MIPS vs non-MIPS helmets when buying a new one?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have both mips and non mips of the same helmet, which have equal ride time.

I have not died of massive brain trauma in either. Draw your own conclusions.
Any memory blackouts (non alcohol related) and tremors or loss of motor control? Had that noggin of yours MRIed recently?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
A thin layer of plastic to enable a few mm of rotation in a crash? Seems like I have MIPS built-in to my head - a full head of hair.

That said, I think I'm about to buy a MIPS helmet ... A Giro Disciple MIPS which doesn't have a non-MIPS version. Only concern is sizing when buying it online to replace an old Giro Mad Max II, seeing as my old one is medium but I'm borderline on large according to sizing guide. Anyone worn both?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
A thin layer of plastic to enable a few mm of rotation in a crash? Seems like I have MIPS built-in to my head - a full head of hair.

That said, I think I'm about to buy a MIPS helmet ... A Giro Disciple MIPS which doesn't have a non-MIPS version. Only concern is sizing when buying it online to replace an old Giro Mad Max II, seeing as my old one is medium but I'm borderline on large according to sizing guide. Anyone worn both?
May not relate to other brands, but with the super, the mips actually seems slightly larger. Luckily, as I have a massive, misshapen loaf.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

I have a medium mad Max 2 that's retired, the medium giro Disi is tight. Had to get a large giro hex as montaro/chronicle didn't sit well. Ditto for 100% options, had to up to get the width.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The foam is what absorbs the impact and I'm yet to be convinced that placing an additional hard piece of plastic between your skull and the impact absorbing polystyrene is a great benefit.
Haha...
I crashed and broke my back and crushed a DH helmet and barely escaped being chair bound or worse since this post.
These days....marketing gimmick or not....if it has more safety features I'll opt in..
Funny how a near paralyzing crash changes your perspective.
Both my new trail and DH helmets have mips.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haha...
I crashed and broke my back and crushed a DH helmet and barely escaped being chair bound or worse since this post.
These days....marketing gimmick or not....if it has more safety features I'll opt in..
Funny how a near paralyzing crash changes your perspective.
Both my new trail and DH helmets have mips.
Far out! Sounds like a lucky escape. How are you getting on now?

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Far out! Sounds like a lucky escape. How are you getting on now?
Still have a bit of occasional pain and reoccurring stiffness if I don't keep up stretches (often as I am quite forgetful and lazy) but getting on ok and enjoying my riding again, but more B line bandit than A line sender these days.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Thanks - I'll take a punt on medium not being too tight.
Are you ordering off MTBD? If so , just order both and send back one using the flat fee return method ($10 I think).

I've currently got the L version and its quite snug

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I have had a few crashes where I should have been more damaged and feel like MIPS helped.

Can't see how it wouldn't help.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Are you ordering off MTBD? If so , just order both and send back one using the flat fee return method ($10 I think).

I've currently got the L version and its quite snug
From T7. So I received the M and it is indeed very snug and it's making the MIPS squeak a little .. Unfortunately T7 don't have the L. Not sure if I can cope with the fit.

Got a couple of Giro Scamp lids too. Online chart says 50-54cm, helmet box says 49-53cm, my son's 52cm head is a tad too big for it. :doh: I really like the extra protection/stability at the rear with that helmet design, but with it not fitting all I can think of is a small Cartelle MIPS which is overkill (IE not cheap.)