Monitor flicker (computer help needed!)

Hew

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

My monitor has recently started flickering hard due to a problem I can't understand. I have tried a different monitor which brings on the same problem, I purchased a new RGB cord and still no difference and I have tried uninstalling my nVidia graphics software which has now decided that it will not reinstall. I also tried changing refresh rates of the card and monitor and nothing seems to want to fix this problem.

I'm running a 9600GT with a Viewsonic 21.5" monitor.

The guy who installed my internet bumped my computer, I'm going to assume he's fucked my card?

Please help. :(

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Is it a flat screen, or old CRT box model? Guessing CRT since you mention refresh rate.

Make sure any speakers, flourescent lamps, or other electrical stuff are well away from the screen. If none are nearby, try moving the screen a few cm. Make sure you let it warm up at least 30sec before saying "it's still stuffed" ;)

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Knopey: It's a LCD screen. (99% sure?)

By flickering do you mean the whole screen flickers like it's refreshing or is it single random lines? I just had a similar problem yesterday and it was my drivers conflicting with other software. I went back to a slightly older driver version and everything was sweet.

I'm guessing you mean VGA cable? Make sure it's securely fastened and if your using a DVI-VGA adapter, make sure it works by swapping it out if you can.

Other then Drivers/cable maybe open up the case and just re-seat the graphics card in the slot...

Other then that, I don't know, doubt the internet fella bumping your computer would damage a video card. Could be a number of things.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like your refresh rate has managed to change itself..

-I would be first inclined to make sure all your connections are good
-After that I would try taking your graphics card out, then put it back in
-try and get those drivers installed
-try the monitor on a different computer

Hew

Likes Dirt
Turns out it was the ethernet cable.

I changed ethernet cables and it stopped flickering.

Now can anyone help me reinstall the drivers for my GPU? I'm having a lot of trouble.

Hew

Likes Dirt
This is what pops up when I try and install the drivers that are on the CD for my graphics card.

I have selected to install the drivers for Vista x64, although I am currently running Windows 7 64, there is no other option other than vista x86 or 2000/xp.

I have tried manually downloading the drivers, but it seems as though they are driver updates as opposed to drivers themselves. I'm having a bit of trouble attempting to find them.

Hew

Likes Dirt
Did you try this?

Also if it was your ethernet cable, i'm willing to bet it's just a loose connection..

I tried 4 different ethernet cables bruv, I'm 100% its the cable. I don't know why, but it is.

Also I've managed to fix it all so thanks for your help kiddies I'm off home.