My natural gas BBQ wont get hot.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
Hi all , as it states my new natural gas bbq wont get hot enough,only about 250 c.Its connected to the main inlet pipe thats about 10 metres from the house meter.I run 4 appliances off this pipe but the bbq is the first one in line ,i also have 12mm bayonet hose (largest i can find)connecting to bbq from main line.Has anybody else had this problem?if so how did you fix it.
Ive spoken the shop and they say that my gas pressure to the house is to low ,I dont believe this because my last bbq was natural gas and worked fine.
Also ive made sure the jets have been changed from LPG to natural.
Any help appreciated.Cheers.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
The flame is a smallish feathery blueish /orange with no grunt and very little change between hi and low.
Yes its turned on ,ive been through all these silly questions with the shop.

willsy01

Eats Squid
The flame is a smallish feathery blueish /orange with no grunt and very little change between hi and low.
What brand/model of BBQ is it?

Ideally the flame should be blue with an orange tip. Each burner should have an adjustment bolt on it, have you fiddled with them?

I had a $600 Bunnings spec Matador branded thing on which I replaced the burners, flame tamer and plate/grille. Could never get it hot enough after doing all that. Inherited a WeberQ from my grandparents and haven't touched the big thing since. They're just badly designed.

EDIT: Also, the regulator could be stuffed.

Last edited:

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
Thhe brand is everdure,its got 7 burners and cost me 1600 bucks.There are small hex head bolts located rite next to each brass jet ,can i adjust those in or out for more gas/power.?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
good to see a return to the big issues!

can you blow through the pipes with out obstruction? if your gas is running from the house without issue, then there is likely an obstruction somewhere in the machinery.

personally you cant beat wood. except you smell like a house fire everytime you cook and have to put up with impatient morons saying things like 'throw some petrol on it'....yeah right, and i'll marinate your steak in some kero.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Thhe brand is everdure,its got 7 burners and cost me 1600 bucks.There are small hex head bolts located rite next to each brass jet ,can i adjust those in or out for more gas/power.?
Those bolts adjust the mixture of air and gas. The pressure will have changed so you'll probably need to adjust them.....

Optic

Likes Dirt
If you run the BBQ by itself eg, no other gas appliances running at the same time. Does it improve the burners?, it can only be 2 things, your gas line isn't sized correctly or the regulator is faulty, which happens. Tell me the megajoules an hour the BBQ uses and how fair away it is from the meter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
The reg is new as it come with the bbq.The pipe is copper and looks about 3/4 diameter.The bbq is about 10 metres max from the meter and is the first appliance off the line .The other appliances are a gas heater and gas hot plates in the kitchen and i cooked a bbq lunch on weekend (tried)and none of these were on.
How will i know how many megajoules its useing?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
When you say the reg is as new and came with the BBQ, is that one specific to NG application?

If its the one that came with the bbq for bottle gas, that will be your issue.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
The shop i bought it from did the jet change for natural so im assuming they changed the reg to suit as well.How can i tell if its correct is there some markings or code on it.
The shop arent being very helpful and they dont seem to be able to offer anything other than say its my gas pressure ,but it was fine before on the last bbq.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
The shop i bought it from did the jet change for natural so im assuming they changed the reg to suit as well.How can i tell if its correct is there some markings or code on it.
The shop arent being very helpful and they dont seem to be able to offer anything other than say its my gas pressure ,but it was fine before on the last bbq.
Hmm.

Not sure, I will see on my bbq tonight as it's on mains too.

If it worked on the last BBQ then it should be fine. I will also try and find my manual for when I converted my BBQ from LPG to NG and see if there is some sneaky step in there somewhere.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the help so far .I will try Willsys idea tonite and see if the gas /air mix is rite by adjusting the hex bolts.
Any other ideas or thoughts you have please chuck them up, i can already smell the sizzling steaks.
cheers.

Im hopeing to get it hot enough to cook a poodle.:llama:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Does it improve if your run less burners, what was the old BBQ burner count.
Try running the same number of burners as the old one, if it was gas pressure and the old one worked than you should get the same flame.
If however its not getting any where near the same than it sounds like the actual burners have a flow issue or one of the lines in the BBQ so as others have said adjustments on them to alter the flow and oxygen would be the next step.

If that doesn't work than sounds like the burners are just poorly designed and have crappy flow.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
The old one was a 5 burner and this is a 7 burner ,but i only use 3 at a time as with the old bbq.
At 1600 bucks i hope the burners are not poorly designed .
Thought i was buying the Santa Cruz of bbqs ,it runs like a rebadged Huffy.

Zam

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't really be accepting this from a shop where I have just paid 1600 for a BBQ....