MIPS vs non-MIPS helmets when buying a new one?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Why is it that the potentially most important bit of kit is also among the most expensive?.
I think in the case, the answer to the question is in the question. I was under the impression that that's how pricing works. The more important it is, the more people want it, therefore the more manufacturers can charge.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Why is it that the potentially most important bit of kit is also among the most expensive ? Considering it's supposed to *save your life* and they're mandatory in this country...
If companies cared so much about making the best product and making sure everyone was rolling in the safest gear, then they would be affordable for everyone. Since we're obligated by law to wear a lid, why isn't there some sort of rebate for buying a "best money can buy" or a free lid scheme for a basic bucket ? The "you get what you pay for" rhetoric is so tired. Are we seriously saying that someone who can't afford a $300 helm is not as worthy of life as someone who can ? Since there's some here who love to stroke the "aussie standards are the best" sausage, then an $8 lid from Kmart is surely just as safe as a $250 Bell super MIPS. Which would lead me to believe that MIPS is solely a money grab.
The price reflects the investment in technology. A Kia Rio costs $17k and a Volvo XC90 costs $90k. They both do basically the same job, both meet the safety standards of their respective markets, but there is a world of difference in the safety aspects of each. Would I prefer to be in a Rio (the car you are most likely to die in) or the XC90 (the car you are least likely to die in) in the event of an accident, no brainer, but can I afford to be in the Volvo? No.

The unfortunate, but realistic cost of being on the bleeding edge of technology, whether it be performance, safety, looks, whatever, is always going to be a high price tag. But trickle down will eventually benefit everyone. Wasn't that long ago, driver airbags were only available as an option on $100k+ cars.

Hell, the pompous jackarses who buy new C class Mercs have been saving our lives for years.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
The price reflects the investment in technology. A Kia Rio costs $17k and a Volvo XC90 costs $90k. They both do basically the same job, both meet the safety standards of their respective markets, but there is a world of difference in the safety aspects of each. Would I prefer to be in a Rio (the car you are most likely to die in) or the XC90 (the car you are least likely to die in) in the event of an accident, no brainer, but can I afford to be in the Volvo? No.

The unfortunate, but realistic cost of being on the bleeding edge of technology, whether it be performance, safety, looks, whatever, is always going to be a high price tag. But trickle down will eventually benefit everyone. Wasn't that long ago, driver airbags were only available as an option on $100k+ cars.

Hell, the pompous jackarses who buy new C class Mercs have been saving our lives for years.
Bit of a rhetorical question as I do understand the principles of business. An acquaintance's wife was in a bad car accident recently where 2 of 3 people were actually killed, they were in some Hyundai or similar--ironically, they are part of the Volvo crowd and were not in their XC60... Volvo standardized the 3 point harness seat belt *and then gave the technology away for free* for the betterment of mankind and car safety. I've only ever owned the 90K bracket of Volvos but I do understand your point. I would say the cars are a bit different in that things like heated seats are a comfort, add nothing to the safety, but add lots to the cost.

It might be good business, but hoarding better technology and making it out of reach for what is probly the majority of bike riders is bullshit. Most people do not ride around on their 10k bikes in their 90k+ cars. Honestly i would support a free lid scheme and cashback for buying something safer/better.

But i'll be damned if my arse will ever be cold again.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I would say the cars are a bit different in that things like heated seats are a comfort, add nothing to the safety, but add lots to the cost.

It might be good business, but hoarding better technology and making it out of reach for what is probly the majority of bike riders is bullshit. Most people do not ride around on their 10k bikes in their 90k+ cars. Honestly i would support a free lid scheme and cashback for buying something safer/better.

But i'll be damned if my arse will ever be cold again.
You missed the point completely it seems. Good business is to recoup the R&D outlay, and its far from hoarding, the product is available to anyone who feels its worth the outlay. Would you prefer that there was no investment or development products and we all had to ride around in foam and fiberglass motorbike helmets? My issue is with the knobs who charge a premium for a bog standard, run of the mill, under ventilated lid with shiny paint and sik grafix. Thats right TLD A1, I'm looking at you.

The car analogy was referring to the fact that all current standard (and legally required) safety features you will find in all modern cars once started out as special options on flagship models affordable by only an elite few Hell, at one point, seatbelts were an optional extra they charged for (and its actually the S class not C merc that I meant). Without the rich poseurs buying these "overpriced" test beds, there would be no research, development or investment in these safety systems to trickle down to us plebs. Volvo may open source their IP on their safety engineering, but they still recoup their outlay for the premium they charge on what is essentially a range of vanilla taxis.

Don't recall mentioning seat warmers.

Which by the way, are the most stupid fucking thing to ever make their way into an Australian delivered car. If your delicate posterior is cold, drive with some fucking pants on!:twitch:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So MIPS has been around for a while now, long enough for plenty of crashes in them too...so does anyone have any stories of coming unstuck in a MIPS equipped helm? Good, bad, myth? Throw us some clarity please.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
So MIPS has been around for a while now, long enough for plenty of crashes in them too...so does anyone have any stories of coming unstuck in a MIPS equipped helm? Good, bad, myth? Throw us some clarity please.
I was wearing a MIPS equipped helmet recently and it caused me to crash my bike and land on my head. Well, I think it was the helmet's fault. Or have I got it mixed up? Was it my fault? What was I saying again? Were we talking about rodents?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Not more of this neck brace science I hope!
Statistically speaking, 38% of all people know that 12% of forum participants that comment on mtn bike safety equipment end up getting really abusive.
(I can't believe you didn't know that already?!..... you f@cking moron/douche bag/dickhead/wanker dumb shit etc etc) :pound:

teK--

Eats Squid
One undesirable side effect of MIPS that I have experienced is that helmet mounted cameras suffer more vibration. But if it brings a safety benefit then it's still worthwhile as 90% of the time I don't use a camera.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm the first to admit that a rosebank stackhat is overcapitalising for my head.
Holy crap, you must be old to remember them!

I had a black one to go with my Repco Tracer, it was super cool. :becky:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Statistically speaking, 38% of all people know that 12% of forum participants that comment on mtn bike safety equipment end up getting really abusive.
(I can't believe you didn't know that already?!..... you f@cking moron/douche bag/dickhead/wanker dumb shit etc etc) :pound:
I would have thought that figure to be much higher fuck face. Are you sure your source is reliable?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Science! all the stats here look pretty spot on.

So did we decide if the MIP's or standard helmet is the go? I am happy to break my neck on the odd occasion, but I'd rather decrease my chance of brain damage?

Pondering a Giro Hex, the last ones been great at preventing brain damage, although I haven't gone headfirst into anything, or spending a bit more for one of the Giro MIPS helmets, but they are too enduro looking - ugly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
90% huh? Sounds like dodgy science to me. Do you have any empirical evidence to back up your claims?

(sorry, I'll stop after this one...)
I'll wager there is some imperial evidence. Apparently all the storm trooper helmets were not MIPS equipped.

Is there any actual evidence on this? Or just the usual marketing hype?

I'd like to hear from peeps who have had to rely on their helmet as well please? I am due for a new helmet or two (full face and skid lid) and would be giving consideration to helmets that are miss enabled...though I'll likely just get another dj style bucket for the open face. Those new Fox aerated jobbies are the front runner for full face. Look suave.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I have both mips and non mips of the same helmet, which have equal ride time.

I have not died of massive brain trauma in either. Draw your own conclusions.