Need some advice for a new 4WD, can anybody help?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Hey guys recently my car was written off by some woman in a barina but luckily me and the mrs were fine. Now the insurance is paying out i need to decide what car to get. Im looking at either a prado or pajero but dont know much about these cars. Are they both equally as reliable and good off road? ive heard great stuff about the prado but i like the look of the pajero. Is there a big difference? does anybody have any experiences with them?

Also what else would people recommend. im looking for reliability and off road capability more than anything.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys recently my car was written off by some woman in a barina but luckily me and the mrs were fine. Now the insurance is paying out i need to decide what car to get. Im looking at either a prado or pajero but dont know much about these cars. Are they both equally as reliable and good off road? ive heard great stuff about the prado but i like the look of the pajero. Is there a big difference? does anybody have any experiences with them?

Also what else would people recommend. im looking for reliability and off road capability more than anything.
If it doesn't stop raining over that way, I'd consider buying a boat instead.:(

dupes

Squid
I'd say Prado. But i think you can't go past a Hilux, i run an older 99 model but a few of my mates run the new ones with no worries, i guess it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

taquar

Likes Dirt
I'd say Prado. But i think you can't go past a Hilux, i run an older 99 model but a few of my mates run the new ones with no worries, i guess it all comes down to how much you're willing to spend.
As he said. I'd personally go with a Hilux, Landcruiser or a Nissan Patrol. But price is gonna matter. Just don't get a hilux "workmate", they're shit. No offroad capabilities at all.

AcTioN13

Likes Dirt
Why does everyone say get a hilux. they arent that good.
From what i know, both prado and pajero have their good and bad points, but either one would be a good choice for a mid sized 4wd wagon.

GDubb

Cannon Fodder
I recently bought a 4door Jeep Wrangler, the missus and I love it. It's not as plushed out as the Prado or Pajero, but what a great vehicle. It goes great on and off road, plus when the weather is perfect, the roof easily pops off. (even the hardtop is simple). At least give one a test drive....

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You buying new or 2nd hand? Want a diesel or petrol, manual or auto? The auto's in each model have ascent/descent control which might be a deciding factor?

If you're buying new, I'm not sure how they go. Second hand however, I have a little experience.
My dad has had an '04 Prado 3.0TD GX Manual for about 3 years and while it's quite comfortable around town and works great in the desert/beach, it's not so good when it starts getting tough. Even when lifted, it has about 15mm less ground clearance than my '92 4Runner. It gets around 11.5l/100km combined and down to around 9.5l/100km on the highway. He's had to replace the suspension as the shocks weren't very suitable for off road as well as the bash plates due to them being belted up to the drive shaft (mostly from the previous owner - ex-DSE vehicle). Power from the engine is fine and is great on the highway, however there is a relatively large amount of turbo lag. Apparently the newer models have improved in this respect.

A mate at work has a Pajero ('06 I think) and he's been happy enough with it to buy it out after his lease finished. He's taken it on a trip across Australia from east to west and back towing a camper trailer and said it handled it beautifully. He used to have an older Patrol but upgraded with family commitments.

My next car will probably be the Mitsubishi Challenger since it's a touch smaller than the Pajero and would do everything I want. I was also pleasantly surprised after spending some time in a Triton ute which the Challenger is based on. The Mitsubishi's also come with a pretty good warranty which might be something to consider, especially if new.

Honestly, I reckon either of the cars would be good, reliable vehicles but obviously test drive them both first. I'm interested to hear your opinion of which ever one, if either, you buy.

EDIT: You're probably already aware of this but the car comparison at Carsales.com.au is pretty good for 2nd hand vehicles.

Last edited:

Matt H

Eats Squid
The sheer amount of hiluxes that get bashed around in warzones is enough to make me want one...

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
You buying new or 2nd hand? Want a diesel or petrol, manual or auto? The auto's in each model have ascent/descent control which might be a deciding factor?

If you're buying new, I'm not sure how they go. Second hand however, I have a little experience.
My dad has had an '04 Prado 3.0TD GX Manual for about 3 years and while it's quite comfortable around town and works great in the desert/beach, it's not so good when it starts getting tough. Even when lifted, it has about 15mm less ground clearance than my '92 4Runner. It gets around 11.5l/100km combined and down to around 9.5l/100km on the highway. He's had to replace the suspension as the shocks weren't very suitable for off road as well as the bash plates due to them being belted up to the drive shaft (mostly from the previous owner - ex-DSE vehicle). Power from the engine is fine and is great on the highway, however there is a relatively large amount of turbo lag. Apparently the newer models have improved in this respect.

A mate at work has a Pajero ('06 I think) and he's been happy enough with it to buy it out after his lease finished. He's taken it on a trip across Australia from east to west and back towing a camper trailer and said it handled it beautifully. He used to have an older Patrol but upgraded with family commitments.

My next car will probably be the Mitsubishi Challenger since it's a touch smaller than the Pajero and would do everything I want. I was also pleasantly surprised after spending some time in a Triton ute which the Challenger is based on. The Mitsubishi's also come with a pretty good warranty which might be something to consider, especially if new.

Honestly, I reckon either of the cars would be good, reliable vehicles but obviously test drive them both first. I'm interested to hear your opinion of which ever one, if either, you buy.

EDIT: You're probably already aware of this but the car comparison at Carsales.com.au is pretty good for 2nd hand vehicles.
Cheers matt the car your dad has was exactly the thing i was looking at

Manual and Diesel

plus i wasnt aware of the comparison thing so cheers :D

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
i did but they are serious $$$$$$$! looking at spending 20-28k
with an ABN in NSW you can get a brand new Nissan Navara D22, 4x4 turbo diesel 4 doorutility for $29350
5 year/200,00km warranty

you wouldn't be disapointed

other than that we use Pajero's and Patrols at work, Patrol is much more basic and pretty poor in auto form
Pajero much nicer inside, has un fathomable stereo/ac/heater/compass/display system.

driftking

Wheel size expert
As he said. I'd personally go with a Hilux, Landcruiser or a Nissan Patrol. But price is gonna matter. Just don't get a hilux "workmate", they're shit. No offroad capabilities at all.
exactly what he said, i would look at hilux's first (older models not these new ones they got nothing on the older ones), then patrol's/landcruisers and pagero's.
I would deffinatly go for a turbo diesel, manual as well.
when buying second hand if you plan to do upgrades yourself makes sure you do appropriate research as upgrading one thing ussually will require something else to be upgraded. If buying second hand a car that already has everything done to it, make sure you get it checked by a mechanic and leave some cash for getting things fixed.
If you do get a turbo diesel check how much boost the previous owner was running to make sure its ok. my mate brought one running close to 30lbs boost I think and needs a complete engine rebuild just messed up everything.

tumble

Likes Dirt
To own a Prado, it's a pre-requisite to:
  1. think you're 10x more important than everyone else on the road
  2. be able to change lanes without indication
  3. maintain over 10% above the speed limit at all times
  4. obliviously cut other drivers off at will
  5. just be a general cock

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
much like a BMW driver then? or even a 'p' plater then ;)

ok a 2002 td5 defender has enetered the mix. are these things a total loss? coming from the UK i have always been mega dubious about UK cars and reliability especially as once i made the mistake of owning a MG ZR..........

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
As a comparison, a Prado for your dollars will have 200,000+ kms on it, and you will struggle to buy a diesel. Believe me, if your weekly budget is tight, dont buy a petrol in either car.

much like a BMW driver then? or even a 'p' plater then ;)

ok a 2002 td5 defender has enetered the mix. are these things a total loss? coming from the UK i have always been mega dubious about UK cars and reliability especially as once i made the mistake of owning a MG ZR..........
If you want comfort, look elsewhere. Good hard core 4wd, but shithouse as a daily driver. Discovery 2 TDI on the other hand, is a great car, but yes, euro quirks with these too.

Daily driver- Disco series 2 or NM/NP Pajero by a mile
Hard core- Just buy a Hilux like every other redneck:cool:

Dane

Likes Dirt
ok a 2002 td5 defender has enetered the mix. are these things a total loss?
An employer of mine has a couple of these in their fleet. I have driven them regularly on the Great Alpine road (Hotham). They are brilliant in the conditions I regularly drove them and great for load hauling (twin cabs). I found they were slow as shit (all that happened when the turbo spooled up was they made heaps of noise), however there was no noticeable performance loss when heavily loaded. AFAIK my employer never really had any major issues with them, however they have switched to getting 4wd (4motion) VW vans instead.

I've also driven an early 2000s Pajero (petrol/gas) a bit and a mid 2000 TD Prado (only briefly). On gas the Pajero was cheap to run and I found the handling was very car like (especially compared to the V8 Range Rover I was driving at the time), however I remember the owner did have to spend a few dollars on maintenance issues. The Prado I've only driven around side streets putting/pulling boats in and out of water. Was one of the best cars I've ever towed with. It's my understanding that they are more capable off road than Pajeros.

If I was in your position, I'd get the Prado.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have to agree.

It's just a smart marketing technique that makes every teenage guy want one.

Overpriced, crap off road, uncomfortable, gay.
have you owned a HiLux? or are you just being a pillock?
because I have owned one and everything your saying is well... wrong.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To own a Prado, it's a pre-requisite to:
  1. think you're 10x more important than everyone else on the road
  2. be able to change lanes without indication
  3. maintain over 10% above the speed limit at all times
  4. obliviously cut other drivers off at will
  5. just be a general cock
Same with Landcrusier owners.. But dont have a towball and say you need it for towing. Or the my fav, I need the room for my 8 month old baby...