Motorbike License questions

matt123

Likes Dirt
So I am turning 16 soon, and was hoping to get a motorbike license but I am not sure where to find any information on it. So some questions I have are:

Do you have to be over 18 to get any sort of motorbike license?
What sort of tests do you have to do?
Is there any websites to get more information?

Also does anyone have any tips or clues on anything?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

niftydog

Likes Dirt
Man, I'm not even from Victoria and even I know that the place to go is www.vicroads.vic.gov.au. In fact, a quick google search turned up this page as the second result which answers a lot of your questions. I would have thought a 16 year old kid would know how to use google! ;):D

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
just get a scooter ... any trained monkey seems to be allowed to ride one of those ... (just keeping in character)

andrew_o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In QLD, to be applicable to go for your motorbike learners permit test you must hold your red Ps for one year. Would be similar in Vic I would imagine.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In NSW you can have your motorbike L's at 16 and 9 months, even before you get your P's not too sure about VIC though.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
yer queensland rules suck nuts! u have to b 18 and held ur red P's for a year its just BS!!! :mad:

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Not sure about Vic?
in NSW, you have to book in a Learners Course over the phone to the RTA (or in person at an RTA, pay the fee etc),
then attend the course which is run over two days, usually Sat/Sun, for approx. 4hrs each day.
If you pass this course, you receive a certificate of competency which you then take back to the RTA, where you must then pass a Computer Knowledge Test (same as the car L's test, but with bike questions as well), once you have passed this, then you pay the license fee, and pick up your L plates.
You can then ride a LAM (Learner Approved Motorcycle) on your own, you are restricted to 80kmph top speed, and you are NOT allowed to carry a pillion passenger.
The LAM motorcycles are based on a power to weight ratio, which limits your choice of bike(to weak as piss bikes but still loads of fun)
You have to stay on your L's for 6 month's minimum if you are under 30, or don't hold a current unrestricted driver's license(I think??)then you can apply to go for your P's.
That is a 1 full day course which you supply your own bike, once you pass this you can go straight to the RTA and pay the license fee and pick up your P plates which last for 1 year, upon which you will receive a license renewal form to go and pay for your blacks(full license).
When on your P's you are restricted still to the LAM bikes, but can travel at a top speed of 90kmph, but still no pillions.
I'd be interested to hear if this is different in Victoria? and also if it has changed in NSW (It's been about 7 years since i got my bike license)
Go for it, you'll love it, Cars Suck

bradleyR513

Likes Dirt
The LAM motorcycles are based on a power to weight ratio, which limits your choice of bike(to weak as piss bikes but still loads of fun)

and also if it has changed in NSW (It's been about 7 years since i got my bike license)
Not all bikes are weak as piss. You can ride a Husqvarna TE510+610, KTM 530 EXC-R + 300 EXC + full Lc4 series, Aprilia RXV/SXV 550, Husaberg FE550 + FS650 and a whole range of high powered dirt bikes that would happily throw you off the back. It only really stops young wannabes from getting a full sized road bike such as a yz-f R1, or Gixxer etc.

Times have changed a bit in 7 years..

I think its 3 months, not 6 months you need to hold your L's for.

I know that after Red P's (1 year), there is still green P's which must be held for 2 years which has only been brought in recently. This is to make the minimum age of getting a full license go up to 20, as it was 18. Just making the roads safer for other motorists, and preventing stupid losses of lives.