any info/seen this? i searched the net but have not found anything yet. But i have noticed many tradies now have those stretch cargo nets over thier trays, so somthing must be happening.

Anyway, enough ramblings, if this is true, how do you think it will effect us DH riders/ riders who use a ute to transport our pride and joy etc.

taquar

Likes Dirt
I see so many tradie utes with stuff not tied down, I don't think it's something the police are going to take much notice of.

If I had a ute, then my bike would be tied down in the tray no matter what anyway.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it shouldnt..? most people would tie their bikes in anyway?
Most people that I know of would tie them down for longer trips (eg on the way to/from any tracks) but for small trips or just when shuttling up/down a track I've found most people just don't bother as it can be a hassle.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I actually doubt its a new law, its probably been around for quite a while but perhaps there is an enforcement blitz or education campaign happening at the moment.

The wording of this newspaper article seems to suggest that anyway.

I guess its just like most other road rules, is "I was only going a short distance officer so I didn't bother to do it" going to cut it? You might get lucky and only get a warning but you could get a fine too.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I see so many tradie utes with stuff not tied down, I don't think it's something the police are going to take much notice of.

If I had a ute, then my bike would be tied down in the tray no matter what anyway.
I have heard of the secured load rules being enforced, so don't be surprised if it happens to you.

As usual, a few idiots ruin it for the rest of us.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I can't really say I have a problem with people being make to ensure that their crap stays on their vehicle.

S.

ex offender
I can't really say I have a problem with people being make to ensure that their crap stays on their vehicle.
Me either - when it's something that might actually fall off. There are plenty of times (about 99% of them in my experience) where that isn't the case anyway.

keepin it real

Likes Dirt
Was talking to some council guys the other week and they were complaining about having to always tie everything down. Unless it's really loose/light items then the worse you'd most likely get is a warning anyway. Just a common sense thing

Why would you tie your bike down if you put it in the tray of a ute? I've gone hundreds of K's with it lying in the tray and it doesn't go anywhere. Mind you if i had a steel bar across the back of my tray where i could hang the back wheel over the back of the tray, then i'd tie it down :p

Ivan

Eats Squid
Under normal driving conditions, your bike isn't going to cause any problems if it's not tied down. But if your in an accident, or have to take evasive action to avoid an accident, your bike may end up on the road or on someone's bonnet.

It takes less than a minute to tie your bike down, and your protecting your pride and joy.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately common sense has nothing to do with it.....

They are booking people for things that are stupid, I know of someone who got fined for having an empty coke can rolling around in the back, no shit!!
I was also booked while transporting a small pylon sign that fit perfectly in the tray bed. It was so heavy it took 6 of us to load and fit so well it couldn't move in the tray.

The irony was it was for a new cop shop that was opening.