Mobile Phones

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,

My Sony Erricson K610i just died, so I am in the market for a new phone. I have no idea about different models etc, but I know there are so tech heads on here that are. If someone could point me in the direction of a phone that is easy to use, no silly gadgets, decent camera, and most importantly TOUGH, I would be very appreciative. I can't emphasise how tough it needs to be, I seem to go through two to three phones a year just from breaking them.

Cheers

Jonno

sprocket

Likes Dirt
the nokia 5140 series is tuff as shite.. i use one for riding as it can take a ponding but the only thing is there a bit bulky

Wooly

Likes Dirt
I'm in the same position as you, nearly, I'm looking for my first phone, and my parents don't know much more than i do, but theres a sony ericson kickn around thats pretty awesome, for a bout 200 bucks, but i can't remmeber which model it is.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Hmmm, tough you say. For the price ($200) the SE K750i seems to be a good choice, 2mp camera mp3s etc... though I am not sure about the tough part. I think you could get away with keeping it in a protective leather case that can be picked up from officeworks (has saved my Motorola plenty of times). My Motorola E1 ROKR has been pretty tough (ie, throwing it as far into the air as possible and it hitting the ground without me getting a hand on it) but I wouldn't reccomend Motorola due to software issues (ie, lagging and restarting when they feel like it).

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Sony Erricson regularly restarts itself, freezes to the point where I need to restart it or just plain won't switch on. I am not particularly happy with it, even before it was run over by my 4x4 for the first time.

I remember Nokia had a phone marketted to builders that had a rubber coating. Anyone know what it was?

GravityGuru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i just got a sony erricson w200i, i like it, but had it been available for optus i would of got the nokia 6300! Nice and slim good camera, look pretty tough, i've found most nokias to be...

|Matt|

Banned
I remember Nokia had a phone marketted to builders that had a rubber coating. Anyone know what it was?
Ahh shit I can't remember the name, but definately get that if you have trouble with breaking phones.

1. My doctor was fishing a dead echidna out of his pool and fell in with his 'builder' phone in his pocket. Put it on the heater for a week and it was right as rain.

2. A friend who is a builder had his drop out of his pocket whilst on a 2nd or 3rd story construction site and land on concrete. Still works.

naz

Criminally Inane

hehehe. its fucken off the hook n not bad priced either (its unlocked, im using my telstra sim in it)

Sam.

Eats Squid
My Sony Erricson regularly restarts itself, freezes to the point where I need to restart it or just plain won't switch on. I am not particularly happy with it, even before it was run over by my 4x4 for the first time.

Hmm, my mate has one. I can't remember the name though it is real tough, and has a level and thermometer in it. The camera is pretty crap though, and it doesn't play mp3's.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!

You're talking about the Nokia 5140. $163 posted to your door on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NOKIA-5140-T...ryZ31230QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I have had one for the last 18 months, it's the 5140i and it's by no means indestructible. I've managed to break the screen once while it was in my pocket. It's got a pretty average camera but is pretty good as a basic phone.

Here's an example of a photo taken with it.

I've been happy with it but I'll be looking for an upgrade to something with bluetooth in the future

pete.c

Likes Dirt
Go for a Nokia N-Series phone if you've got the cash. I've got the N70 and it's the best phone ever, I've dropped it heaps of times and it's still going, Very strong and it has all the features such as 2MP camera, MP3 Player ETC.