MTB as a sport

stewyg

Likes Bikes
does anybody else have the problem of people sayin that MTB isnt a real sport? :evil: all the students at my school are footy mad, and say that i should play a sport. when i tell them that i MTB on saturday mornings they just call me names like "gay" and "pussy" anyone else got the same problem?

yeah i get it all the time i wish that some of the guy's that say it's a pussys sport would come for a ride with me sometime.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Really? LOL! Sounds like yobs to me! Ask them what they consider golf or car racing or fishing to be... if they reply "sport", then you know they're morons.

I guess I don't have a problem with it, since I know that is SUCH a stupid statement to say. Quiz them and find out what defines a "sport" for them.

I'd be curious to hear their replies.

Tell them this as well:
You compete against others in MTB (up to olympic levels)
MTB requires fitness and strength and dexterity
You can get seriously hurt in MTB
You can operate in teams
You have to train if you want to compete

I guess the biggest differences between footy and MTB is that you can do MTB alone without looking like an idiot, you don't need to compete against anyone to have fun, there is no "ball".

Heck, that is just so dumb what they said, I wouldn't even bother asking them.
See... this is the problem we have when we let cousins marry...

Aman

Likes Bikes
MAN..........who are these guys......FOOTY SUCKS........

I go to school in Perth and kids respect you if you do MTB, what kind of guys would call someone that dose MTB gay. Do these FOOTY guys know what DH is.....................IDIOTS

wombat

Lives in a hole
Silver Wahoo said:
MTB = OLYMPIC LEVEL ACTIVITY :D

FOOTY IS NOT. :?:

NUFF SAID :roll:

Jumps up, turns, slams 2 cents in da bucket.
Rugby Union (read: good football) is in fact an olympic sport. Sorry to burst your bubble

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
That's not real football, heheh

The old footy code war, it will never go away :D :D :D

And i do beleive Union is a commonwealth sport not an olympic level game.

Sorry to burst your bubble :?:

wombat

Lives in a hole
MY mistake, I just checked, and you're right, rugby is at the moment a commonwealth sport, it was however an olympic sport (admittedly a few years ago....

I'm not going to get into the code debate though, :) as I enjoy both codes (PANTHERS!!!!!!), but while I used to be a league man, I have since woken up the beauty of union, it's just that bit more flowing.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
I dont have problems, infact most look up to me cos im pretty good for my age and i have balls!

Axel

Squid
I hate people who bag a sport they havn't even tried because there afraid to get hurt, i quote from a friend "Rubgy is more dangerous then downhill mountain bike" sure yeah right

Adi

It's my birthday!
I wanna get a shirt saying: You need two balls for this game

And wear that while I am riding :)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Adin said:
I wanna get a shirt saying: You need two balls for this game

And wear that while I am riding :)
BWAHAHAHAHA! I should have one for golf, but it would be like "I don't have enough balls to make a full round..."

BlueFuzz

Likes Bikes
Hee nice one Adin :)

After seeing some of amazingly fit and obviously very talented people riding I can't see why it wouldn't be classed as a sport.

Ryan

Radministrator
Coming from Cairns, I've gotta say there were probably more riders than rugby players in our senior year (I played rugby and rode DH so I'm pretty sure on this one) so this problem never arose.

If they want to say "It's not a sport" or "You're a pussy" challenge them to hit up some dirt jumps or a DH track, they'll be eating their words pretty quickly I daresay.

Otherwise take a vid to school and show it to them sometime. The newest gen of 'Freeride' vids elicit the same "Holy SHIT!" response from people who don't know / respect the sport as the first Crusty Demons vids did years ago to those who didn't think FMX was a real sport.

G

i get i from dudes at TAFE. 1 bloke rides recreational XC. Fair enough.BUT he says that i am a pussy for racing DH and FR(rec. hucker) :)l)
Because he rides up hill it makes him fully hardcore.