Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month - October

Which is your pick for Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month for October?

• Craftworks

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • 5010 v2

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • RM Slayer

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Turner Czar

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Orbea

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I ride a Giant :(

But looking forward to voting for others works of art!
A mate has one of the same model as yours I'm fairly sure. It's a ripper bike and just works so well across all sorts of riding. It's too small for me, but watching him ride it you can see they work really well as a package.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
A mate has one of the same model as yours I'm fairly sure. It's a ripper bike and just works so well across all sorts of riding. It's too small for me, but watching him ride it you can see they work really well as a package.
FINALLY

somebody else gets it! Trances just work well. Great trail bike.

Last edited:

beeb

Looking at it I'd guess it was more like a Horst link... Has the big upper rocker that most Horst link bikes seem to have. That is pure speculation though!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Split pivot is like Trek ABP which has the rear axle with the bearing concentric to it so it's not on the seat stay or chain stay.

I'd say Maestro is more like a short link bike like VPP or DW Link as they both have solid rear triangles and a short link at the bottom bracket.

Someone with more expertise will be able to clarify.

beeb

I'd say Maestro is more like a short link bike like VPP or DW Link as they both have solid rear triangles and a short link at the bottom bracket.
Haha, well I was wrong. Turns out they do have a lower link - I always just thought it was the shock's lower mount point and never really looked any closer!

A bit of googling later:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did a quick bit of googling and it looks like Dave Weagle sued Giant over the maestro system saying it's a copy/variation of his DW Link design and he was working with Giant to develop a new standard but Giant reneged after a while.

Looks like something was settled out of the courtroom so who knows what actually happened in the end.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Man, I love the Czar (cause I have one and concur with Phil’s comments on the ride) but had to vote for the Slayer just cause I’m a sucker for that Liteville-esk seatstay alignment with the top tube. Good luck to both !

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All right...having owned too many giant maestros, a few SC vpp bikes, a Canfield parallel virtual linkage system (I think it all started with these guys actually...or lawhill perhaps), and not enough DW links...I can assure you that one of the above systems is shit and that I would gladly ride all of the others again. Hell I'd even pay money to own them. I don't know how they do it, but giant have managed to take a great idea (virtual pivots) and produce a very mediocre feel. Dave Weagle is a bit of a wanker though. But that doesn't stop the dw from being ace.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I honestly find the Giant suspension a bit lazy unless you run the shock firm but that makes it feel harsh on big hits.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No complaints from me on the way it rides! But its still a Giant the same as everyone elses ha ha.
I wouldn't want to see it in a PYR thread ha ha.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
That doesn't automatically rule you out. But you'll have a better chance if you've tricked it up to your own spec, which applies to everyone else's bikes too. ;)
What if I sold this 'tricked up' Trance recently ....but then magically "resubmitted" it here for BOTM ?? (wink, wink, cheques' in the mail ;))
All right...having owned too many giant maestros, a few SC vpp bikes, a Canfield parallel virtual linkage system (I think it all started with these guys actually...or lawhill perhaps), and not enough DW links...I can assure you that one of the above systems is shit and that I would gladly ride all of the others again. Hell I'd even pay money to own them. I don't know how they do it, but giant have managed to take a great idea (virtual pivots) and produce a very mediocre feel. Dave Weagle is a bit of a wanker though. But that doesn't stop the dw from being ace.
You're just pissed off 'coz no-one ever stole your Giant.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Tick the box of your choice in the "ballot sheet" at the top of the page. The links in the OP take you each of the bikes; read them, make your decision then come back here to cast your vote. :)
Ah Tapatalk you strike again. Seems like a very daft question now I have visited the actual website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk