MIPS vs non-MIPS helmets when buying a new one?

cracker

Likes Dirt
I understand that the mips is to reduce the rotational forces and in this regard I'm sure it helps but by adding a barrier between the foam and your skull, the same barrier that provides the "slip" for mips you are affecting the way in which the polystyrene is supposed to work.
Each to their own. I'm sure they all protect your noggin, I'm just not convinced that either is better than the other, they each have advantages and disadvantages as I see it, try to look past the marketing.
look up what helmet design rules cover, they are only designed to protect you from near lethal impacts, not mild potentially brain damaging injuries.
the idea of mips is to try and improve your chances of suffer an acquired brain injury, watch the youtube video i posted it explains it quite well.
anything that helps protect your head is a good thing.

SDA

Likes Dirt
I'm yet to find a helmet that moves less than 3mm on my head... actually make that 10mm.

I bought a Scott Mythic (non MIPS) helmet earlier this year. I orginally wanted the Scott Stego (MIPS) helmet - but considering the MIPS cradle created a pressure point on my head, the price was significantly more expensive and a non MIPS helmet moves more than 3mm anyway... I bought the non MIPS version.

I'm not convinced it's worth it on a half shell helmet. On a full face helmet... yeah I'd be interested.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anything that helps protect your head is a good thing.
The average bike helmet moves way more than 15mm on your head when you grab it and wrench it around, so a non-mips helmet is already providing the slip plane that mips claims to offer. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but where's the data that mips provides any benefit for bicycle users specifically? (It probably does help in other applications where the helmet is less mobile on the head of the user, e.g. motor sports).

Your statement above is exactly the thought process that sells expensive helmets and increases profit margins, whether it's true or not should be the point.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Having recently crashed and hit the back of my head hard enough to tear the entire retention system out of the EPS on my helmet due to the "twisting" force (and spending 5 days in hospital with a collapsed lung), I'm all on board any helmet that improves that whole twisting impact dealio. Seriously looking at a bell super with MIPs. Any better performance on the twisting impacts, I am down, cause that sucked.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Having recently crashed and hit the back of my head hard enough to tear the entire retention system out of the EPS on my helmet due to the "twisting" force (and spending 5 days in hospital with a collapsed lung), I'm all on board any helmet that improves that whole twisting impact dealio. Seriously looking at a bell super with MIPs. Any better performance on the twisting impacts, I am down, cause that sucked.
Holy cow mate, glad you're ok. If you don't mind me asking, how'd you end up poking a hole in your lung?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Fractured ribs are the usual cause in a trauma situation like this
Hmmmm, yes that would do it;) I guess my question was a touch broad;what was the mechanism of injury? Did you hit a tree? Impaled by a rogue handlebar? A failed underflip no handed can can? Whatever the MOE, I reckon gravity had something to do with it;)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy cow mate, glad you're ok. If you don't mind me asking, how'd you end up poking a hole in your lung?
Hmmmm, yes that would do it;) I guess my question was a touch broad;what was the mechanism of injury? Did you hit a tree? Impaled by a rogue handlebar? A failed underflip no handed can can? Whatever the MOE, I reckon gravity had something to do with it;)
Just caught a pedal and hit the ground really hard. One of those simple crashes you don't see coming. Doctors said the reason for the collapsed lung was probably due to the rapid chest compression that allowed air to get into the chest cavity that wouldn't allow the lung to re-expand. Sneezing and laughing was brutal for about 5 weeks after.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
But I can still spell 'too'

....maybe all the previous blows with non mips caused my oval, 29" etc hatred? :noidea:
two :tsk:

well you have adopted tubeless, so maybe a purple HT 29er running 2x10 osymetric rings, guide brakes, and a MIPS visorless lid, are not tu far down the track

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
I occasionally do rehab work with people with spinal and brain injuries. Working with these people has made me very aware that you only get one spine and one brain, and they are no where near as robust as you'd like.(one of my clients is in a wheel chair for life after falling from the bottom step of a stepladder putting a box of christmas decorations away). I always ride with a camelback with an inbuilt spine protector, and replace my helmets annually. My next helmet will be a mips helmet- the up to $50 price difference isn't even a consideration. I'm happy to pay for protection I'll hopefully never need.I don't care how small the improvement is over a non-mips helmet- any reduction in risk is a win IMO.

Last edited:

cracker

Likes Dirt
I occasionally do rehab work with people with spinal and brain injuries. Working with these people has made me very aware that you only get one spine and one brain, and they are no where near as robust as you'd like.(one of my clients is in a wheel chair for life after falling from the bottom step of a stepladder putting a box of christmas decorations away). I always ride with a camelback with an inbuilt spine protector, and replace my helmets annually. My next helmet will be a mips helmet- the up to $50 price difference isn't even a consideration. I'm happy to pay for protection I'll hopefully never need.I don't care how small the improvement is over a non-mips helmet- any reduction in risk is a win IMO.
100% agree, paid around $500 for my dirtbike helmet and my mates said i was nuts, $500 helmet $500 head

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
100% agree, paid around $500 for my dirtbike helmet and my mates said i was nuts, $500 helmet $500 head
Used to race Go-Karts, buy the best helmet you can afford, then spend what's left on e everything else.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
Why is it that the potentially most important bit of kit is also among the most expensive ? Considering it's supposed to *save your life* and they're mandatory in this country...
If companies cared so much about making the best product and making sure everyone was rolling in the safest gear, then they would be affordable for everyone. Since we're obligated by law to wear a lid, why isn't there some sort of rebate for buying a "best money can buy" or a free lid scheme for a basic bucket ? The "you get what you pay for" rhetoric is so tired. Are we seriously saying that someone who can't afford a $300 helm is not as worthy of life as someone who can ? Since there's some here who love to stroke the "aussie standards are the best" sausage, then an $8 lid from Kmart is surely just as safe as a $250 Bell super MIPS. Which would lead me to believe that MIPS is solely a money grab.