New Binge Drinking Definition

stoff

Likes Dirt
Its official, you can now go to the pub for a good binge drink, and drive home under the limit after two hours.

Link Here

Opposition slams binge-drink guidelines

* June 16, 2008 - 11:09AM

The Federal Government is facing a tough task in selling new national drinking guidelines.

Drinkers who consume more than four mid-sized beers may be classed as binge drinkers under the new guidelines to be introduced next month.

The guidelines are expected to say men and women should consume no more than two standard drinks per day, either three glasses of wine or four middies of beer.

The latest move in the Federal Government's war on binge drinking comes on top of a 70% rise in the excise on so-called alcopops.

Some health groups and the federal Opposition have criticised the guidelines, with coalition health spokesman Tony Abbott accusing the Federal Government of trying to create hysteria over binge drinking.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon says the Opposition has teamed up with the alcohol industry to attack the Government's efforts to curb excessive drinking.

"The only people who seem to think this is not a problem are the alcohol industry and the Liberal Party,'' Ms Roxon said.

Federal Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson today called for Prime Minister Kevin Rudd to rule out a tax increase on beer and wine.

"Mr Rudd's got to rule out a tax increase on beer and wine," Dr Nelson told reporters.

"We got a lecture from Mr Rudd about binge drinking in relation to ready to drinks and so-called alcopops, the next thing we have is a 70% excise increase.

"What we've got to see now from Mr Rudd is a firm declaration that he is not going to increase the taxes on beer and wine."

Dr Nelson said the average person would not consider four middies of beer to be a binge.

"The idea of binge drinking is really getting stuck in to it in a big way.

"To say that someone drinking four middies is binge drinking or having a couple of glasses of wine and a glass of champagne, I mean it flies in the face of the posters in the pubs, apart from anything else, about how much you can drink before you get in your car and drive."
K-Rudd must have come up with this one after his night out in Washington at the strippers a few years back. Bob Hawke would be outraged.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is he expecting to happen with the new guidlines, for people to say "ah fark, by definition i am a binge drinker, i will now drink less". It all sounds like a bit of a joke.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
I bought someone a 330ml Bundy Rum and Coke stubbie in a country pub the other day and it was $9. K-Rudd is losing it on this one. Isn't he trying to save the kiddies? The ones for whom it is illegal to drink anything, anyway?

The new guidelines mean it would be technical possible for a big bloke with a hearty meal under his belt to binge drink at lunchtime and still legally drive. I hope they are going to bring out some guidelines on binge-idiocy.

Churchill - Pisspot
Roosevelt - Pisspot
Hitler - Teetotaller

stoff

Likes Dirt
^^^^^^
I thought Hitler was an amphetamine junky.

Well the new guidelines will do a couple of things:
1. Make people who can't hold their booze feel better that anyone who has four or more drinks is an evil binge drinker - ie Kevin Rudd.
2. Provide some new story fodder for ACA and Today Tonight
3. Make people wonder how out of touch the government can be with reality.
4. Provide some justification to the recent alcopop tax hike by allowing future studies on binge drinking to be manipulated by the new definition.
5. Absolutely nothing of consequence.

patto94

Likes Dirt
I think that it is pretty stupid because they cant say you have had four stubbies or standard drinks you are now binge drinking when they are no way near pissed. Because different people can handle different amounts of alchohole before getting wasted and when some little kid has had three standard drinks, he's not binge drinking because he has only had three if he has another one it will be.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
What is he expecting to happen with the new guidlines, for people to say "ah fark, by definition i am a binge drinker, i will now drink less". It all sounds like a bit of a joke.
All it will do is create a new category of drinkers known as the 'Ultra Extreme Binge Drinkers' or similar. I'm beginning to get the impression that Kevin Rudd is all talk and no action, or no worthwhile action.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
Wait, so two standard drinks per day is his supposed limit? What size is a Middy in the eastern states? I'm assuming that is equivalent to a SA schooner (285mL I think).

So by the two standard drink dest 4 schooners is already over binge drinking, Hell Ican;t even have two stubbies of a standard beer, that would be around 2.6 - 3 standard drinks!

So by the drink driving guidelines for men, 2 standard drinks first hour and one standard drink per hour after...... So the government is actually saying that binge drinking is actually not enough (in general) to legally make you unable to drive a car.

Last edited:

red death

Likes Bikes
Take a step backwards folks. I don't think they're saying 4 drinks & you're binge drinker, it's 4 drinks every day & that's you is what they are getting at. Not my definition of "binge" though. I thought Binge meant never drinking moderately, instead getting blind every time. That sort of foolishness.

Now I know lots of folks have a few every night, just to unwind - they're still quite able to function no problems. Does that make 'em a binge drinker? - not to my mind. Does that make 'em an alcoholic? Well if they have to do it every day I reckon it does!

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Take a step backwards folks. I don't think they're saying 4 drinks & you're binge drinker, it's 4 drinks every day & that's you is what they are getting at. Not my definition of "binge" though. I thought Binge meant never drinking moderately, instead getting blind every time. That sort of foolishness.

Now I know lots of folks have a few every night, just to unwind - they're still quite able to function no problems. Does that make 'em a binge drinker? - not to my mind. Does that make 'em an alcoholic? Well if they do it every day I reckon it does!
Years ago I had the same argument exactly with a couple of mates at Rugby training.

A team mate and I generally always had a beer or two each night. That would be it, far from drunk, could still legally drive even.

Another team-mate considered us drunks. BUT he then added that if he had one beer he was unable to stop until he was pissed as a parrot and was unable to just have a quiet beer or two. We considered him the drunk.

I consider having a couple of beers most nights not to be unhealthy. At the very least, due to the amount of exercise I do, it does not affect my health one iota.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
What does this re-definition do?

Change drinking behaviour? No.
Retard statistics? Yes.
Do retarded statistics result in retarded policy changes? Yes.
Good move? You decide.

stoff

Likes Dirt
In the past they have always used 'binge' to define the amount of alchohol in a single session as opposed to on a regular basis.

Can someone clarify that a middy is a 285ml sized glass?

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Yep, Middy=285ml in NSW. Think it's called a "pot" in QLD.

Schooner is 410mL? Jug is 1140mL?

Why do I know this? No idea actually...I remember numbers, think it was a trivia night...

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
all those in favour.... SAY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

AND I SAY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I saw the FRONT PAGE headline on the Sun Herald and had to buy the paper....bloody hilarious headline!!. So i cut it out, put it in a frame, and it now sits on the wall behind my bar. We had a good laugh about it and decided that what else do you do when discussing the merits of politics and alcohol....we 'binge drank' in the 1st hour,then the second, then the 3rd, then we opend a bottle of red.......wow we binged 4 times over in 1 night....send me to the institution ......... hey Johnny Balfa etc... we could start something here.....the DH BINGE CLUB............
WHO is in?
Seriously, who are they kidding......4 drinks.....